Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Foundryman said:

everything looks very neat and uniform, good job, one to be proud of!

Thank you! The two biggest learning points were to slow down and pay attention, and reference marks drawn on the anvil are a huge help in keeping things uniform.

It is suppose to hold the kids school bags. My wife asked for something to help keep them organized. I agree that the hooks are too sharp for coats. I have been playing with different finials for those.

1 hour ago, arkie said:

fishtail finial usually works fine for coat hooks

I haven’t tried those yet. I have been playing with John Switzer’s technique for ball ends and have done an angled type ( not sure of the name). My ball ends are no we’re near as nice as his, but just more excuse to practice. I’ll have to find the other hook and take a picture to illustrate.

16 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I don't know yet Aus. I'm sure I'll try eventually. I'd at least hang onto that V plow point. Looks like a good Large mantis head. The arch piece from a plow looks like a fun piece too. 

I have to say that's one beautiful scrap wall :) 

Yeah, Das, I might hang onto that. As you would know, there are ways of attaching unweldable shapes using MS bolts. Those arch pieces from the ploughs are weird steel - great swan-neck shape though. I'll keep a couple and chuck the rest.

Today, I spent some time trying to find things that are matching pairs. You would know that too; when you make scrap art animals, pairs of things are handy.

And as for the scrap wall, one day when I tidy it up, I'll post a pic of the other side where my home smithy is. Too untidy right now.

16 hours ago, jeremy k said:

The worst thing I see at demos, is the person demoing puts their back to the crowd to shield what they are trying to "show". You'd be surprised at how often that happens.

Great photo of Mark at the demo! Maybe he's shielding the work from the crowd to avoid sparks flying there. That bar looks pretty hot.  I do it all the time until the steel cools a bit, but my crowd is a lot closer than those people.

Some serious hammers standing beside you there!

Holesaw and a few more supplies arrived, so I got a bit more fabrication done on the new forge and the refractory cement added. 

ORdd83ch.jpg

Supposedly rated to 1700C/3092F, so fingers crossed it'll last well. 

Now to stand back, let it air dry then fire it up... And pickup a few more soft fire bricks for the front/back doors and some VHT paint to tidy up the appearance. 

I had a good time in the shop today.  I decided to work on the leaf technique I recently learned from @JHCC so I made a few keychain jinglies my wife and mother requested.  Then I sized and fit up the tongs I made for flat stock/knife making.

20F36910-F38D-4D66-8AC2-DBD845490BB3.thumb.jpeg.1d0ca18c01a052ae9ee35906b9f725ef.jpeg

Got some beeswax on the anvil...it’s not rust.

97567395-93DC-45BC-B31A-D601DCC42A72.thumb.jpeg.614fb1d32b060e6f990c6864e9ec508f.jpeg

AA1FC704-3394-4954-A8A5-09CF02EBA79C.thumb.jpeg.19e38ae5943725d3e5868ce04c395d65.jpeg

3 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

@Lou L these to finish that billet?

For sure.  I started it but was not happy with my tong options.  It was hard to control and made me slower and less accurate.  I expect to be grinding that knife soon..perhaps tomorrow.  I need to get some grinding experience u dear my belt because a friend has requested some complex knives from me and I am currently unequipped to make them.

That's a nice looking nail header Reeltree. 

Aus, you know I love seeing the cool stuff you got down there. 

100% on the matching parts. Pairs are great. They are good to keep together in the piles. 

I havnt been in the shop this weekend other then to grab some tools to work in my basement. Had bad rain and being sick of getting a wet basement I installed a sump pump in the floor. 

I'd rather be forging. :) 

Assemble the new welding- and cutting machine, and cut & weld at first …………………………. a welding/cutting trolley to be mobile in the shop and get rite of all the bungling torches and cables. Will ask the lady of the house again to give it a nice and shiny paint job.

Welded with 1/32in massive wire on 115Amps and have a nice and quiet short arc.

This equipment will help a lot to make faster and efficient the kind of garden decoration I make for sale to have a little pay back.

Trolly.jpg

Dragon fly scrap metal.jpg

Tulip scrap metal.jpg

Bottle tree.jpg

I had a friend beg me to make a heart trinket for him after he saw the simple little one I made for Olivia. He wants to give it to his wife for their anniversary... I told him that he better attach it to something really nice or he'll be in deep trouble! lol. I made this one a little more symmetrical than the first one, and got another twist in the leafy parts.

new heart.jpg

@Shady McGrady + @Daswulf Hi gents, thanks and very nice you like the stuff. What’s about this guy below, made from AISI316, body glass pearl blasted, wings ornamental sanded. After the work on all the equipment it’s time to make some creations again. Shady I like your stuff to, but missing the patience to carry out this filigree work.

For the dragonfly’s you only need some tube scrap from 2in till 3/4 in and some sheet metal leftovers. Ones you cut the parts together, it cost you less than half an hour to assemble. If someone interested to know the dimensions feel free to ask. However I have a subscription for dragonfly’s ;)

Dragon fly INOX.jpg