• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all, Billy, the axe eye is nice and straight but the slot for the wedge was cut at an angle so now it looks like the eye is not on center. I agree it looks nice.

Frosty, I want to use this hatchet on camping trips to make spoons, other kitchen utensils and stuff like that, what you mentioned as axe carvings. I find the flat bevel on one side aids in cutting straight and the rounder bevel on the other side helps in the removal of the chips when carving. Unfortunately now it can't really be used for by left handed people. A lot of people also like straight bevels on both sides for carving.

I've used a similar grind to this axe for limbing and splitting which works decently well. I haven't done any cabin building or the like so I don't know how useful an axe like this would be. I'd say it works best for smaller carving projects.

~Jobtiel

9 hours ago, Shainarue said:

Looks like maybe 3 different porch stair railings? 

If so, I really love the idea of the tree one. 

The notebook has three of the dozen or so preliminary sketches, the graph paper has a dimensional drawing to proper scale, and the large spiral is the last of several drawings to determine the actual slope angle (4° off perpendicular seemed best).

Indish, I like the rack. I’ve been planning the same type of rack, but haven’t settled on a location. I’m usually using two grinders at a time. One with a wire wheeled and the other  with a stone or cut off wheel and switch back and forth. Most of the work is done in the post vise in front of the forge in my main post vise, so I’ll probably make a bar clipped onto the forge. Not a good place for them to stay, so I guess I’ll find a safer location for a storage rack and make two…

Keep it fun,

David

I really like the split cross Shaina, especially for a first. Using a hack saw is a skill, instead of cutting stock with the hot cut use the hack saw, you'll get the hang of it. I never thought of using a all peined texture on a cross but I like it. It suggests to me adzed timbers and has me thinking of trying it with a smaller ball pein and over lapping the marks to form a little more patterned texture. I think it's a good take on the rugged cross.

That's a REALLY NICE tool organizer wall Indish! It really got my wheels turning. I'm thinking the grinding disk pegs would go nicely vertical next to the grinder belts if the disk grinder rack were moved over a little. 

The cordless drill rack would hold a corded drill just as well and the shelf is perfect for drill indexes and charger though my charger can be hung on a wall so perhaps on the end of the rack might work well, the cord could tuck in next to the closest drill motor. 

I'm thinking punches, chisels, etc. next to the hammers which are next to the top tools. Files and sharpening stone next to the grinding belts, maybe a cubby in the same shelf. 

I'm not suggesting you make any changes but you've cast a strong seeds in a fertile imagination, I'm just letting them sprout aloud. 

Thank you, Frosty The Lucky.

15 hours ago, JHCC said:

Design work.

Which went well, as the customer has put down a deposit. 

John

Keep in mind if this is on a business you "should" follow both OBC & ADA requirements on your design (Ohio Building Code & ANSI 117) .....and your city also has an Architectural Review Board. I'm sure your aware of both, just a reminder.

Worked on a knife a little more today on my day off work:

A2A4AD4F-2B56-47A3-B57C-2A5420DCDE34.jpeg.74f48e06f656b5811084a992d2cd18f8.jpeg

Going to take it to the customer and get his thoughts before proceeding any further. It’s what he asked for, but I think the should be some rocker to the blade. (It really needs to go in a diet also, ~0.190” thick at the spine right now…)

Keep it fun,

Dacid

4 hours ago, Fowllife said:

Keep in mind if this is on a business you "should" follow both OBC & ADA requirements on your design (Ohio Building Code & ANSI 117) .....and your city also has an Architectural Review Board. I'm sure your aware of both, just a reminder.

Thanks for the reminder. I’m pretty sure we’re okay. 

A fairly productive day today. Made a little bracket for holding my phone when I’m in the kitchen:

DD114CE1-184E-4A0F-BF11-AB9579A43BA6.thumb.jpeg.8c1de841d4b5859bbd723bfc23f99943.jpeg

And a pair of these shelf brackets for the yarn shop:

15F68A2C-D775-41ED-ABED-610893AA070A.thumb.jpeg.4859411f564bc8a8156bebfbf0ee9e93.jpeg

(This was hanging upside down for painting, so I inverted the photograph to show it in its proper orientation.)

JHCC I just love all the yarn shop stuff. 

Tonight I worked for just a few hours and got the one tong arm remade. Planning to drill for rivet tomorrow night, and probably cut the rivet stock to size. Also made a small S hook (no pic). I plan to make one at the end of each session until I have 4, to use with the hanging hood I intend to use for the indoor forge exhaust setup. 

received_539350378224593.jpeg

received_697868608531361.jpeg

Sold off a bunch of Dishing Forms at the SCA event Saturday. Very kind folks unloaded and loaded set up for me.  My wife has asked that I clear the shop before I go.  Next sale at the NMABA meeting in Feb if they allow me to display a bucket or two of tools.  Hopefully I can repeat as needed as I learned that I do not have the strength to load much at one time.

The one I made for my wife had the same problem. Too heavy. It would slide off. 

Finally finished the ulu my daughter asked for this morning before work. If I do another one, it will probably be just solid leaf spring and not WI and spring. I am pleased with it. No gaps between the scales and blade. Not so happy with the sheath. 

195926C9-DD3E-4AF6-BE01-90426EADE78B.jpeg

BE8ADBF6-ED34-4EE7-80C0-EDAB8C1C1778.jpeg

348104BC-31F7-49D9-AD1B-6249190AE151.jpeg

As I recall the Ulu sheaths were more edge protection a minimal pocket for one point, some sewn some riveted and a loop or snap just over the far end. Someone just posted a hatchet with a sheath similar to what I recall. Jobtiel's camp axe maybe?

Nice Ulu D, I like it. 

Frosty The Lucky.