I Forge Iron

It followed me home

After 4 dump truck loads of old carpets, clothing and miscellaneous crap found a few things I was allowed to keep.  Busy day helping a great aunt clean out the sheds and barn were her son had been living before he passed.  Big blower that runs super smooth.  A small rivet forge, needs legs  a crank handle , and un- seized.  An old military pack frame in good shape.  Bundle of fishing rods and reels,  even a fly fishing setup or two,  kids will have a blast on the lakes this summer  :)  Two outdoor burn sets that will be made into one for the wifes canning.  Was heaps of interesting knick knacks but no room to keep it.  Bet I could have filled a few five gal pails with various cast brass items he had collected over the years.   Ton of odds and ends for tools but no room to get into them just yet and not much I didn't see for wrenchs and such that I don't already have.DSC02958.thumb.JPG.ec83cc234554d9980e2f77316135580a.JPGDSC02957.thumb.JPG.9a07b94eda8f7250a0ba9bca0aad48fd.JPGDSC02956.thumb.JPG.ed0dab80ef4e36c232aaf3efd3174a56.JPGDSC02960.thumb.JPG.0211cda6710ad1930f179e0d1b682f8b.JPGDSC02961.thumb.JPG.6a4b8ad4ca4170cde810c56b34bf38d6.JPGDSC02962.thumb.JPG.7bf9bb5dcc6f566ca08f844381339736.JPGDSC02959.thumb.JPG.24d1a4fd738c5b3a02be6e12f3934cc9.JPG

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey now, this is a teaser.

Four days four nisan frontier loads to the bottom of the springs (not hard to do) at an estate sale. 100 year old? farm, and a fellow who did it all himself.

I ring my anvil for him, humbled by the evidence of his industrious life.

20170424_142204.jpg

20170424_142228.jpg

Now it's two-thirty in the afternoon, and I have NO IDEA as to how I got this on the truck, and I am having the denial of a time taking it off (Eyegor the Eyesore is currently "tied up")

#250 x 5/16" of the softest, ropiest wire rope a body could want.

Image with strand count coming soon.

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Post Assembly

Got this off of craigslist for $30.00.  Has some light pitting but all it's missing is some hose and a rosebud.  Everything else is there.  I looked at a comparable one off of cyberweld and they are going for about $400.00

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.26.11 PM.png

10 hours ago, ede said:

Got this off of craigslist for $30.00.  Has some light pitting but all it's missing is some hose and a rosebud.  Everything else is there.  I looked at a comparable one off of cyberweld and they are going for about $400.00

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.26.11 PM.png

Not that it means anything (I haven't seen them all, and I am on another continent!) but I do not recognise the make...Do you have a local dealer or online shop for the brand? Order a few of the O ring seals when you order the rose bud...get the largest rose bud of course...it is the only one you will ever use/need even if you have the full set...anybody want a couple of new old stock Victor rosebuds sizes 4 and 6? 

And see if you can get more cutting nozzles to suit...there are only a few styles and most of the smaller manufacturers sensibly use the spec/style of nozzle of the big boys. I have a USA origin Victor combination set and a couple of old BOC gas axes, plus a Handy Auto Japanese hand held motorised profiler and a Chain drive pipe cutter/beveller. The Handy Auto uses Victor nozzles and the pipe cutter uses BOC style.

At that price you only have to use it once to have paid for it, so no bother if the parts aren't around.  Good buy. :)

Probably trying to teach Granny to suck eggs but...Safety bit...do check all joints and components carefully for leaks...and not with soapy water...use plain water or the proprietary gas leak products.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Great idea on ordering replacement O ring seals.  Yes, this one is a Smith brand, which I believe Miller Welding has bought.  The Smith brand, as far as I know, is still made in the US.   You have quite a collection of torches and even Victors before they started being manufactured overseas!

You will never hear me complain about being reminded on Safety.  Thank-you for that! 

Half a dozen axles (five with CV joints, one without) and some linkage rods, courtesy of my mechanic, and a lot of structural steel (three pieces of 1/2" plate, a big welded-up chunk of...something, pieces of angle iron, square tube, pipe, etc), courtesy of the guys building the new college hotel (and more to come).

