I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

On 6/10/2016 at 1:49 PM, Darious said:

Looks like im not the only one constantly screaming at the tv over this show. 

My fiance has picked up my moaning mantra now about all the people trying to do the cable and forge welding. "Weld the **** ends shut before you hammer the **** out of it!"

Rather obvious. I have seen more stupid decisions on that show than I could count. More than can be just chalked up to inexperience or competition pressure or whatever.

It's a fun show, the one that got me into bladesmithing (I do actually want to compete in it, but It's likely that it will be canceled before I am experienced enough to), but yeah, same goes as with all the other reality competition shows: too much theatrics, not enough thought.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Dave, good job. Do you get to keep your blade?

Oh lighten up guys there's nothing to scream at, it's reality TV and most of the contestants have in the 10 or less years experience range. I enjoy watching and picking out mistakes while they're happening and predicting the results. Why should I have to make ALL the mistakes? I'll happily learn from theirs. Then they occasionally have accomplished bladesmiths and I get to learn from experts.

It's entertainment not educational TV don't burst a vein, it's just TV.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

I love this show, but I wasn't entirely happy with the most recent episode- the Zulu short spear/sword thingy...

I thought the guy who was sent home first (Clarence?) got the shaft... yes, he did quench in water, but others have done that successfully before, and the "surface cracks" they showed looked more like rough spots that could be ground out than cracks. His blade shape was so much better than that silly wavy kris, and he seemed like a really good guy. 

The "strength test" that broke Lyle's blade seemed silly (and a bit unfair too), given the difference in the shapes between the two tips. Lyle's blade ended in a graceful, continuous curve (like the exemplar they were supposed to be replicating), and the other guy's angled in over the last inch or so of the blade's length, so his tip had a huge mechanical advantage over Lyle's. After breaking off the tip, I bet Lyle could have re-ground the tip to be virtually identical to the other guy's shape.

I think that if the judges wanted to be fair they'd include the testing parameters in the weapon specs.

I'm not sure why I get worked up over this kind of thing- it is just TV. 

• 2 months later...

It's been tough to keep it in, but finally I can announce that I will be on Forged In Fire episode 14, which will air on the History Channel January 31st at 10pm EST/9pm CS

So xxxxxx excited, being on the show has been a dream of mine for a while, and you can imagine how difficult it's been not to tell everyone I meet even strangers on the subway.

Wooooooo!

7 hours ago, TheoRockNazz said:

It's been tough to keep it in, but finally I can announce that I will be on Forged In Fire episode 14, which will air on the History Channel January 31st at 10pm EST/9pm CS

So xxxxxx excited, being on the show has been a dream of mine for a while, and you can imagine how difficult it's been not to tell everyone I meet even strangers on the subway.

Wooooooo!

Theo, what are you going to do if you show up at the forge and there's no 3D printer? ;)

Greetings Theo, 

You are a very skilled young man, You will do well..  I had another contestent spend some time with me at my forge and I know how tough it is watching him go through the process.  I will be tuned in. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim