I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On 5/28/2018 at 9:18 PM, BryanL said:

Went for a double hook this time. Made a set of 5 to trade to a buddy for some engine work.

Bryan, you will want to be careful about having such a drastic transition in cross section like you have on those hooks. The flat also has sharp edges, and the strength in that area is greatly reduced.  Punching a hole in the round would spread the sides out and help maintain mass. With hooks the application also needs to be looked at in that with a hook that is not used much may be able to be somewhat narrow. A hook like a coat hook that gets used much more often may need some stabilizing in order to keep the screws from working loose.

Lookin' good, keep at it.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Biggundoctor, thanks for the feedback. I will try to punch the next set and report back how that goes. I need to practice reaching for the punch instead of just drilling. I tend to always rush to the next job but really, I should take the time to practice the basics.

Bryan

Bryan, I've found it helpful to take a piece of round bar on round stock and make a divot in the hole spots. Then punch and use a larger diameter punch to counter sunk the hole so a screw fits flush if you use that type of screw. For flat stock no need for the round bar divot.  Not my better work but an example. 

20180531_211718.jpg

20180531_211741.jpg

Good tip, Das. 

Didn’t have much shop time today, but I did get in some filing on the blank for the small Bowie knife:

54145791-634F-4B6E-9C84-DEA00C51B398.jpeg

Also added some leather uppers to the pair of steel toes I picked up at the industrial surplus place. 

C4F83569-2AC1-40AB-B057-A07E70EA35FA.jpeg

Classy, right?

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:

take a piece of round bar on round stock and make a divot in the hole spots

If you use square bar to make the divot, you get a soft radius on a rectangular divot. It is a different look.

Again, very little shop time, but I did get the blade on the Bowie cleaned up, the rivet holes drilled, and the false edge ground. The O is looking more KS every day. 

66B8A5CC-C036-49DD-945E-1E50E780012E.jpeg

I think we’re ready for heat treat. 

Looking good John. 

Got my 6 roses done. Practically all packed up for the fair tomorrow. I'll get pictures of my tables once I'm setup. Larger sculptures are going to be a pain to load in and I'm really thinking I could use a truck cart next time.  Most of this stuff just doesn't fit nicely in totes lol. 

IMG_01062018_232330.jpg

I would have left a bit more meat on the bowie tip for heat treat.  More grinding afterwards but less chance of failure!

Das are you going to be dancing to the Masochism Tango with one of those roses? (another Tom Lehrer song...a bit rough for some modern sensibilities) 

JHCC right on..  i can never hear this enough from younger Smith's.

Practice makes perfect....

Back in the day i would torture test every blade i made..  simetimes i would use a blade for a week or 2 then throw it in the vise and see if i could snap the blade off..

Between friday and saturday at the NEB meet i must have done 100 forge welds..  while it was all well and good.  The fun part for me was  trouble shooting/fixing the bad welds others were having from a lack of experience.   Stuff most would say is impossible to weld without grinding out yhe weld or cutting and rescarfing..

Everyone of the welds fixed got handed back to the student to finish up or brought to the next stage.. Lots of them were discouraged, but with a quick heat and a little more instruction as to what i was doing and why, had them finishing up the piece with more confidence..

This experince comes from having just a little bit more understanding of what is going on and this only happens with the freedom to know if it doent work, big deal .  Ill just make another. 

Well said and kudos..

14 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Das are you going to be dancing to the Masochism Tango with one of those roses? (another Tom Lehrer song...a bit rough for some modern sensibilities) 

SLAG suggests that Herr Das use cast iron dentures for said tango performance.

SLAG.

Both. There are some WIP photos up-thread. 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JHCC right on..  i can never hear this enough from younger Smith's.

Thank you, Jennifer. Having just passed my 50th birthday, it’s kind of funny to be referred to as a younger smith!

1 hour ago, SLAG said:

SLAG suggests that Herr Das use cast iron dentures for said tango performance.

7043D5E5-DB00-473E-A2C3-B9C1AAA4DF89.jpeg