I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

2 hours ago, Hans Richter said:

Till ten I will continue (not with forging:() again with toolmaking, because the ‘new’ 150lbs UAT comes with a hardy hole of approx. ¾ in, -but all of my tools have approx. 1 ¼ square –same for the home made springer fullers. Anny suggestions for some kind of adapter are more than welcome !!!!!

Till then I make the most common hardy’s from square ¾ mild steel welded by AISI 309 through the 13ChroMo tool body I have to forge/shape. Will share this results to.

Cheers, Hans

Hans, why not just make solid tooling for the anvils.. 3/4" is pretty quick to make tooking for..  Swages can be mild steel.. It's just the hardies that need hardening..  Here is a 3/4" combination hardie I made for someone and only had a vise to do the forging in, as I only own a like new Fisher with factory paint with a 3/4" sq hole and I wasn't about to use it to pound on.. .. 

How do you like the anvil?  Make, model?  70KG? 

20160501_160144.jpg

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jennifer, will mangle the whole 13ChroMo piece, that’s included the hardy and the square to. Unfortunately no other material at my disposal. Will quench it and distress/heat treat is on the usual way. Regarding the 70kg anvil – hi is still ‘virgin’ accept the pimping (wire brushing/coating) and rebound test. Made the fire keeping tool on his ‘bigger brother’ the 250lbs UAT.

Hey JLP, yes we have Gila Monsters, but I have yet to see one in the wild. I have had three big (thumb sized body) hairy scorpions in the house. Two of them were pregnant females. I found that out about one when I looked in the terrarium the next day and saw all of the scorplings.... The bodies on the ones I have seen had bodies the color of lightly worn blue jeans, and yes, if you look really close you can see hairs. The females I had also have these small "arms" that they use for dragging sand when burrowing. They are like animal Swiss Army Knives. I find them very interesting, and toss them back outside to eat the other bugs like cockroaches. Other places see Robins in spring, we get cockroaches......

The Giant Hairy scorpions are the largest in N.America, and supposedly make good pets. I observe from a distance, or through glass myself.

Arkie, that's a nicely forged scorpion. 

Biggun, I started making them from a Google image and to be honest I saw 3 (each side) other then the claws. Might be a different kind, might have missed it. I'll be darned if I haven't seen four on others I've seen since then but the last one and one I'm working on tonight, they just don't want to fit right so I've been lazy. Not done with this one so I might ad them. 

IMG_22052018_215113.jpg

IMG_22052018_215105.jpg

Not in the shop, but to the shop. A couple of days ago I noticed a garage door spring on the floor and thought my wife had picked it up on one of her "junking trips".

Today I went to open the main garage door (for ventilation) which the smithy is attached to and it jammed on the way up. I then realized the spring was off the door and had the ring on one end snapped off. Broke out the O/A torch and used scroll tongs to reform a hook on the spring to reattach it. Door working fine now. (sorry no pictures)

Irondragon, just a word of caution from my experience. 

I had a garage door spring break on me closing the garage door ( thankfully from the outside). It shot off and put a inch deep dent in the Corner a metal cabinet it hit. I also torched and bent it to reuse it. It broke again and flew dangerously around a month later.  After that I bought new springs and installed them and the safety cable that came with them. Not an issue since. At least install a safety cable through them if you want to keep it. For what mine did when it broke that could have been death if it hit me in the head when it broke. 

Ok Biggun. Added two more legs. :)

Not the best but it'll work. I'll try to get them better in the future. 

IMG_22052018_222714.jpg

IMG_22052018_222723.jpg

IMG_22052018_222746.jpg

7 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Not in the shop, but to the shop. A couple of days ago I noticed a garage door spring on the floor and thought my wife had picked it up on one of her "junking trips".

