I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Big gun and JHCC It supposedly doesn’t work and the place I got it from didn’t consider it worth repairing so I will consider it a gift from the blacksmithing gods, and I know a foundry will require hotter temps than THAT burner can make, notice I’m skipping the sarcastic jokes about deep frying my Twinkie’s next to my aluminum. I like the stainless construction, cylinder is 12 inches wide and at least as deep if not more. I however am lacking time and a plan for a foundry if you have good designs you could point me to that would be awesome.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still think you could save time and money by starting from scratch for a foundry set up. An old ceramics kiln would be a better starting point.  Alloy Avenue is a forum for backyard casting. What you have looks like a pressure cooker from the looks of the lid. Can you post a picture of the data plate/name tag?

Just an aside. I picked up a $4,300 vacuum packer that was "broken" for $150 (the vacuum pump is worth $1,000). Checked it over and found a 1A fuse that had blown....... Now I have a working supermarket grade packer that I can make some money with doing packing for locals.

What some companies don't consider worth repairing is perfectly suitable for repairing for others. Work gave me an ABS triple deck oven because they wanted it gone and it "needs work". It was being used when they upgraded to a rotating convection oven. New this deck oven is $25,000. New hearth stones won't cost me that much, and I will be well under what a good used one goes for today.

If that is made by Broaster , they run around $5,000 used, so I would seriously look into what it would need to get working again. Even selling it for parts it would fund a much better foundry set up.

Sometimes the smithing Gods send us stuff not to use directly, but to get whet we need by flipping them to those that can use them.

This came in today! Just getting started in the craft, so it’s well beyond my ability still but I enjoy reading and found this fascinating and bought the whole collection (what they still had anyway).

25EB7B4F-4827-4EC8-9F03-C187062FB04B.jpeg

Does this qualify as TPAAT? I did the rounds at a few tag sales for rusty bits as I usually do on the weekend. Third sale and about to call it quits when I ask the owners if they have any old tools laying around. "We have an anvil behind that shed but it wasn't even for sale, want to look?". Ended up taking it home for $1/lb, it weighed in at 133 lb on the bathroom scale. Looks like a hay budden.

The edges are a bit rolled over and some wings. She rings like a bell, that could be rough.

Bryan

20180609_110434.jpg

20180609_110444.jpg

Das, JHCC,

Permit me to add a further note concerning the use of a respirator when operating a plasma cutter.

Respirators come in two types. 

Many respirators trap particulate matte,r  only.

The other type of respirator does that,  but it also protects against toxic chemicals and vapors (gasses).

These latter respirators are more expensive. They usually have two sets of filters. One is a pre-filter cartridge and the next one is the main filter cartridge.

Usually the main filter has a gas/chemical absorbent to 'soak' up toxic gases. That substance is often activated charcoal.

The latter respirator is advisable.

Why?

Because the metal may be galvanized and you do not want to come down with metal fume fever. (which can be fatal).

Also, the metal may have an organic coating, & it will gas off and those fumes should also be avoided.

The respirator should be stored in a gas tight pouch, because the filter will continue to absorb any ambient gasses. In other word, that precaution will extend the life of the filter cartridge.

I am very cautious when using a plasma cutter.  I use a gas trapping respirator.  I operate the machine out of doors, and use a fan to blow the cuttings and gasses away from me.

Frosty's suggestion of using a tub of water to trap some  of the resultant grunge is an excellent idea. (I'll be using that,  the next time I cut metal.)

By the way the galvanized steel coating can be stripped off by an overnight bath in vinegar (or another acid).

That is my two cents worth.

Regards,

To all the metal hammering fraternity.

SLAG.

Some plasma cutting tables actually run the tip under water. One issues is if you cut stainless you just created a toxic waste disposal issue with the water. I have a 5x10 CNC table and I was told , do not use water with stainless due to the disposal issues with the water, cut it dry.

Excellent addition Slag, Biggun.  

I picked up some, eh, possible anvils and maybe some hammers today to try out. Will see how it works out. Dunno about the hammer idea but it seems like a fun idea to try. Will try to weigh them tomorrow. Been wanting to try this idea out for around a year. 

The one smaller rock just has some cool shell fossils. 

This oughta be fun. ;)

IMG_10062018_002701.jpg

IMG_10062018_002709.jpg

IMG_10062018_002721.jpg

When I'm  seriously concerned about welding, cutting, etc. breath hazards I drag out my supplied air welding helmet. Not a welding shield an actual helmet the oiless carbon vane air compressor goes outside or another room completely. Apparently "mild" steels can have some nasty alloying metals, say lead in free machining alloys.

However, for folk without a space suit I'm wondering if plasma cut byproducts, some actual metallic gasses, could be trapped by an electro-static process. are the cuttings electrically charged, I believe some are ionized. Can't we stick it to a properly charged plate, similar to sputtering but without the vacuum?

The water, hazmat issue is something I didn't know, I don't have a plasma cutter so never looked into the things. Maybe let the water evaporate and sweep up the residue and encapsulate it in concrete?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, BryanL said:

Ended up taking it home for $1/lb, it weighed in at 133 lb 

WOW. Great find!!!!!  Anvil envy !

Finally found some free CL blinds for tbe shop window to replace the Alf blanket my son gave me when he no longer had use for it. Love ya Alf, but we all have to grow up sometime. I'm 54 :-)

20180610_150250-1.jpg

20180610_150304_HDR-1.jpg

20180610_150214-1.jpg

I haven't has much to post here lately but this Very Heavy welding table ? is following me home tomorrow.. its 46" X 39" X 27" tall and 3/4" thick top plate..  many uses come to mind with this.. including mounting my 200lb bench vise to it and is just about the correct Hight for my large post vise as well..  

8047[1].jpg

8048[1].jpg

8050[1].jpg

8049[1].jpg

10424[1].jpg

IMG_0515.thumb.JPG.11f9f0b37d4786b47a1a63ea8b93ff85[1].jpg

JT that thing is awesome. I see bending jig with all those holes  to use.  Also alot of vise envy going on here! 

Hey Das. That blanket(bed sheet actually) has been on that window for 15 years. But was a real hassle to try to tuck it up out of the way to get light in the shop. It was just thumb tacked to the wall. It was emotionally hard to take it down but I put a piece of it on the big door. :-)

20180610_154808-1.jpg

Basalt and jade are two rocks that are mentioned as being used for anvils historically.   Back in the Neo Tribal Metalsmiths days I remember one NTM using a granite cobblestone effectively.  Limestone is not usually suggested and beware any dust formed wortking with it as it can be unslaked lime.

I planned safety glasses And a face shield to experiment. I'll include a respirator. I'm not the best with all the rock types. These just Seemed like they "might" work. A chip on the larger one revealed it might not be as usable as I had thought but hey, I'm curious enough to give it a safe try.