I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Welcome aboard Scott, glad to have you. Please put your location in the header so I'll know where to come pick up that rusty old Swedish anvil.<wistful sigh>

I have a 125lb. Soderfors cast steel Swedish anvil and it's the finest one I've ever used, she's one of my prize possessions. the Swedes didn't use the English stone weights, I mean REALLY, they're ENGLISH! The weight is marked in lbs. This one looks like the old tradition of testing edge, and such against the side of the anvil was done to this old lady.

Owning a Swedish cast steel anvil in the 250-300+ range is a dream of mine.If you decide not to use it, please give me a chance to buy it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks fellas.  I updated my location info.  Its a Sodefores- cool!  There are only 4 numbers/letters on the anvil- 3-0-2-1 s.  I guess the "b" in "lbs" didn't stamp fully or got hammered out?  I mean there is no sign of it whatsoever.  But I trust what you guys are telling me.   Its an antique, or vintage I guess.  Based on the story I got, maybe if was made some time in the early 1900s?  Too bad Im not a blacksmith.     There are numerous old blacksmithing tools associated with it.  I'll post a picture a little later this evening of the tools etc, I betting you guys could help me ID some of the stuff.  Should I post it here or on another forum?  Thanks again. 

That's awesome Dean, I would have loved to have my grandpas anvil. My uncle pushed the old farm buildings and everything in them into a huge pile and burnt it about 10-15 years ago... I remember seeing that anvil as a child when we would play in the old buildings. There was an old wooden leg vice with metal jaws built right into a bench beside the forge. I don't know how big the anvil was but when I was little it looked HUGE!

Keep that anvil in the family and pass it on!

1_zps732e8d8e.jpg

This will be my first anvil. It is currently en route. Although I will not be able to fully utilize it for a year or so (bought property in Arkansas but will not move for another year) I finally pulled the trigger on my dream of setting up my first forge.....Its a 209# Peter Wright!!

David; I still have 13 acres of "Family Land" in NW AR, near Fort Smith.  I'm going to visit kinfolk up there in October.  When do you plan to go?  My  great grandfather was a smith in thye Ozarks.

I just closed on our place yesterday. It is just outside of Norfork, AR about 20 min south of Mountain Home. Although, I will be moving the majority of my stuff up there at the end of the month I will continue to work in West Texas for the next year or so. I hope to be up there full time by Christmas of 2014, if all goes well. I have too good of a job in TX to give it up without paying off the land first! I currently live in Midland, TX.

Sweet graduation gift Joe, what a beauty! That might have even gotten ME to study harder. I hadn't read anything from you in a while and was beginning to wonder.

Congratulations all round Joe, really good to hear from you again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sweet graduation gift Joe, what a beauty! That might have even gotten ME to study harder. I hadn't read anything from you in a while and was beginning to wonder.

Congratulations all round Joe, really good to hear from you again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks a lot, Frosty!

Wow joe that is awesome!

Does this mean you will be selling some of the kolswha anvils?

All the best
Andy

LOL, Andy, since my first Peddinghaus I have been Kohlswa-free for a very long time. I sold them all a (very) long time ago.

Thanks a lot, Frosty!

LOL, Andy, since my first Peddinghaus I have been Kohlswa-free for a very long time. I sold them all a (very) long time ago.

*shakes fists with jealousy*

Congrats on the new anvil. I just watched your video of it arriving on YouTube. Very handsome anvil indeed.

Keep the videos coming.

All the best
Andy

There are some very nice anvils in this thread! Here are mine.

This one is a 150# Emerson on a 560# steel and concrete base. It's the one that I use everyday.
JS9F0932copy_zps2df318b8.jpg

140-150lb Fisher
IMG_1980_zpse12a2af1.jpg

And the stack while I was moving the bases to the new shop. The top is a 128# Peter Wright that the face is separated a little on. I use it as a striking anvil and for others to use.

IMG_3638_zpsef67b925.jpg

And Ill be picking this one up by the end of the month. I finally struck a deal on it. That's a pack of cigarets on the left corner of it :)
post-23884-0-11602800-1346552146.jpeg.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... My wife is on holidays with the kids right now. I found a killer deal on an anvil and bought it without asking her but I had to. There's no way I could pass this one up.

It's a 220 pound attwood's anvil. It had really good rebound but the face plate by the heal is broken and the heal is cracked. I got it for $100 and a sore back...

B1227B85-DF3C-42EB-8B8E-2F6A6AC2FDCB-584

9881BD70-16D7-44DC-83B4-B58D2BB8FA2B-584

Any idea on the age? By the triangle feet it should be early to mid 1800's right? I can't find much info on attwood's anvils online anywhere.