I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Ok how bout my description instead. This thing weighed 120 pounds on the sellers scale. This is an auction anvil. The front foot is stamped 125, I believe this is the manufactured weight. I smacked it on the side with a spark plug socket i had in the back of my pickup and the anvil rings like a bell (i dont know what that means). Anyway the real kicker is stamped on the side is ACME.

If I recall correctly, I think I heard somewhere that Trenton made the ACME anvils for SEARS back in the old mail order days.  Don't quote me on that though.  The ringing noise of an anvil indicates that it is not cast iron, which makes a dull clunk/thud noise instead, and also that it is more likely not to have had a catastrophic internal/covered up failure that will result in forge welded pieces falling off.  In other words it's usually a sign of most good anvils.  I say most because Fisher anvils are cast iron with a tool steel face, and so are Vulcans, but I've heard that Fishers are the preference for Cast Iron anvile.  I'm pretty sure that there's a good chance that your anvil has a wrought iron body with a tool steel face forge welded on.  Of course I don't know that much about Trenton/ACME anvils and it could be made of forged steel, depending on what year it was made, and even the more recent anvils made of cast steel ring like bells.

I recently just picked up this anvil. I'm not sure who made it. All of the markings (if there ever were any) seem to be gone. It's in pretty good shape, just needs a tiny bit of grinding on the face to take the pitting out. Should be good to go in no time. I put it on a scale and it read 218 lbs. I can't wait to set it up and start using it.

post-31047-0-34111300-1371436519_thumb.j

Almost ready to heat treat. All 1045 steel construction accept for the base plate. 

I built it with a short thick heel, with the heel ending at the edge of the hardy whole. The idea was more support when working with hardy tools.

Face is 18" X a little over 4 1/16", Hardy is 1", Pritchel is 3/8". It was 280 lbs before adding the

1' X 2' X 3/4" base plate. It stands 14 3/8" tall. My guess is between 310 and 330 lbs. I have a 3 week wait on heat treat.

I am chomping at the bit!

post-41232-0-24319800-1371480813_thumb.j

post-41232-0-99089500-1371480835_thumb.j

I recently just picked up this anvil. I'm not sure who made it. All of the markings (if there ever were any) seem to be gone. It's in pretty good shape, just needs a tiny bit of grinding on the face to take the pitting out. Should be good to go in no time. I put it on a scale and it read 218 lbs. I can't wait to set it up and start using it.

I wouldn't do any grinding till I'd done some forging on it, there's only just so much face and once ground it's gone forever. It'll probably work just fine till you find a better faced anvil. Being patient has it's rewards and that old lady may not have much face left.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice anvil! If you get down my way, stop and visit.

Sayings and Cornpone

"Eschew Gradoo."

Definition required. I first heard "gradoo" (grah-doo) used by welders from Texas to describe welding spatter. In talking to other Texans, I found that it meant any old crud, dreck, crap, corrosion, and slop. Some friends gave me a T-shirt with the inscription, "Eschew Gradoo."

Nice anvil! If you get down my way, stop and visit.

Sayings and Cornpone
"Eschew Gradoo."
Definition required. I first heard "gradoo" (grah-doo) used by welders from Texas to describe welding spatter. In talking to other Texans, I found that it meant any old crud, dreck, crap, corrosion, and slop. Some friends gave me a T-shirt with the inscription, "Eschew Gradoo."

hello all ..just wanted to share a couple pics of the arm amd hammer anvil i had posted in the it followed me home section last month or so ago. it took a while of looking on the sides of the roads and peoples yards to find a stump i liked enough to mount this beautiful anvil to. in not sure what type of tree it came from because i found dumped on the side of the road . it was bleached out and most of the bark was gone. what remained was very smooth almost sanded feeling. when i started cutting it had a strong smell of eucalyptus or camphor but the lil bit of bark that was left looked more like a pine .. a arborist does not a plumber make lol

post-30971-0-13752600-1371911965_thumb.j

post-30971-0-48664400-1371911983_thumb.j

This isn't my whole collection but this is what I have a picture of. The only one that isn't mine is the cast steel Columbian on the right closest to the camera.

"collection" and anvils sitting on the floor in a corner is not a nice combination!

"collection" and anvils sitting on the floor in a corner is not a nice combination!

I don't "collect" them for viewing I use them. I have my forge outside so that's where they get stored. You would "collect" them too if you paid what I did for them.

One of them is way to beat up to be a user and is only 74 lbs. The 98lb Trenton with a 99% mint face is useless with only about 25% rebound. The 104 pound PW (the one with the hardy tool in it) has a really beat up face. The other two I have are a 70 pound Canadian blower and forge that's missing the heal and a 15lb unknown. So that really only leaves me with one good anvil. The beat up Peter write gets used the most tho because its the only one I have a hardy tool for.

He moves them outside to use them.  

I don't "collect" them for viewing I use them. I have my forge outside so that's where they get stored. You would "collect" them too if you paid what I did for them.

One of them is way to beat up to be a user and is only 74 lbs. The 98lb Trenton with a 99% mint face is useless with only about 25% rebound. The 104 pound PW (the one with the hardy tool in it) has a really beat up face. The other two I have are a 70 pound Canadian blower and forge that's missing the heal and a 15lb unknown. So that really only leaves me with one good anvil. The beat up Peter write gets used the most tho because its the only one I have a hardy tool for.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to offend, was making a joke, I know you use them!

Hi folks, new member. Cool forum. Anyone recognize this anvil? Only says "made in sweden" and has the english weight numbers 3-0-21 s (357 lbs). I can't see any other makers marks. Got this baby for Free...

Actually, I buddy let me clear out an old shed full of vintage farm tools, equipment, hand tools, etc. 'Will post some pics of the stuff I can't ID. General categories: farming, tilling, carpentry, blacksmithing, husbandry, & machining. This old farmer did it all. Thanks in advance for the anvil help.
Scott
post-43011-0-77362800-1372252407_thumb.jpost-43011-0-46499500-1372252412_thumb.jpost-43011-0-43468000-1372252415_thumb.j