Today I went to open the main garage door (for ventilation) which the smithy is attached to and it jammed on the way up. I then realized the spring was off the door and had the ring on one end snapped off. Broke out the O/A torch and used scroll tongs to reform a hook on the spring to reattach it. Door working fine now. (sorry no pictures)

I have done this a few times to my own door springs..  I orginally used just a single loop like original and it broke again even after it was softened some with the torch once it was bent..  I then used 2 coils and it's been good for a few years.. 

Those are some nice looking scorpions, both of you. I got a couple bottle openers done today... Well, the finger fulcrum fob opener is done. I coated it in avocado oil and brought it up to bronze before I got in trouble for using the kitchen oven. I had to test to see if the wrench opener works. Both side work great. Now it will get some gentle groves along the sides for comfort, a 270° twist so both sides open in the same direction and a little spit polish to finish it.

IMG_20180523_014123514~2.jpg

Yeah, great looking scorpion, Das. Good to see you added the other two legs. Gotta be anatomically correct, ay!  Chain makes a really good tail, but do you find it difficult to weld? The contact between links is not very good and you keep having to shift the earth connection. I like the curve you have there.

I am still working on the big one. He's getting pretty heavy though, and I had to winch him up to the roof of the workshop to weld under the underside where the legs connect. Should be able to post a finished pic soon.

I made this last night, my wife wants somewhere to plant her strawberries so I made her a bracket.

It was my first go at tennons, I did them at the edge of the anvil and using the bolster plate I made with my dad.

Thanks,

Luke

20180522_214701[1].jpg

20180522_214709[1].jpg

36 minutes ago, Zeroclick said:

I made this last night, my wife wants somewhere to plant her strawberries so I made her a bracket.

It was my first go at tennons, I did them at the edge of the anvil and using the bolster plate I made with my dad.

Thanks,

Luke

20180522_214701[1].jpg

20180522_214709[1].jpg

Nice work..  for future reference a diagonal brace is stonger than what you have there..

You may find that pot filled with dirt and water may make the top arm sag some..

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Nice work..  for future reference a diagonal brace is stonger than what you have there..

You may find that pot filled with dirt and water may make the top arm sag some..

Thanks,

I will have a look how it holds up, I have another one to make so might go for more of an angle. It makes sense with triangles being the strongest shape.

I'm hoping it will hold up as the top bar is 10mm and the support is 8mm,

58 minutes ago, sfeile said:

Zeroclick, nice work!

Thank you

3 hours ago, ausfire said:

Gotta be anatomically correct, ay! 

Well we gotta try when we know better. ;)

Welding chain Is a real pain. Don't know why but some is easier then others. I was thinking next time I'll make a small form and tack it to the welding table because this one was jumping all over almost every time I struck an arc. 

I can see I'll be utilizing my engine hoist when I start making bigger stuff. Heaviest piece I made so far was my vulture. Haven't weighed it yet but it's the heaviest. 

Nice opener Shabumi. People like the wrench openers here. One time I had a lady ask me what kind of wrench it was. I told her it was a bottle wrench, and explained it. 

Nice hanger Luke. 

So my wife got the basket all planted up today and it didn't just fall apart so I'm taking it as a success :lol:

I also swapped the screws I was happy with the silver counter screws I put in so swapped for black flat heads. Suits it a lot better.

20180523_202718.jpg

20180523_202712.jpg

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Well we gotta try when we know better. ;)

this one was jumping all over almost every time I struck an arc.

The scorpion appreciates the extra two legs so it is no longer a lowly insect, but a mighty arachnid.

In many pictures from the side the smaller front legs are covered by the front pincers.

If you would get that TIG  practice in you would not have chain jumping around on you ..... ;) Plus you could just fuse the chain plates for a clean look. Trust me, once you get good at TIG you will want to do everything with it.

52 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

once you get good at TIG you will want to do everything with it.

Ugh. I know. Maybe I just need to force myself to use it or at least start trying. I always just grab the mig because I know it, and I'm rarely in the shop without needing to get something made, fixed or done and when I am I'm "attempting" to clean and organize. 

Time to just do it. Next chain I'll try it with the tig.