• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well not exactly today, but over the last couple of days while visitor numbers are low (too hot),  I have been giving the forge area a bit of a work over. The floor was very uneven with a build up of ash and charcoal dust from the last five years or so. Not good for the back to be standing on uneven ground all the time while turning the blower. I found a  heap of old clay bricks to make a better floor. Trouble is, the floor was already a bit high, and adding bricks would make the anvil way too low. The build up had been slow over the years and I hadn't really noticed it much. So we had to do some excavation - about four inches of hard packed ash first which had to be broken up with a pick. Then about the same amount again to make up for the additional height of the bricks. And then a bit more. The result is a level floor with the anvil at a comfortable height. The first demo with the new floor was great - nothing to trip over and much more room after shifting a few things around. I'll be sure to sweep away the ash every few days.

Here's a pic after the work was completed. I ran out of solid brick and had to go find some holey ones to finish the job:

my forge 1.JPG

my forge 2.JPG

ausfire - In my mind you are the Man..   No smoke stack which means the smoke, soot and ash just fall all over the place.. You did a great job cleaning up.. 

I personally would rather take a punch to the face than work with no stack..   Unless working with charcoal..  Then it doesn't matter.. But soft coal.. Uhggg.. 

13 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

as mentioned earlier, there was no way to make everybody happy.  No matter where I stood  I would block somebody.

During public demos I will turn my back to the crowd when forge welding as then my apron will shield any spatter that is heading their way..    During blacksmithing meets I don't but any demos outside professional realms I do.. 

I now have plexi glass drop downs in the demo trailer as something flying off into the crowd is never a good thing and over the 30+ years I have seen many a by stander get hit with slag and other things.. 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

ausfire - In my mind you are the Man..   No smoke stack which means the smoke, soot and ash just fall all over the place.. You did a great job cleaning up.. 

I personally would rather take a punch to the face than work with no stack..   Unless working with charcoal..  Then it doesn't matter.. But soft coal.. Uhggg.. 

Exclusively charcoal I'm my forge, jlp.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I don’t have a stack over my JABOD, and I’m burning rice coal (anthracite). There’s very little smoke (except when first starting the fire, and that’s usually from the kindling). I’d never do it with soft coal, though. Uhggg indeed. 

Thomas Powers Yeah, I can probably salvage something out of it, and it took me 5 years to actually get around to putting lights in there. Don't be getting needy with the covers already. :lol: Although in the long run they may be cheaper than the bulbs.

Doesn't help that my rafters are only about six and a half feet off the floor, so it doesn't leave much room to hang a shop light from.

I made 4 of these........

IMG_2059.JPG.18a5ee2b8288cc3de4f64618e3e1f74d.JPG

And did this with them.........

IMG_2060.JPG.ef73cbc4b8436ec3f5a42fa06fe76e2b.JPG

I'm really happy with how it turned out

It took a couple hours and I consider this my first "tool" project.

I used my post vice to bend the corners and cleaned up on the anvil.  It was the first time I used the vise to forge. Fun!

My forge 

IMG_2064-2.JPG.374263c7891c4eae20480f114795d572.JPG

thanks for looking

Ranchmanben -

That's real nice work, Ben!

If I may suggest: shorten the cutter tool for the power hammer. A tool that tall can be very dangerous. You don't need more height than 1 1/2" - you can cut through 3" thick bar with it.

I use this one, it's made of the equivalent of AISI L6 hot working tool steel, it's 30mm (1 1/4") tall:

5a8fc091bc022_201711nk2gkvago2.thumb.jpg.f88a868f8529ece53822a2af597b57cd.jpg

John Rigoni has a great video on youtube about the how to.

Bests:

Gergely

8 hours ago, Mtnstream said:

ausfire, Is that a slab workbench against the back wall?...looks to be 4 inches thick. That alone says "days gone by". Great looking shop!!

No, just a big lump of 4 x 8 which I use for a shelf for things I need to keep handy: wire brushes, timber mauls, borax, drink bottle etc.

Rolled 2 rings for a chandelier project to keep the wife happy. PS: the centerpiece made me happy. I didn't have the capability to roll steel this wide so I used angle rings as a bending jig and with a little heat I think it worked out. Larger is 30", smaller is 20".

27459971_184113765690913_5558469034593212318_n.thumb.jpg.649d04e72275e37162fb7261c2826436.jpg