I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

1 hour ago, bubba682 said:

So how did ya burn your hand

Picked up a hot arc welded part. The other time I had my cutting torch pointed at the back of my gloved hand. Then there was the time that I was torch cutting a car with fingerless gloves.....

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well truthfully I really don't have an answer but my understanding of what Frosty was sayin and I could be wrong was more towards indirect heat not direct.Fingerless gloves and a torch like really ,what do you do for a livin just curious.One thing I don't appreciate is bein called arrogant I don't call folks names on here maybe I come across the wrong way sometimes in replies but I don't name call .I was accused of it once on here but that's another story.Maybe I misunderstood your first post and I hope I'm wrong so I'll leave that there.Just to clear up somethin I was carrying on a little with Frosty cause I like a lot of his info he puts on here and I only carry on with guys I respect.

4 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

One of the other contestants in my episode is also on Iforgeiron.  She's to my right, second from the left in the picture.

That's Rashelle, I'm apprenticing under her and can't wait to see the episode!

4 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

One of the other contestants in my episode is also on Iforgeiron.  She's to my right, second from the left in the picture.

21 minutes ago, Caleb said:

That's Rashelle, I'm apprenticing under her and can't wait to see the episode!

TWO IFI members on one episode?!?

How will we know whom to root for?

Heh heh heh, like I said I was just twitting Stormcrow about anvil direction. It's been a contentious discussion on occasion and for most it approaches the seriousness of the Ford Chevy debate.

For me best horn direction depends on what I'm using it for. Striking from the base towards the point  makes the work want to slide with the blow wasting energy. This is good enough for plannishing and fiddly bits. Striking towards the base tends to be more perpendicular into the horn and more effective moving metal. However if you're making a properly cylindrical form you find yourself working from both directions.

I work all around my anvil.

ANY application, type or direction of too much heat to leather will make it shrink. I used the example of a gas forge's dragon's breath as one of place I wear leather gloves blacksmithing. Over the years of being burned by my gloves I've developed a sensitive early warning reflex reaction to a shrinking glove. If it doesn't come RIGHT OFF it hits the water hand and all till it will. 

Robert was referring to a behavior, not you or anybody in particular Bubba. Well, maybe those of us who've made that mistake deserve the title. I know I've committed the sin of pride to my detriment on the shop floor more times than I like to admit. 

Well, with two of the gang playing on FIF I guess I'll just have to root for everybody. 

Frosty The Lucky.

They should have a Teens version. I emailed them, but just got an automated email back. I'm sure they never will, but I think it would be fun. Now, if I was to consider it I would have to work my tail off practicing some more.

Littleblacksmith

It was fun, Anvil orientation doesn't really bother me much though I usually point it to my left, for the usage it's getting. I move around it as needed. If I really need it on my right and can't move around I'll switch hands then it's effectively pointing the other way, heehee.

Question for those who've dug into the rules deeper.  Frosty made a reference to something like a rules link but I don't seem to see it.

On some occasions, it has been implied that the 5 days given for the final project is defined as 5 8 hour days rather than being able to work until you drop from exhaustion.  Is it actually a specific number of hours rather than 5 days ending on XXX date at 5:00 PM?  How are they defining it?  How much time between heading home and that clock starting to tick?

1 hour ago, Kozzy said:

Question for those who've dug into the rules deeper.  Frosty made a reference to something like a rules link but I don't seem to see it.

On some occasions, it has been implied that the 5 days given for the final project is defined as 5 8 hour days rather than being able to work until you drop from exhaustion.  Is it actually a specific number of hours rather than 5 days ending on XXX date at 5:00 PM?  How are they defining it?  How much time between heading home and that clock starting to tick?

I don't know for sure, but on one episode a guy broke his piece the second to last day. At the beginning of the last day he said he had to do in 10 hours what he originally had 5 days to do, so it's sounds like there is a time cut off.

I think I was wondering if there was a link to the rules. Good question about the 5 day final contest and just what that means.

Maybe one of the folk here who've played FIF will speak up? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Tomorrow night!  (Tuesday, April 18, 8:00 CST)

Here's the episode description:

"For the first time ever, the competitors are challenged with creating not one, but two blades in the first round. With double the pressure and double the work, the bladesmiths are pushed to their limits, which leads to another first–a hospital trip. After a grueling second round, the two remaining smiths have just five days to create an iconic 15th century combat sword–the Katzbalger. Which bladesmith has what it takes to burn through the obstacles in their way and become the next Forged in Fire champion?"

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

I think I was wondering if there was a link to the rules. Good question about the 5 day final contest and just what that means.

Maybe one of the folk here who've played FIF will speak up? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I discussed this with a couple of the contestants at a recent bladesmith gathering.  As I recall they indicated that the daily "working hours" were clearly laid out and rigorously enforced by the camera crew that recorded every moment (to be heavily edited for the production, of course).  Needless to say I'm sure all the contestants do a lot of outside working hours research, but as far as I know they only get 8 hr days of hands on working.  I hope that Stormcrow or Rachelle can chime in to confirm.

Congratulations James, well done! 

Paul, the other finalist is close by. Sterling Ak. is about 200miles from here. I bought my 50lb. Little Giant from his Uncle Virgil a few years ago and I used to stop by and talk to his Grandfather Irvin who owned Irby Knives. 

MY heads  still spinning but I think I made the right decision and didn't root for anybody I just watched. Everybody did fine work I'll be  bragging about knowing you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well done sir. That was definitely one of the more challenging initial rounds I've seen. Not only did you have to make two knives, the style knife was very specific and locked in. Most episodes there are general parameters, but people are able to make a knife in whatever style they are most comfortable with. Looked to me like your neotribal approach was a pretty big advantage because you got a darn near finished product right from the hammer and anvil.

Rashelle's push knives also looked very nice. Very unfortunate about the tip. I know Walter Sorrells said after he did his episode that the lighting makes it incredibly difficult to judge temperature, so it is very easy to end up with overheating. Given better circumstances to heat treat in those could have been winning blades as well as they otherwise seemed to do really well on the tests and had quality appearance.

Thank you Nate. All I think I'm at liberty to say is that I enjoyed the competition. I'm rather competitive. To the point where even though I'd probly not last a fraction of a second I'd step in the ring with Mohamud Ali for the enjoyment of competing and tell him to bring it. You get an adrenaline rush from the challenge when competing with your peers. Or at least I do. Especially when it's something I enjoy. If it wasn't something I enjoy I'd not want to compete in it. I respect and like the other participants and have no issues with someone other then me winning. After all there can be only one. Congratulations James!

I don't have TV so haven't seen it yet, work plans on having a viewing tonight for me, as long as I don't embarass myself somehow I'm good.