IMG_2678.JPG

14 hours ago, JHCC said:

Half a dozen axles (five with CV joints, one without) and some linkage rods, courtesy of my mechanic, and a lot of structural steel (three pieces of 1/2" plate, a big welded-up chunk of...something, pieces of angle iron, square tube, pipe, etc), courtesy of the guys building the new college hotel (and more to come).

IMG_2678.JPG

Seeing the juxtaposition of scrappy metal and car interior I am emboldened to offer a useful tip!

My Volvo estate cars have always doubled as people carriers, tow and delivery trucks, site cabin, tool store, dog kennel, deer tray carrier and everything in between.

They need to be converted between these modes at the drop of a hat.

I tried the OEM plastic liners both full and half length and they were okay but not versatile....you could only convert function at home base, when you could either dump the liner in the shed, or pick it up from the shed.

The solution....find a slightly over size lump of finest Wool mix Wilton or Axminster carpet being thrown out by someone. Rubber backed, and therefore largely waterproof an advantage. Wall to wall plus is ideal...I have a roll at the front which covers up stuff like rifle slips or levels..

Kind to workpiece finishes. Kind to domestic partner's sense of well being. Kind to itchy dogs paws without fear of vehicle resale value detriment. Robust enough to have horribly dirty lumps of scrap chucked in at a moments notice. Helps to keep load from sliding about. Will fold up to suit whether you have the rear seats up or down, easy to take out and shake/wash/ burn. Can be easily changed on a regular basis to prevent ennui setting in with overly familiar interior decor.

I have a mind to market this innovative, nay, revolutionary idea as CAR PET. Hence the promotional image below.

:)

Alan

59047bb66b607_AlanEvansCARPET.thumb.jpg.c84d8306a393831e23dcb15289a73d02.jpg

26 minutes ago, Alan Evans said:

The solution....find a slightly over size lump of finest Wool mix Wilton or Axminster carpet being thrown out by someone. Rubber backed, and therefore largely waterproof an advantage. Wall to wall plus is ideal...

Good advice -- thanks. 

I have just got home with this lot, I paid £35 and the guy has said if I meet him tomorrow at another local sale he has about 6lb of rods he will give me to go with it.

The hammer is a 2lb ball pein and just what I have been looking for. The only thing I am not sure about is the item in the last photo I am not sure what it is called or what it's purpose is. Any information would be great.

20170430_161308.jpg

20170430_161316.jpg

20170430_161330.jpg

....and it looks like you have a pack of carbon arc rods too (copper coated) connect to the welder, place a rod in each holder and move the rods together/apart using the yellow slider. Generates an arc betwee the rod tips. You'll soon realise how to go on from there.

Cool thanks Smoggy, the guy who sold it didn't seem to know what they were he bought it because he thought he would get into welding and never did. I will put a pic of the other rods when I get them tomorrow.

PS I have just watched a video on using a carbon arc torch. It looks really good and something I will practice.

That wrench next to the ball peen hammer is probably a Collins or Coes brand (Google "Collins wrench" or "Coes wrench").  If the wooden handle is in fine shape and the rest of the wrench is likewise, it can be fairly valuable.  I picked one up for $17.50 at an old shop and found one in identical shape online that sold for $160.  I now have two hanging in the shop, one a Collins the other a Coes.  If it's in bad shape, it will make a fine twisting wrench if you weld a handle on the fixed jaw.

the 1908 Sears & Roebuck catalog sold both the Coe's and an unnamed similar wrench: the "Genuine Coe's" ran 29 cents for the 6" up to $1.63 for the 21" wrench that would open 4.5".  The unnamed wrenches ran 19 cents for the 6" and only went up to the 15' one for 48 cents.

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Cool! The new dog's name?

Frosty The Lucky.

well, yesterday it was Winnie, but today it is Daisy Mae, daisy for short, which I think it will stay at.

6 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

I'm happy for you! What a cutie!

Thanks! I'm happy to!

Littleblacksmith