• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I thought it was a good match. With some of the even heavier hammering I've toyed with it went pretty easily. The texturing was with a junky ball pien that I ground grooves into the face of. Been a while since I used it. ( actually I just recently found it again while cleaning up) :rolleyes:

I have a bunch sold as soon as I make them. 

yesterday I made this steel striker out of an old, useless file. It has been quenched in water when it was yellow. I read a big grain is better for the strikers. Actually it works well and I have been able to start a fire using it with a piece of flint and some char cloth in few minutes even if I never used a flint & steel before yesterday.

acciarino1.jpg

13 hours ago, ausfire said:

I'm going out to the scrap to find an old ball pien hammer and I'll make one of those texturing hammers.

Here’s one I made a little while back from a fleamarket ball peen, with a bunch of semi-random grooves carved with a cutoff disc in an angle grinder. I use it as a hammer rather a struck tool. 

5AFAFCF2-4AC2-44A2-BD31-B6921430C6EA.jpeg

6 hours ago, loneronin said:

yesterday I made this steel striker out of an old, useless file.

Very nice, loneronin. The distorted teeth make an appealing snakeskin or fishscale texture, which is very pleasing to the eye.

Warmed up to about 22 today, so I went out for a while until my tank started freezing.

Made a hold down out of some motorcycle chain, made a pair of pickup tongs (admittedly from blanks), and did most of the heavy hitting to turn a bullpin into a hardy cone. It's not even from side to side because I used a 2 pound sledge as a "flatter" and struck with an 8 pound to move it quicker. When I clean up the shoulders I'll grind a little more off those sides to make a shoulder there. In hindsight, I probably should have placed a piece of plate under it to do that while I was striking.

But at least the hold down worked well!

DSC_0573.thumb.JPG.eeb635116c372c9d8d5bf56a966db228.JPG

DSC_0574.thumb.JPG.76fc2a4371c209cb1acf068c74a963dc.JPG

DSC_0575.thumb.JPG.2a3675be4df4f616682061bfdd5773bb.JPG

Yes that's snow on the boots. We only have about 4 inches of snow right now, so that's not too bad. Our frost line (how far down the ground freezes) is 6 feet, so my dirt "floor" is pretty darn cold. I tried going out a few times when it was down around 4 degrees Fahrenheit, but that was  just too cold.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

sfeile, the cone doesn't have to be perfect to be functional. The tongs look like they turned out nice. 

Thanks Das. I know it doesn't have to be perfect, but since my hardy hole is a little crooked and weird, I'll just clean it up as I customize it to sit straight.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

The cone does not have to be oriented with the square of the hardie hole. The cone is circular.

Right, but I wanted it to be somewhat perpendicular to the face of the anvil. The hardy hole isn't. It goes in at an angle where the bottom is closer to the horn than the top.

I made a sort of bottom fuller type tool for putting a radius in the edge of flat stock for ease of isolating the area for the hinge plate when I make tongs. (I just laid some 5/8 round on the end of a piece of square and welded it to make a "T".) It will only fit flat one way. If you put it in backwards the "pin" on it will be off the anvil face almost 3/4 of an inch towards the horn but touching near the heel. So it's probably about 3/8 of an inch out of square.

I know I could still use it that way, I just wanted it to look better.

you mean a plate that sits on top? or a sleeve that fits inside? It's only a 3/4 inch hardy to begin with so I don't want to do a sleeve.  If I use a plate on top, won't the cone will still come up crooked? The face is level, so anything made somewhat true that goes into the hole will still come out at an angle won't it? 

Greetings Sfeile,

I would just use a cut off disc on your grinder to cut a flush surface to center your tool . Next step is to add a bit of weld to the stem to tighten it up in the hardy hole . Grind the stem to a tight fit .  Easy fix

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Second cross using the new portabandsaw. I got the cut a little crooked but it still turned out somewhat "ok". An experiment on the top with a square punch ( which I like.) Brass brushed and a square nail bail. Just the cross is 8 3/4" tall 5" wide. Made from 3/4" square MS stock. My fine lady helped in holding while I textured it. :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Aus, my texturing hammer is much like the one JHCC showed. I mostly use it as a struck tool tho. I plan to get many more junk ball piens and other hammers to convert this spring and summer. Most hammer heads I have are too good to " convert"

image.jpg

image.jpg

16 hours ago, sfeile said:

That's on my list. Been looking at those little propane torpedo heaters actually. $75 or so from tractor supply.

I bought one from Tractor Supply and I use it to keep my shop just warm overnight. I also picked up a  water tank heater from TSC to keep my slack water from freezing. I put it on an 8 hour overnight cycle timer. Both work excellent in sub freezing temperatures! 

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Aus, my texturing hammer is much like the one JHCC showed. I mostly use it as a struck tool tho. I plan to get many more junk ball piens and other hammers to convert this spring and summer. Most hammer heads I have are too good to " convert"

I made one today similar to the one JHCC posted. I tested it on a lead sheet and the texturing is pretty much what I wanted. I'll try it on the real deal tomorrow. Also had a hunt around in the scrap some hammers to make a dog head hammer. Found about 30 claw hammers. I reckon four of those would make the most awesome nippers for a giant scorpion. They would also weld together nicely to make an interesting coffee table top. I might even put a handle on one and make a hammer.