• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A guy on a town sell and swap page was selling this as an anvil.  It is beat up and I have little need for it but it was a curiosity I had to have it.  It was cheap anyway.  It appears to be a small swage block with a small bick.  It is 11.5 inches tip to tail.  The guy told me his grandfather used it as an anvil.  You can see where his missed hits took chunks off of the corners and he deformed some of the swages.  Too bad he didn’t know.  Either way, anyone have any ideas what it is and where it comes from?

2F9729C2-04FE-401F-801A-C8C619F1C0AB.thumb.jpeg.e75351afcd898c45b2765f7e282409e2.jpeg

4FF9565B-A3B6-4C48-8434-0A4ABF266E4F.thumb.jpeg.303405fb1ad097456429dace53472644.jpeg

Took my daughter to the fleamarket today and found a few things. A few handles so I can make a few jackhammers, an oval bracelet mandrel, and a 14# Iron City straight pein sledge. The bracelet mandrel was an interesting find. I'll probably weld a different shank on it since the welds to the round stock are cracked anyway.

20190407_120228.thumb.jpg.3946e6558647a5f4450e5dbc6f03f1d3.jpg

20190407_120200.thumb.jpg.f8937c87e7603c235084863a25fbe68c.jpg

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

14# Iron City straight pein sledge

Stone dressing sledge, I have a 22 lb Iron City just like it. It's a handle eating beast. I may have to go with a new fangled plastic handle if it breaks another handle. and NO it's not from missed blows. It's a metal moving beast.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, it's probably worth a Fiver Das, I got mine as part of a take it or leave it deal. 

2 minutes ago, Chris J Dixon said:

Not sure what I’ll do with the holy stuff.

It's called "perforated sheet" and is excellent to have on hand, don't invent reasons to use it, the reasons will come to you and you'll be glad to have it on hand.  It is good for candle holders, keeps flammables say paper napkins off the flame and casts attractive shadows. The bed frame angle iron is NOT mild steel, it's in the medium carbon range and is tough strong stock. It'd probably be a good addition to a pattern welded axe billet.

Good scrounge, well done!

Oh, for you guys picking up stuff from ditches and rural dump sites. The head of "Right Of Ways", the people you have to call to have abandoned cars hauled out of ditches. I had to go through some serious bureaucrat drubbing to discover the right office to call to have an abandoned junker removed from the ditch about 50' from our driveway verge. The thing was blocking out line of sight and a real road hazard but not the State Troopers problem, nor the Wasilla PD's nor. . . Anyway talking to the nice lady, director of Right Of Ways, got it tagged and towed within 48 hrs. about as fast as she could do anything, the Dept is really understaffed for field guys. She gave me a card of 6 free dump passes for bringing it to her attention and not being nasty about it. She said if I had to pick up crap dumped in our driveway she'd give me more for each run. I asked about steel I picked up out of ditches for stock as a blacksmith and she said I'd get dump passes for that too, she thought blacksmiths helping clean the right of way deserved the reward. 

I don't know about your Right of Ways Dept policy but here I not only get springs, axles, etc. I get a sheet of 6 transfer station (dump) passes. 

Can YOU spell win win?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Concerning your 22 Iron City straight pein sledge hammer.  One add-on might save the wooden handles that you prefer.

It is an over-strike protector. They are installed on the handle just below the head,  and they are constructed using a rubber or rubberized substance.

I find plastic handles robust,  but they are not very shock absorbing.

(especially when we get older).

Regards,

SLAG.

I must get back to cooking Kotogari Chicken Kari (an amazing hot  madras curry.) YUM.