I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, TheoRockNazz said:

The hada is the presentation of the blade's steel; the layer count, pattern, and hamon together. I received 8 pieces of 1095, and since I knew I could forge weld them all perfectly there would be no visible layering, so instead I focused on my hamon.

I thought they might be misusing the term, indicating it was a technique rather than the result of a series of operations (like a temper line for instance).  Tough to achieve that level of presentation in the time permitted, particularly since a lot of it is traditionally influenced by the laborious hand polishing step.  Your choice of the clay heat treatment makes even more sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

One other question, if you don't mind.  I heard from the rumor mill that the producers of the show ask contestants to sign a contract that requires them to fork over a percentage of their future knife sales in return for the exposure they get from the program.  Can you corroborate this?

15 hours ago, JHCC said:

[Mod:] please read the rest of this thread for your answer

I know there was mention of that about a year ago, but I was hoping for a first-person report (if possible) and a bit more detail. If that's confidential, no worries.

I'm like Chris I like the tongs joke. The other was something I think not enough people would get simply because of vocabulary issues. Several people I know don't have a large enough vocabulary to process such a large word as 'integral.' I think that's a fine testimony as to the quality our public schools. 

8 hours ago, Latticino said:

One other question, if you don't mind.  I heard from the rumor mill that the producers of the show ask contestants to sign a contract that requires them to fork over a percentage of their future knife sales in return for the exposure they get from the program.  Can you corroborate this?

That is a myth, they couldn't pull that off with people who already make so little, haha

I told about a dozen jokes during the taping, some so much funnier, and instead they go with me cursing up a storm... it was funny though

2 minutes ago, TheoRockNazz said:

That is a myth, they couldn't pull that off with people who already make so little, haha

I told about a dozen jokes during the taping, some so much funnier, and instead they go with me cursing up a storm... it was funny though

Okay, let's hear 'em!

I had them saved and ready to go, haha

I bought a dog from a blacksmith. As soon as I got him home he made a bolt for the door.

John was looking for work, and his mate told him that they needed someone up at the blacksmith's.

John went to see the smithy and said, "My mate tells me you're looking for someone to work here."

"Yes, that's right." said the Blacksmith, "Can you shoe horses?"

"I'm not sure," said John, "but I once told a donkey to get lost."

Q: Why was the near-deaf smith in the lingerie store?

A: He heard there was a huge sale on designer tongs.

Q: Why do people always have to stop and watch a blacksmith do his work?

A: He was riveting.

Why was the steel angry? It lost its temper.

Want to hear a blacksmithing joke?

Nevermind, i forgot the punch line.

Why was the blacksmith arrested?

The police were told he was forging art.

Why couldn't the bladesmith go food shopping before heat treat? There was no martinsite (mart in sight) 

What's the best anvil base? I don't know, I was asking you cuz I'm stumped

How important are guards?

They can be integral.

How does the blacksmith look when he's all dressed to the nail for a date?

Smashing!

Walter Sorrells has posted you tube Interesting perspective. 

(He says Theo is a great guy, by the way. Good third-party confirmation.)

some self righteous potty mouth had to ruin if for all of you. Link removed due to foul language in comments

Good to have a confirmation, Theo might be sneakier than he seems. ;) 

Thanks for the link. It gives an Idea of how much impact the show production requirements have on the guys. The heat must be brutal of course saying it's over 100f to an Alaskan is like saying no humans really live there. Still it sounds like fun, just getting to hang out with other blacksmiths is a good thing. Having a competition in common would be icing.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why it cameup as a quote the first time lets see if its fixed now?!?

Havent Been posting lately very busy, Theo we already spoke in email But I wanted to add one more congrats to the list, Not only a member of the forum, a Knife maker, A FELLOW NEW YORKER!!! But now flawlessly representing the skill and the trade on tv !

I turned this on with my mother and grand mother in the room, and told them both how me met, my 91 year old grand mother said oh you've met a tv star LOL I replied no not a tv star............BETTER...................A KNIFEMAKER

One interesting detail of the last (i.e., non-Theo) episode was the two big chunks of metal the runner-up used as anvils. He may have lost on a technicality, but he did really nice work without needing a London-pattern hitter-upon. 

They might also be doing a episode sometime soon where one of the challenges will be to create a knife out of chunks of meteorite! I was told this by one of the guys that supplies the show with some of there stuff. I don't know how soon when I was told this a few weeks back they hadn't shot it yet but the idea was deffinitly being thrown around.  should be a interesting challenge

Observation about this week's episode: the runner-up was another user of an improvised anvil, this time something that looked like a chunk of I-beam. The same fellow also improvised a trench forge to heat the entire length of his blade for heat-treatment.

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

Observation about this week's episode: the runner-up was another user of an improvised anvil, this time something that looked like a chunk of I-beam. The same fellow also improvised a trench forge to heat the entire length of his blade for heat-treatment.

I saw that as well.  Also noticed that even though he was obviously young and fit that he struggled quite a bit with the effort it was taking him to forge the Viking sword.  Made me wonder whether he could have done better with a more conventional anvil with some more mass under the hammer.  If you looked closely you could see that he had both an "I-Beam" anvil for straightening(with no sound deading, bet they turned down the mike volume for that one) and a rail track anvil placed horizontally.  Another time this found me talking to the screen, trying to get him to put the rail track anvil on end and used more efficiently.

Don't disagree with the judges decision on this episode, but do think that Clarence could have made very good use of the prize money to upgrade his shop.  Thought he said that he came from a family of smiths, or at least one relative was one.  Don't know why his shop was so sparse regarding tooling.  Seemed like a real nice guy, especially when they reprised his first appearance afterwards, and we saw him helping out one of the other contestants in "unwrapping" a particularly thick piece of spring steel.

Still would have loved to see JD Smith's home shop though.  Based on his work I bet he has a great setup.

5 hours ago, Latticino said:

Made me wonder whether he could have done better with a more conventional anvil with some more mass under the hammer. 

Or even an UNconventional one with more mass. The runner-up in last week's episode did very well with his two big hunka-hunks of steel (even though they could have been mounted more securely); his problem was a design flaw. 

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

The same fellow also improvised a trench forge to heat the entire length of his blade for heat-treatment.

That one had me expecting failure--not the "trench" itself but the application of that method.  It might have been a video anomaly but the "glow" on the blade was extremely uneven which I expected to result in uneven heat treating and potential failure in the tests.  Anyone else cringe at that or were my eyes just crossed the wrong way?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one whom religiously watches Forged In Fire. One of the contestants in the "Spiked Shield" episode is from a YouTube series I started following since I couldn't actually get out and do my own work. That man is not only talented, but INSANE with his creativity and work. He is trained in eastern style blade work and Armor crafting.... If you guys are interested, check out Man At Arms: Reforged.