I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I have to disagree with you Jenifer. We all have a lot of original thoughts that just doesn't mean we're the first ones to think them or make it real. 

It may not be intuitive but there is a real difference between original and first.

Thanks for the reference links Gergley! 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58er' That is some cool artistry! You've got some patience buddy!

Well the wife wanted me to continue on the garden Snake theme..... So I decided to up the game and try a rasp Snake. Good use for a worn Farrier's rasp. The darn thing wanted to twist constantly while hammering it in the swage block.

Turned out OK for the first try though. 

I have a real cool idea for my next Snake project. Starting tomorrow.....

RASP SNAKE ROUGH SHAPE.jpg

IMG_20180331_144125.jpg

IMG_20180331_144132.jpg

I finished my first tomahawk today. I laminated a piece of the rasp in between the two halves to give the blade a little more mass and also to have the sharpened edge fall within the bit, instead of having the forge weld joint right there... A3C1FF7C-5A5A-4367-8E87-34482662EC20.thumb.jpeg.ff41b4baacccd11b7ae26afa8d393c37.jpeg6C8D1F33-97D4-4802-96B7-ABC39D50CE4D.thumb.jpeg.fb6fd0fd7fe7f961ae85bee96f67029a.jpeg22430FBF-29E1-4F00-BA59-6FE9E7336005.thumb.jpeg.20ccbedfca2077ee768236b404ac03bf.jpeg70E07847-65FE-4E0E-B000-8F38B6330B1E.thumb.jpeg.097f89b7359d82d621b0e9f36be31353.jpeg

14A48709-4013-4082-8CD9-C6306B94962C.jpeg

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

HammerMonkey, Nice work there.. It came out really nicely.. Rasps weld up nicely..  It always seems strange to me how a Rasp will weld like butter but you try the same thing with a file and its just not as easy..  Well done..

Thanks JLP. I don’t have a lot of experience with welding yet, so “butter” is not the first word that springs to mind to describe my experience. But I am very proud of the result. I’ll keep practicing and striving for that level of skill & competence. 

Speaking of skill & competence, do you have any new videos in work? I really learn a lot from watching you!

3 hours ago, ausfire said:

Great tomahawk Hammer Monkey. Nice that you can see it started as a rasp. Looks like Coco gives her seal of approval also.

Thanks Aus! I do like it when the origins of the material is evident.

Coco usually is off in the corner of the shop sleeping, then she magically appears to photobomb when I pick up the camera. :rolleyes:

After an early Easter dinner with the family, I'm just working on some ideas relaxing in my shop and about with some cold beverages. 

Got a plan to use up some dead space in the trailer beside the roll out floor as stock storage with some schedule 40 4" plastic pipe. It will easily come out if any pieces slide back in the pipe. Just need to get some pipe and a couple caps for the back sides. A strip of wood will keep against the walls. 

Maldonado toying with my demo forge legs. On the ends in going to weld cross braces and the long sides will have removable braces. Probably just an upside down |_____| piece that will slide into pipe pieces welded to the legs. That way it'll disassemble easier and lay flat-ish. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get out and demo this year so I'm looking forward to it now that I'm getting my setup ready and got a trailer. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, HammerMonkey said:

Speaking of skill & competence, do you have any new videos in work? I really learn a lot from watching you!

Well, yes I do actually..  One is a long one on Thumb latch making.. It won't be a "How to" more of a watch it happen kind of deal. Wisp Ball thru cusp latch. 

Then today I spent a time  running the new Fiskars hammer through it's paces (nail making, forge welding and restoration of a wrought iron bar back into a rope guard/holder and a square 90D corner weld. ..  Was a good day in the forge.. spent a little over 3hrs just forging away with the new hammer.. :) 

20180401_171547.jpg

Good to see you getting underway with the demo trailer, Das. Keep us updated on the progress.

Been very busy with demos here over Easter. Mostly just the usual touristy sort of stuff, but I did like this cube twist bottle opener. Railway enthusiasts like these:

spike opener a.JPG

Aus, It's nothing like JLPs trailer but it will haul all I need and I plan to deck it out with a power inverter and other things to make the job easy, and easily pack and unpack. The slide out will make that way easy. Nice cube twist on the spike. I've got a Lot to make before I have a full table to sell with. The scrap sculptures always help fill the tables lol.

image.jpg

Ok. Got the demo forge V-1 done. I'm sure I'll make others. Still have to wire up the 12v blower and get or make a flap cap for the ash dump but the main body part is done for now other then paint. 

Breaks down to lay fairly flat. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg