I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I scanned the inter webs for pictures of bottle openers with n eye for my own design and came up with the idea to make a bottle opener that acts like pulling a trigger.  Made a prototype this afternoon.  There are some geometry issues but I went by feel mostly with just the bottle cap width as a working dimension.  Here's what I came up with.

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 10:21 PM, JHCC said:

The upper one in the top photo looks more like a hammer…. 

I think you might be able to find a spot you could wedge a cap in at and then open it.    Maybe it's a puzzle bottle opener....

On 7/11/2017 at 3:43 PM, Lou L said:

Last night I scanned the inter webs for pictures of bottle openers with n eye for my own design and came up with the idea to make a bottle opener that acts like pulling a trigger.  Made a prototype this afternoon.  There are some geometry issues but I went by feel mostly with just the bottle cap width as a working dimension.  Here's what I came up with.

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

I like it.   IT's a single shooter though.   That's probably best....   I guess most bottle openers are.    But that does bring up an interesting challenge!    How bout for parties having a 6 pack bottle opener!       Maybe we should start with a double barrel instead.

4 minutes ago, Borntoolate said:

I like it.   IT's a single shooter though.   That's probably best....   I guess most bottle openers are.    But that does bring up an interesting challenge!    How bout for parties having a 6 pack bottle opener!       Maybe we should start with a double barrel instead.

I think a double barrel bottle opener is a neat challenge...i could call it the "double action".

39 minutes ago, Lou L said:

I think a double barrel bottle opener is a neat challenge...i could call it the "double action".

or the de-CAP-itater!   I like the naming idea.   My mind wonders on that.    Cap-slinger.     I guess I am thinking sword names like Lord of the Rings...  But I realize you were sticking with the gun reference.

In a six pack there would be relatively standard spacing.   A double action opener could do 2 on one side, then 2 just opposite, then the 2 on the end.   but who would drink all of that???

Yeah, I was thinking that such an item would be a difficult building challenge that amounted to the glorification of over-indulging.  It sounds like classic American capitalism at its best!

16 minutes ago, JHCC said:

CAP-italism? Sounds like it would make things quite SOCIAL[ist].

Still, I'm MIXED on the ECONOMY of opening two at once.  My years of bartending have taught me that booze is a social lubricant similar to grease.  It starts off smooth but turns inevitably into a gritty, caustic gunk that clogs the screw on your vise.

Consume Mass Quantities!  (does that quote date me?)

I'd do a triple so you could do an entire side of a sixpack at a time.  Hmm making the center one the handle and having the others adjustable side to side (stiff but movable rivet joint?) would allow for some variation in bottle size.

Just the thing for tailgating!

Here are some of my leaf ones. I made about 20 of them to give to friends who bought me my forge this winter while my wifey was sick. I just started this winter so I have almost zero tools still, slowing trying to collect or make what I need as I need it.

0218171546.jpg

Not bad for beginning projects. Not at all.

Don't worry about finding the tools you "need". You really don't need many: hot fire (covered) anvil, you have one of those, hammers, (covered) something to cut with: hack saw, garage yard, etc. chisels, punches, Allan wrenches etc. (done deal) tongs, make your own. Use a bench vise till you find a leg vise IF you  need to hammer on the vise. 

Don't worry, we'll help. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Those are cool.  Drink one too many and you just might fall in love with one of those!

I made two super quick openers to give to the small engines mechanic who gives me free access to his scrap bin.  They hook onto a belt or pocket for easy access.

IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.21deceb896da8d0ef9f2ff299a8161f1.JPG

Lou, that is a really cool idea for bottle openers. I thought I had seen every possible bottle opener but they are out of the box. May I steal the idea to make one for our mechanic?

Honestly I'm not certain if it was my idea or if, in perusing the internet, I saw something like it long ago and the idea stuck in there.  Either way, have fun with it!  I tried twisting the handle the whole way on one of those but it didn't really work well or look good so I straightened and started over.  Also, don't bother spreading out the mouth of the flattened side...it happens by default when you draw it out.  I used a rounding hammer to dish it just because it looked cool to me.

Lou