• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Aus, that turned out great. Try a donkey head hammer next. :D 

Yes, I think the hammer face has more of a donkey shape. I reckon you could upset it a bit ( a lot) and make a pig.

Judson: That's a good idea. Plenty of mass there to make an adze. Don't know what sort of steel is in a claw hammer, but I guess it would hold a reasonable edge.

JHCC: :) Great-looking chair. Wouldn't a punch be a bit awkward with one claw off centre??

Over the last few days I decided to build a shelter over one of my scrap piles. Rain, grass, mud, rats and snakes and a tangle of steel that defies all attempts to separate pieces to find the one you're looking for is not  good. I built a 2m extension over the back of my home smithy and today I dragged out the old scrap so that I can sort it out and throw out the rubbish. Most of this pile has a lot of old agricultural parts - ploughs, buggy axles and fittings, along with various other stuff. There is a lot of wrought iron there (1 inch rods and bolts) which I will cut into usable lengths and store away in case someone can use it. There are some very interesting machinery pieces which will make good bases for sculptures and a whole heap of springs, some of which I'll keep.

Tomorrow I'll back the trailer up there and take a load to the dump. Here are a few pics. The chooks and guinea fowl chicks enjoyed scratching around in the leaves and picking up the termites that had got into some old posts.

smithy scrap1.JPG

smithy scrap2.JPG

smithy scrap3.JPG

smithy scrap4.JPG

smithy scrap5.JPG

smithy scrap6.JPG

Yup, that is a lot of beautiful old scrap waiting to become something even better. 

I need to get mine setup where I can better find what I'm looking for as well. 

As soon as you move something crooks and guinea fowl are always there to dig in the "new" spot for goodies. :) 

How about a giant spur from that yoke in the next to last picture on the left and maybe that gear/ cog in the one before it towards the right?  Haha haven't had my coffee yet, I'll be getting all kinds of ideas from Your scrap. :D I think I need to go poke around in mine more. Can't wait for the weather to improve a bit here. 

and Stitch; would you be humming the Katamari Damacy theme song whilst doing that?

Out here in the desert I put down old steel roofing to help curb sagebrush growth.  I've been told rattlesnakes like scrap piles but I haven't seen any yet there.  Now black widow spiders and scorpions abound...

Stitch: This is just one of several piles at my place and you would be most welcome! That's the trouble here - there are not enough blacksmiths around to share all this stuff with. I will only ever use a fraction, and anyone is welcome to take whatever they want.

Shady: Awesome? And you haven't seen the other side of that smithy wall. :o

JHCC: First practice coming up today.

Das: A giant spur - that would be a good gift for the local rodeo people. There are a few of those yokes around. I don't know what they were used for - maybe heavy rollers or something. And yes, those little guinea fowl were onto anything that moved under that scrap: spiders, scorpions, centipedes nothing had a chance.

Aus, have you reached out to some of the smiths in the surrounding areas? Not just on here, but I see a few postings from OZ on FB smithing pages.  And it wouldn't just be smiths that might be interested, around here they use a lot of that stuff for yard art. Maybe line it up along walkways with a sign that says, if you see something you like we will sell it to you.

My friend (4Elements) came over today and brought his new homemade side blast charcoal forge with him. We fired it up and tried some forge welding. It is really an awesome setup and it works great!

Then we fired up my bottom blast charcoal forge and tuned it up a bit. It actually worked really well too. I knocked out a rustic little flux spoon first, then forge welded three links together to make a little practice chain.  It was a nice day to be forging out of doors and it was great spending time with a good friend and a skilled mentor. I am mostly self taught and the chance to work with someone who is experienced is golden. Thanks Byron!

08911DD9-7439-459B-BDDF-E078CB7201DE.jpeg

FB1D32B8-AE30-46EA-A998-47475428169D.jpeg

1330B3E2-31CC-4B39-9812-9B7C2E45FC72.jpeg

That's a beautiful rose, Ranchmanben!

Some hearts to sell before Valentine's, there are gonna be names in them:

5a7fd1ab3a3d7_201802acelszivek.thumb.jpg.22a48456d07631a4bfb220d5836735c2.jpg

A house number:

5a7fd1accbafb_201802hazszamkesz.thumb.jpg.67ef0f0ec9e55e2c2d89671de0a33d54.jpg

And some Transsylvanian-Hungarian rune key fobs that people tend to like around here. Made of old wrought iron harrow tines:

5a7fd1adb241a_201802rovaskulcst.thumb.jpg.923933238a5d5906114dda3ab794fbf3.jpg

Bests:

Gergely

6 hours ago, MotoMike said:

made a couple small skulls and a twisted cross with my second grandson Brody.  

That's awesome Mike!

My daughters boyfriend was supposed to stop today to work on his project, but he never showed up. I got my hardy cone fit and done, screwed up a candle holder, and did a whole bunch of work making another pair of tongs only to mess them up when I pinned them. I think I punched my holes out of round because as soon as I started to set the pin they completely froze up on me. Bent the handles trying to get them to move......

Refurbish a couple of fullers, hammers, top swags and tongs for the upcoming workshops. Will treat the hammers and handles with a layer of double cooked linseed oil and the tongs to. Will see how long its maintain outside with all the humidity.

Mike -nice to see how Brody is punching the sculls :) 

IMG_20180210_135659.jpg

IMG_20180210_214911.jpg

10 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Aus, have you reached out to some of the smiths in the surrounding areas? Not just on here, but I see a few postings from OZ on FB smithing pages.  And it wouldn't just be smiths that might be interested, around here they use a lot of that stuff for yard art. Maybe line it up along walkways with a sign that says, if you see something you like we will sell it to you.

Well, yes, a couple of the local smiths have taken some of the scrap - mainly from our workplace scrap piles. The scrap I have at home is mostly what I have saved from going to the scrapyard. I know a lot of it would be useful for yard art and I do a fair bit of that myself. But there comes a time when you get just too much. I would be happy for anyone to take what they can use. I think from what I read on this site, that scrap must be a lot easier to come by here than it is in other places. Maybe the smiths here have already got all they can use.

Forged a couple of Fredrick's crosses (12mm square bar) and tested out the texturing hammer. Works OK.

Also took up JHCC's suggestion and had a go at forging a punch from a claw hammer. I was a bit doubtful about moving the metal across to centre the claw but it went better than expected. I think the resultant punch is OK for a first try. I guess the next step is to heat treat. Perhaps I'll forge another one as a slot punch.

fred cross1.JPG

fred cross2.JPG

hammer punch.JPG

hammer punch1.JPG

Ausfire- Was that a cone mandrel I saw in your scrap pile?:o

Littleblacksmith