• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MacLeod, I have been trying to figure out how to make them out of pipe so that i can run wire through them to get an electric light. I do not want to weld them or I want to have at least the appearance of traditional joinery. I tried an LED solar light, it was nice for about a month then it just kind of piddled out. 

I got that same dark problem but it is the front of my house. When i bought the house i did not notice that it did not have a single outside light. So first thing i did was hang a nice HPS lamp outside my shop. Lights the backyard up nicely but the front is still dark. We use the back as the main entrance though so for me it is no big deal. The wife however likes to walk to work a lot and she does not get home till after dark and wants something to light up the front of the house. 

Alexandr fantastic work as always..  It's great seeing your consistency..  Great work day in and day out.. 

Today was the first time at the forge in a while. 

I had a broken strap hinge come in for repair. 

Also attempted a pair of wing dividers out of wrought iron..  This is some really nice wrought iron but it has a tendency to fracture across the grain. 

First attempt ever at making this style..   Happy with the process overall..  The wrought iron really makes me push my forging prowess..  

I have a video film session on the 9th so I have to dial it in by then.   If I can't get the wrought iron to not fracture I'll just make them from mild steel.   The tips are tool steel.. 

I'll make a set and etch them..  should be cool. 

The dividers were forged to size.. There was no allowance for material to be removed in finishing more than just a clean up. 

This means all the angles were forged in..  I might have pushed the level of prescision past the point.. With closed dies it's easy.. But open anvil forging.. Well. 

Front stap hinge fix (1) - frame at 0m19s.jpg

Front stap hinge fix (2).mp4[00_00_15][20231127-66727073.6375].png

20231127_164130.jpg

20231127_164140.jpg

Edited by jlpservicesinc

I worked with some wrought iron today. Big, heavy inch and a half round bolts from a grain elevator that burned down. It moved like butter under my hammer. I found that using a 3 or 4 lb dog's head hammer really aided in keeping it square while breaking it down. I was going to wait until I made my forge press to mess with the wrought iron but I got a little squirrely. 

I squared the bar up and then drilled a ½ inch hole to start the eye. Normally I would punch the eye but I've had my last few hammers split on me. I drifted the eye to about .7"×.950" which should be enough to fit my handles. Here is where I made my mistake... I welded a bit of scrap jackhammer bit on to the front for a hitting face. (The bit was hardenable). This was mostly experimentation. Both faces were perfectly cleane of scale, oil and grime but somehow still didn't weld. I tried fluxing, getting it really hot and nothing worked. I am wondering if I cooked the HC steel when I was trying to weld it because, if I remember correctly, WI takes a higher heat to weld. Anyway I will try to salvage it but maybe it'll find its home in the scrap bin. I may try welding a bit of 1045 to the face instead of mystery steel. Rookie mistake, am I right? Also I didn't put a HC bit in the cross pein end. Well live and learn I suppose. 

Cheers!

WFF

20231130_143009.jpg

20231130_143100.jpg

20231130_143239.jpg

20231130_143358.jpg

20231130_162640.jpg

20231130_162627.jpg

Hola, White Fox. Sounds like a fun day either way. Heck, you've probably made more hammers than me, and my apologies if you are more experienced, but if your hammer has been splitting from punching, I would consider the usual slit and drift for regular steel and working the hammer with the drift still in the eye.

With wrought's tendency to split though, you might find it useful to drill small holes at the ends of where you want your slit to be to stop it from splitting when slit. If it is a very rough grain, it is even more likely to split and may need to be cleaned up a bit.

You're right that wrought welds pretty hot and might get close to burning the steel. Bealer describes a couple of ways to weld a steel face onto an iron bar for a hammer in Chapter Six of The Art of Blacksmithing. If you're having trouble and the steel isn't burnt, you might try the trick he describes of cutting teeth into the corners of four sides of the steel, perpendicular to the face, then driving the teeth cold into the face of the white-hot wrought iron before welding.

That might also help with the other problem I've run into with welding steel to wrought; when you quench, even with good welds, wrought sometimes likes to shear off from the steel. It's worse with thin cross sections, but I'd hate to have it happen on a hammer.

I'm sure there are people on here who have worked wrought a lot more than me, feel free to correct me. I mostly like to use it for decorative pieces, so I can show off the grain. Last one was a heart I made for my wife from a marine bolt I found on the beach.

Way back in 2004 I lit my first brake drum forge full of charcoal the Friday after Thanksgiving and have kept up that Black(smith) Friday tradition ever since. This year, with Becky Schimpf's article in the CBA magazine in hand, I tried a Colonial Style Keyhole spatula according the Becky's method. You isolate a 'pillow' of material, 2 inches from the end of a 1/4 by 3/4 bar. When the blade end of the spatula is peened wide, the keyhole shape just appears. No filing on this!  First attempt, pillow was too big. Second attempt, the fullering wasn't centered on the stock. Third times the charm! I've been chasing this shape of spatula for years and years now without success until now. 

IMG_1553.JPEG

IMG_1553-1.JPEG

IMG_1555.JPEG

IMG_1560.JPEG

IMG_1561.JPEG

Try a different "KNOWN" steel for the face. I'm betting the jack hammer bit "Mystery" steel contains a healthy % of chrome making it a problem to forge weld. 1045 is a good choice, it's low alloy steel and welds nicely.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Nobody Special! I like the idea of splitting it. I guess I really didn't think of that. Drilling the holes before splitting would probably work better in my case. I am by no means very experienced with hammer making or with working wrought iron. I've only made a few. I think I have that book by Bealer tucked away somewhere. Thanks for bringing that up! I really appreciate the advice. I looked at the hammer again this morning and I am not certain that it didn't weld. I might have judget it a quickly yesterday. I can't tell if the faint line is a delamination or if I am just seeing the different metals meeting. Some of it for sure did not but I am wondering if I should try to salvage the face or just cut it off and retry. Thoughts?

Michael, that spatula turned out nice!

20231201_133002.jpg

20231201_133008.jpg

20231201_132958.jpg

20231201_132952.jpg

White Fox, you may be able to judge if the weld is good by tapping on it or dropping it on the anvil from an inch or two.

My second WI hammer had a bad weld on the face which looked good. It felt strange to forge with and it sounded odd tapping on the anvil, before it cracked and fell off.

Keep it fun,

David

I hadn’t considered that.

I did make the mistake of stacking them up rotated 45degrees after showing my wife. They look pretty good that way, but I’m not sure I have enough time to make to more with the other work that’s still to be done.

Keep it fun,

David

Welded up a stand for the big machinist’s vise I restored a while back.

IMG_7800.thumb.jpeg.ab9dc47124aa64c2d91eab0af526aed3.jpeg

It’s been sitting in a corner gathering rust for the last few years, but the mechanism still works smoothly. A little wire brushing and some oil, and we’ll be good to go. 

I have to apologize to everyone that's been posting for not taking the time to comment on their great work. I've been running in circles lately taking care of issues that have been popping up and keeping me busy, but scanning the posts every few days and enjoying seeing everyone's work. Been working on a few commissions, in between phone calls that shut me down for the day, but I have gotten some work completed and delivered. Seems like every time I complete a tomahawk and Blacksmith knife I get another order, the interest surprised me and I'm not complaining, I have another order to complete this weekend, plus two more hawks to complete in the next two weeks. I had a customer, that has ordered several items from me, order two hunting knives so I tried my hand at those, plus my first try forging cable. 1 1/2 cable by hand was a little tough, but it was a fun project. 

Hawk1.thumb.jpg.5bd802ef590ba58c72748fecd1e53ed5.jpgKnife1.thumb.jpg.c6ced15455209289b9a4c25cb4e57be0.jpgHawk2.thumb.jpg.4c74f781fcabeea01a08f10687752f11.jpgKnifewcable.thumb.jpg.c5514c8b1ede881d0e013b9743cd9751.jpgKnife2.thumb.jpg.b08b96c7f52a5f68d44529c415b7160d.jpg

Looks like I messed up and posted my work in the wrong place. I meant to post in what you did today.

Edited by Mod34
Moved to proper section.

White Fox, thanks for the compliment. This was my first try and I was very happy with how it came out, probably lucky, but I’ll take that anytime 

Das, thanks a lot for the compliment. Your right about how you feel about the results, when it comes out right  

I am really surprised about the orders I have received for the tomahawks and blacksmith knives. I made my first for our clubs conference a couple of years ago and can’t believe the interest for them that I’ve had in my area