I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

T. P. is correct again; as per usual.

The Internet's false news fad seems to be all the rage these days .

What with the two million voter fraud and Mrs. Clinton's alleged pizza parlor child molestation ring.

It's the truth by Gadfry, I read it on the net!

Just saying.

SLAG.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

From Blister Fingers

*The metal will never get hotter than your fire. Things don't tend to surpass their environment.

*Every time you swing the hammer into the steel, it has a consequence. Be mindful of your words and actions.

*If the steel isn't moving how you want it to, you're doing something wrong. See the hint above.

*Never swing the hammer harder than you can control it, and never use a hammer too heavy for comfort. Know your limits or face the consequences.

*Doing it right the first time is infinitely faster than going back and fixing mistakes.

*Proper sequence is important. Don't get ahead of yourself.

*Most mistakes can be fixed, but sometimes it's best to move on.

• 2 weeks later...

To test if a weld has set simply lay one side on the anvil and watch it cool. If it loses color evenly across the weld it has taken and is ready for refinement. If however there is a sharp line between the halves, black against the anvil and red above the weld line it has NOT set. Reset the weld, brush, flux and bring to welding temp with soak time. Repeat setting procedure. Frosty the Lucky

That weld is commonly a cleft weld, sometimes called a "bird's mouth." The mild steel is split and each split end width is tapered. I open the split a bit and use a ball peen at the anvil edge. The tool steel is tapered on one length so you have a rough triangular cross section. This steel is going to be somewhat wider and longer than the cleft. The tool steel taper is made ragged on edge by using a hot cut repeatedly and diagonally along its length. This gives gripability when the room- temp 'bit' is driven into the red hot cleft. I find it easier to squeeze the sandwich together in the vise than to hammer on them before welding. At a welding heat, NO SPARKS, use moderate backing-up blows to better seat the bit and to perhaps squeeze a little undesirable soup out the edges. Then hit on the flat, center of blade first, then toward one corner. Hit the middle again and work toward the other corner. It might take several welding heats. Frank Turley

• 2 weeks later...

Pins next to the feet will keep it from walking about.

You bought the WHOLE ANVIL not just the face. Not securing the anvil to the stand means you can turn the anvil every which way but loose. That allows you to use the curves under the horn and heel, the curves between the feet, the curves between the feet and waist, as a swage block to bend metal. You can turn the anvil on end with the horn up into the air, or the heel up into the air, and even use the porter holes if you want. 

On November 2, 2016 at 5:56 PM, littleblacksmith said:

aw man, watching German sausages being made is the wurst!

Littleblacksmith

A little more German. I was US Army stationed in peacetime Germany in the mid 1950's, and on leave, I noticed that many Germans carried nice leather "brief cases". You would see them on the bus or downtown sidewalks, etc. One time I saw a couple on a park bench open their cases and out came bread, cheese, and wurst. All the time, I thought there were important papers inside. Furthermore, when I told a German friend that we called the case a "brief case," he laughed out loud. Brief case translates as "letter cheese."