I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

I just went back and looked at her point. It was deformed. Her knife handle was very poorly executed and wasn't very easy or safe to use.

I felt that both hers and the one that wouldn't cut should have been eliminated.

Not sure just how much experience either of them had. I didn't particularly care for that episode.

This week should be very interesting, Master Smith Burt Foster will be on it. I would guess he will win it. He has won the Smokey Mountains Hammer-In Bladesmith Battle several times since they started it years ago.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my son watch this together and we are both getting pretty good at calling out mistakes, usually in the heat treat. Not that we could do any better but we've learned a lot from this forum and other places too, and tinkering at the forge. Not to mention the fact that its usually the same mistakes over and over. Being an "Armchair Mastersmith" is pretty entertaining :P. One of the main things I do like about the show is that they mix up the experience levels a little bit.

We are looking forward to the "Fire and Iron" show as well.

55 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

One last thing, the winner stated he made up to 400 blades a year…  400 !, one plus every day of the year.  When he said it I first thought he must do nothing else but make blades but once I saw how fast he was I started to understand.  When he was making the final blade he didn’t have any problems, formed it up, heat treated it, again… wham bam, got it done !

I also enjoy the show.  It isn't all that bad for what it is worth, and it is nice to see that the smiths cooperate with each other instead of going for the reality TV competitive BS.

As far as the one smith's production rate, as others have said, these shows are highly edited and there is no easy way to tell just how long his forging process took.  As far as his annual knife production, I don't recall whether he said he forged 400 knives a year, but if it was only "making" 400 knives, perhaps he has a stock removal line and gets the blanks water jet cut.  With that and a couple of grinding jigs setup you could really crank out product, particularly if you were to heat treat in an oven with an argon purge to limit scaling.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:48 AM, orange said:

The guy from angry giant forge won. He was a big guy that just did his thing. I liked that.

He is one big guy!  Nothing seems to upset him which I would guess is a good thing, Think Bull in China Store)

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, JHCC said:

I'm happy that the guy who won was just using a big-ole-hunk-o'-steel for his anvil. Should be our new go-to evidence that you don't need a London-pattern anvil to get started.

Exactly, he knows how to work the tools he has and makes them sing his tune.  $10,000 winnings would be interesting to see what he buys with it.  Very Happy for him.

Yeah, that was entertaining and showed me some good points about hardening that much 4140. Bigger quench metal tank with circulation, either a paint mixer or perhaps a little pump. I liked the closing credits.

"Tobin the Beard of Masculinity" gets Kudos from Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

It was a good show.

Tobin did a good job, that Cutlas was impressive.  I was surprised it didn’t cut the rope.

Also when Tobin dropped his knife on its tip, it wasn’t that fact that he did it but his response to the other Smith saying, "that was a B----- move”, he responded with, “kind of” ! (if I remember correctly.

And the hardening vid…  all I could think about was the Tub melting.

Me too, I was waiting for the sudden hot foot bath.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Me too, I was waiting for the sudden hot foot bath.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sing Hey! for the bath at the close of the day,
That washes the weary mud away.
A fool is he who will not sing,
O water hot is a noble thing!

"That was a wee bit b____sy, isn't it?"

"Just a tad."

:D

I'm just impressed they left in Tobin's explanation of his idea for the cutlass being an espada ancha that had been re-handled by a local smith in the New World (which happened a lot, some of which used a rolled iron tube similar to Tobin's pipe handle) and wrapped with some hemp cord by the pirate owner.

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

Sing Hey! for the bath at the close of the day,
That washes the weary mud away.
A fool is he who will not sing,
O water hot is a noble thing!

:D 

I watched Tobin's stump anvil test video after the heat treat video. This is a perfect example of how lousy the sound in video cameras is. Sure wind always plays hob with microphones and the reason for the foam rubber sleeve. Is there decent freeware editing software so we can dub the sound? I'm not faulting Tobin's video, this is a REALLY common problem. How many times have we watched a shop video and missed out on what the smith is saying because of the forge?

OH, I do have one minor suggestion for the test. Doing it on the tail gate kills the rebound for something heavy like the sledge. I would much rather see how it stands up to a smack while on the ground. Taping the bearing to the face and smacking it with the 16lb. sledge would be excessive and kind of dangerous.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

How many times have we watched a shop video and missed out on what the smith is saying because of the forge?

And while we're at it, can we get some videos with wider angles to show how the smith is standing relative to the anvil? Or that give the smith's point of view of the process?

4 minutes ago, JHCC said:

And while we're at it, can we get some videos with wider angles to show how the smith is standing relative to the anvil? Or that give the smith's point of view of the process?

Interesting request. For  myself, I address the anvil how I address the anvil, how another smith does isn't so interesting to me with a few broad exceptions. For example I address my anvil from the ends a LOT more often since the Brian Brazeal workshops. But that's just me, I've been doing this for a while, I can see how the newer guys could benefit. Good suggestion.

The smith's point of view is something I've been wanting for a while but so far haven't been too happy with my Go Pro experiments. Worse, have you seen the file sizes of a Go Pro video? I don't think there's a way to narrow the field of view and the stupid things take something like 270* in Super High Def! I guess it's great if you're videoing skiing or boarding in a half pipe and don't want to actually want to look AT the person. Seriously, over a 10 minute GP video can run Terabytes! I haven't even picked Deb's GP up and I think she videos with her Iphone instead.

I can shoot video with my Cell but taping it to my head isn't too practical.

I'd love to see "Smith Eye View" videos too.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

I guess it's great if you're videoing skiing or boarding in a half pipe and don't want to actually want to look AT the person. Seriously, over a 10 minute GP video can run Terabytes!

Now, if we could get Technicus Joe doing fluxless welds while doing BMX backflips off a surfboard....

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Redneck carp's-tongue said:

Uhhh...I'm sure somebody has asked this before, but has anyone on this site actually competed on Forged in Fire?

Yes. A couple of the gang have competed and at least one of the Judges is a member though I think he mostly lurks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like im not the only one constantly screaming at the tv over this show. 

My fiance has picked up my moaning mantra now about all the people trying to do the cable and forge welding. "Weld the **** ends shut before you hammer the **** out of it!"