• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a little bit of time in the shop this afternoon worked on a 3/4” v swage and some work on a knife I had shown previously.

The v swage was a quick job from a failed hot cut hardy:

2DB4A704-2BDC-4A52-BE4A-C08CA671F0FE.jpeg.52efc22cc68d5428c39c75709d50fbed.jpeg

It’s pretty rough, but it will get the job done.

I cut the handle down on the knife, upset it back some, profiled it, and started thinning it down:

CB0973CF-11F2-4B4F-85BA-46DE1AF919F0.jpeg.62c474391f317cbf8d2765a5b4eedb16.jpeg

I’m much happier with the profile and it’s down to 0.150” thickness. I’d like to get it down to 0.125” before heat treatment, but not sure when I’ll get more shop time.

Keep it fun,

David

I finished this a couple of days ago, still have to make the sheath. This is my first, knife made from a piece of 5/8 coil spring, it has a 0.125 spine. I tested a piece of the spring to ensure it would harden and temper (thanks to the advice here) before moving forward with the knife. It was a fun project, all hand tools, but definitely identified the need for a belt grinder before making another one.

Knife.thumb.jpg.ec3d408db218251b764126c4d27e405f.jpg 

Alexanr, i love that hall tree. 

Got a project for the boss lady. The entrance doors to my house are made of steel. The curtain rods are held up by magnetic holders. They work pretty well, i did not even know they were magnets till recently, until the kitten we got (Tucker, yall may remember him from me asking for name suggestions) decided he wanted to play with them. Now about 3 or 4 times a day the wife has to put the curtains back up. She told me to fix it. I said challenge accepted. Anyway i have come to find that i need a small flatter. And of course the "need a tool, make a tool." rule came in. So i made this here small flatter, 1 1/2" round of 5160, upset the flat end to ~2", punched and drifted the hole. (had a drift already mad so at least it was not make a tool, to make a tool) Tomorrow i will harden and temper. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e38e196d246efbc5c52a1fcb365a59c8.jpeg

I also scored this out of the scrap bin at work. A work hold down for the small mill. I figure i can make me some sort of bending jig out of it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.294f91c68e642025fa1d412c7aa3e2e9.jpeg

Good score Billy. 

Hope you’re all well. 

I started a job I got asked to do last year.  The fella that asked me to make it wanted me to use old fashioned twisted rebar he had reclaimed from a job.  It was messy taking tar and concrete off them but I’m enjoying this one. Only other steel used so far is the upright which is coil spring.  This part will be set in a bracket with a grub screw.  

A Scotland flag and arrow will be on pipe with if I can do it, a wee thistle finial.  A ball bearing will be in the pipe.  Can anyone spot any potential gotchas? :blink:

63DF4DBB-02A9-4CC5-877E-B39A7D6890E8.thumb.jpeg.59272d3a0042af34fde3ad97bedc0263.jpeg

Not much shop time today, but made some curved washers for a neighbor (to bulk out undersized dowel nuts so that she can assemble her childhood crib for her own expected baby) and started work on tooling for the Hossfeld bender. 

Test fired a new bag of coke from my regular source.  Was about to shovel the new into the bin with the old but it looked very different.Larger chunks and a bit heavier. Took a bit to get it lit, the bag getting rained on didn't help I think. Burns hot, a little smokier than the last but the almost no clinker, which is a nice change from what's been available.

Drew out the ends of the pole axe head I've been working on. It was a nice rainy day to be burning solid fuel in the suburbs.

PA drawing.jpeg

PA progress.jpeg

Alexandr- stunning as always.

Les and Goods- very nice knives, I like the shapes on those.

My dear people-

Too much to do, not enough time! Got my new anvil a month ago, and still haven't used it. Hopefully will be able to forge soon. Did get a little time for some stock removal however. Started using bandsaw blades from work (machine shop) to make fillet knives. Here's the first one. Tried it yesterday on some bass. It's a bit short, but does a great job otherwise. Will finish the second soon, it's quite a bit longer. Kept the original heat treat as I didn't want to heat treat something less than 1/16" thick and 10" long.

Also finished and sold this forged hidden tang with walnut and antler. A friend is going to give it to his son for his birthday. Starting to get a lot more confident in my forging, grinding, and leatherworking. 

Since my new anvil has a hardy hole, I need to start fabricating some tools. I believe it's 5/8", so I think RR spikes would fit it. Any ideas on what I should make? I don't weld, but I can probably have a friend do some welds for me. I'm thinking a hotcut, bottom fuller, something for bending, and a holdfast to start with.

Started to draw up designs and prepare for my biggest project yet, a 26" short sword from a nicholson file.

IMG-2524.jpg

IMG-2680 (1).jpg

I would highly suggest either building or buying a guillotine. And if you are going to focus on knives a "C" frame. You can use it to forge in fullers on the sides of the blade. Along with many other uses. I never realized how much i would use one till i got one. I now use it so much i keep it laying on the floor next to my anvil stand. 

Made another 'S' hook, hand painted, finished.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a6e77868529aeaa8e544ac6f165fd84.jpeg

I haven't a table of a suitable height for which to attach my post vise, and, in the interest of portability, decided to forge a bracket which allows me to mount the vise on my hand truck/dolly.  I don't intend to do any banging on stuff with this setup, I don't want to damage the hand truck's platform.

20230204_145226 (2).jpg

20230205_125611 (2).jpg

20230205_130439_resized.jpg

20230205_130445 (2).jpg