I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blacksmithing is hot, heavy, sharp, and dangerous. YOU MUST learn how to avoid being injured or killed in order to succeed. That is why we push safety. We all have scars from the lessons we learned the hard way. Glenn

My rule that when I am done with a thing I was given for free I give it away with the instruction that the next person do the same. Steel it is one of the most if not the most recycled metal in the world. The same goes for good will and love to and from the pro and hobby smiths in the world. The more you keep your eyes out to help out a new guy it contributes to a cycle good that IMHO makes this world just a bit better every day.  eseemann

On 2016-08-07 at 6:17 PM, Glenn said:

My rule that when I am done with a thing I was given for free I give it away with the instruction that the next person do the same. Steel it is one of the most if not the most recycled metal in the world. The same goes for good will and love to and from the pro and hobby smiths in the world. The more you keep your eyes out to help out a new guy it contributes to a cycle good that IMHO makes this world just a bit better every day.  eseemann

The gardeners version is: "The best way too keep a plant is to give it away"

(as a scion so you can get one back when your has died)

There was a superstition amongst old English carpenters (18th and 19th centuries).  If a tool was left unused for a year, after that year the first time it was used it would seek blood.  Tools like to be used. Judson Yaggy

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:13 PM, Frosty said:

Teach them for leaving the keys in the ignition in bad neighborhoods. Kids here steal them for the street cred.

DO remove the keys from your vehicle!

Frosty The Lucky.

If I take my keys out I can't find where I put them anymore.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:26 AM, Glenn said:

dialed nine (9) but there is no eleven number (11) on my phone.  Glenn

I had an employee that tried repeatedly to dial 911 for a friend who had collapsed and he dialed 457-911 and it wouldn't go through, 457 is our towns code over and over he dialed.  His friend did live in spite of him!  

Always put your keys in only one place, back left pocket for instance, or in the kitchen junk drawer when you get to the house. I tied a short piece of brightly colored survey flagging to the key ring so it could be easily seen. When the vehicle goes in for repair I tie 18 to 20 inches of the brightly colored survey flagging to the key ring with the make and model of the car written on the flagging. They have not lost me car yet. (grin)

Keep a spare key in your wallet. Do not ask how I know this.