• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just picked this hunk of bar up from the side of the road. About 1/2” x 2-1/2” x 28”.  Despite the location, it doesn’t look like leaf spring, so I’ll try a spark test when I get it home.

16FE455C-423B-421A-AB2A-2A0115F1D6C8.jpeg

I found this in a tool box at that I bought at a garage sale today. Does anyone know what it is called or used for.

Also got an air compressor as well as some casters, hacksaws, and some random steel.

All for $30 btw.:D

20180531_082001.thumb.jpg.bd0e639cf717c9635afcad91f02117b4.jpg

20180531_081709.jpg

Didn’t buy the earlier shown vice & stand from CL for the mobile forge equipment but found this beauty next door (village). It’s a full functional 4 ½ in jaw vice and fully forged if you look at the lock plates, chiselled eyes for the screw box and rivets. The vice is only wire brushed and passivated with linseed oil. Greased the screw, dressed the push spring and made a new wedge for the join pin.

Was so glad to find this nice piece of equipment that I give the seller (20 dollares) one of my fire pokes to say thank you.

Build another vice stand in advance which is movable. Will finish (weld & paint) him today.

The big ‘b’ on the foot is a standard left over sample (2 ½ in plate) from edge hardness measuring to certify the gas-oxy cutting process from one of my clients. It’s add extra counter weight (55lbs) and balance to the stand. If the weight is not enough I will drive extra ground anchors though the holes in the ground or between the joints in the road stones.

Hope this little old guy will do his work very well:D.

Cheers, Hans

DSC00524.JPG

DSC00523.JPG

DSC00527.JPG

DSC00525.JPG

DSC00526.JPG

Went to my local scrap yard for a quick run yesterday.  I was early enough to beat the truck that hauls it all away every day so I had nice piles to pick through.  Found some nice coil springs, hay rake tines and something I've never seen before.  The pointy pieces slowly get wider as you go from the point upward.  I have no clue what they are so if anyone here knows, please let me know.  I plan on using the pointy pieces to make hardy tools.  What I do know about them is that they were long piece cut into several pieces and I think the very top piece was threaded and was quite large  at something like 2 or 3 inches.  I also had a 3/4 inch steel rod as well that is not pictured because it was so long.  $5 for all of it.

DSCN5315.thumb.JPG.f6a84693d87b3f65bbe5ba095c598c8e.JPG

DSCN5312.thumb.JPG.aeb18b3d326c3e6b60f7e397fb85dc8b.JPG

DSCN5316.thumb.JPG.2ff23cbe2b791c958fe41a0e72e1c072.JPG

For the next picture,

I suggest that you put a known item beside the unknown one for comparison purposes.

Like a quarter, dollar bill, hammer, et cetera.

It then becomes much easier to visualize.

Just sayyin',

SLAG.

Ah, good point Slag.  The pieces in question are roughly an inch by inch square  near the point and increase to almost 1 1/2 inches toward the top cut-off part and the longest one is a little over 2 feet in length.  I hope that helps.  Yeah, how dumb of me they could be nails for all you guys know as the picture really gives no idea to size.

On my way home from church I noticed the local Fire Department loading a dumpster so stopped to inquire. They said it was all junk and to take whatever I wanted. I got the siren off the building roof, several old Scot air tanks, a lot of aluminum plate, about 50 pounds of brass fittings, and some turnout gear. Plugged the siren in and it works fine...  It was a good day for dumpster diving.  

image.jpeg