• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alexandr, that’s the nicest umbrella stand I’ve ever seen!

Rojo, I’m impressed with that fork. I have a hard enough time getting two prong forks to come out right!

Well, today was the first day of my demo at the festival:

B3124D86-A1D5-4A68-87F3-3F0AE4C9540F.jpeg.edfb021a1722984b1aa61dd95513a38a.jpeg

(I thought I had more pictures…) To my surprise everything I made and brought, with the exception of the candle sticks and S-hooks sold today. Most of it by noon. Got another day to go. It looks like it will be another beautiful day to have fun forging and talking to the spectators. 

Keep it fun, 

David

Today was the last demo of the year and my plan was to finish the cutlers hammer I started at the Fall NEB meet.. 

Well, today as i rushed out and got 3/4 to the place I remembered I forgot the tongs needed to work on it.. So, I decided to make a cute Horseshoe heart trivet instead and since I had more time to kill I cut off the hammer from the parent stock.. 

The hammer is 5 3/4lbs as it sits.. I think it will end up in the 4.5lb range. 

20221015_120404[1].jpg

20221015_151409[1].jpg

image0 (1).jpeg

Beautiful work as always alexandr.

Finally got around to finishing up my steak fork. I took Frosty's advise and lengthened the handle a little bit to get a better place to grab for the twist. It's...different, as I was originally going to try for a variation on a smoothed out Rubik's twist. I'm not really happy with it, but it's actually comfortable in the hand and turns and picks up pork chops off the grill quite well.

20221016_173158.jpg

20221016_173208.jpg

I worked on the shed today. Pulled out the rotting plywood floors, raked the gravel away from the edges and adjusted the pavers so they were under the lip of all the walls of the shed. Then raked the gravel even and loaded everything back inside until I had something figured out for replacing the floor. Once everything was inside, I thought I'd finally get a batch of charcoal started in the barrel. Chopped up some of the rotted plywood to use as kindling and then chopped a bit more kindling from some split logs, then quartered some more logs. By the time that was all done, I didn't have time for the burn process so that will wait. But it's ready! 

I thought I'd do a tiny bit of forging but I started feeling like crap. I'm guessing the dust in the air from the plywood and gravel irritated my allergies. 

Nice stuff everyone.

I made another little knife from a new spring. I wasn't real happy with the hardness on the last spring I used so I used a piece of 5/8” from what looked like a new spring I got at the scrap yard.

1797E9EE-D80D-4801-BDC4-CDA576ABB194.thumb.jpeg.eb5e3bd1e7c7d380ede92a5a6ff22747.jpeg

this one was tough to forge and my test sample got very hard.

1049B362-6537-490A-8D5B-95BFAB2A46E8.thumb.jpeg.986d6796c895dd55727ce263b2d0ff25.jpeg

4FD02079-5FD2-4156-A491-46A5B49F6A53.thumb.jpeg.c191e09cf45adb6a137d3c01f60c79b7.jpeg

the days are too short…

0B00D5D6-DBD6-4719-A0B7-ADD1C6697B42.thumb.jpeg.7d53cd46b67f355990134973e77fed67.jpeg

Also played with a horse shoe and sharpened fridays knife. Got reasonably sharp but like I said, does not seem very hard.

C5BB2319-FE5C-436C-978F-EA42F7B071EB.thumb.jpeg.e8d931ec7742977b04f1156af61aa927.jpeg

super fun weekend. Thanks for looking .

You're getting better with those every day Justor, good job. I found the ladies don't like sharp points on handles so I stopped using diamond twists unless it's something the ladies aren't going to use or as decoration. My wife's spinner associates really like a cable twist, it looks like yarn and feels good in the hand. I break the edges before I twist and call it a "Yarn" twist on my doffers.

I love the handle on your letter opener John, that's going to be a tough one to beat!

I don't get those short roundish blades Pedro but they're looking better all the time and the horse head heart is really nice. It's a marketable product for sure.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sweet work, Alex. My wife really likes your lanterns. She asks me to try and make one for her every time you post one. Maybe in a few years when I’ve learned more. 

This is what I’ve done today. Still not finished. I have to rivet on the hooks and then apply a finish. 

7D4955A2-6AC1-49D0-8A88-741C80359585.jpeg

9FCC16D2-8F3A-49E8-91C6-101FB32D03F3.jpeg

I didn’t stop to take pictures of most of the items I made at the demo this weekend, but I did for this one:

69F88A9B-0202-494A-9546-D1CD6460B0EB.jpeg.fb21a3fc58a0ecda7e0d3a6a6a0a4f25.jpeg

A lady stopped by and asked if we could forge a tobacco pipe tamper/scraper. She sketched it up and I said I didn’t want to try and forge it at the festival because I didn’t have the right tools to upset the tamping end properly, but she said she would stop by Sunday (for other reasons). I thought about it that night and first thing in after getting setup started on it. Made with 1/4” round stock with a 1/4” square collar welded on. Then, I squared up the round stock, cut it off the bar, put a scarf on then end, and folded it over and forge weld the end for the mass of the scrapper end. Finally, added some embellished and filed it clean. Total length is about 3”. When she came back she was delighted. (She has been a loyal customer for the other smith I was with, so it didn’t feel right not giving it a go…) That was probably the highlight of a very good demo weekend. (Apparently, I also made the cover of our local newspaper.)

Keep it fun,

David

Got back late last night from a wedding Saturday. Weddings are some different from back when I got hitched. Anyway- seeing all my nephews I haven't seen for a while resulted in requests for a khukuri, a tanto, and a billhook.

Alexandr - beautiful and imaginative artistry. You never disappoint. In my brief stay in your country I was always amazed that even very humble houses often had very artistic carved gables and window frames.

DHarris - Are the hooks and Icthus Damascus? I like the look.