• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Sorry, what's that in English?

;)

From an Australian idiom dictionary:

yakka

Work, strenuous labour. The word is used especially in the phrase hard yakka. Yakka first occurs in the 1840s as a verb meaning ‘to work’, and it derives from yaga meaning ‘work’ in the Yagara language of the Brisbane region. Yakka found its way into nineteenth-century Australian pidgin, and then passed into Australian English. Spelling variants such as yakker and yacker are also found.

1892 Bulletin (Sydney) 19 November: The stevedore must yacker for the bit he gets to eat.

2004 Townsville Bulletin 14 July: We marched out through the thigh-deep mud carrying wallaby jacks, jungle matting lent by the army and railway sleepers. It was hard yakka.

nice opener EJ.

I'm just surprised Aus that its actually a word!

Littleblacksmith

15 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

nice opener EJ.

I'm just surprised Aus that its actually a word!

Littleblacksmith

I've stopped being surprised what seemingly random accretion of letters folk down under use for words. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The opener on top was a gift for the outgoing president of the college where I work. It's made from a piece of rebar from the construction of our new hotel, the last big project of his tenure. He was thrilled. 

IMG_2819.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two more bottle openers from my attempt to make 25 for a camping trip.  One is made from a36 square bar and the other is made from a chunk of concrete tie rod (a friend gave me a bunch of cut offs).  The tie rod sparked weird...maybe orangish, with no sign of carbon but it was as tough a piece of steel as I've encountered.  The stuff resisted punching, slitting and general mashing unless is was yellow to bright red.  Both are left purposely to look rough and all, but there are flaws I didn't intend that I learned a lot from.

IMG_0532.thumb.JPG.2466881ab17a276b9eacd147868c56e0.JPG

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.693f57a72e075e2bb863f1a9d5eb23f3.JPG

4 hours ago, Thief_Of_Navarre said:

Somewhat reassuring tie rods are tough as heck!

My first inclination was to say, "You have no idea!" But I have no idea what tough metals you have worked with.  Even so, it is some seriously cranky metal to work with.  It defied my punches.

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

orangish, no sparklers, tough as heck---sound like a high alloy steel!

Thanks to my education here at IFI that's what I surmised.  Because of the usual trade secret/ASTM nonsense I couldn't find one reference to what those rods are actually made from.  Suffice it to say I have a pile of them with no current purpose.  I was, of course, asked to make a knife with it...but we all know there are myriad reasons that isn't happening...my lack of knife making skill being first.