I Forge Iron

It followed me home

A trip to the scrap yard. 29 inches of fork lift tine=2 striking anvils. Also a small axle, 3 pieces of leaf spring, a plow point that I thought was kinda cool, a large array of cast iron, and an old Klein wire puller. Along with that I found a old hand forged hinge. you can see the holes were punched by the swelling, but the actual hinge part is hard to tell if it was forged. Also the middle holes parallel with the bar have a groove that runs about 1 inch on either side of the hole. Thoughts? and the tow pieces to the left of the long bar stock is Wrought iron. Speaking of the bar stock, I picked up 20 feet of 1/2" round, 20 feet of 1/4" round, and 20ft of 1/4"x 1 1/2" flat bar that I will be forging into strap hinges for my shop doors today.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6123[1].JPG

IMG_6124[1].JPG

IMG_6125[1].JPG

IMG_6126[1].JPG

IMG_6127[1].JPG

IMG_6128[1].JPG

IMG_6129[1].JPG

IMG_6130[1].JPG

IMG_6131[1].JPG

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

T headed bolts on the hinge at those points?  I was most impressed by the kids for the cast iron!  I find cast iron at the scrapyard at least once a year but hardly ever any lids for it. (and yes I make sure it was not used for lead melting before I restore it and use it for cooking)

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

*LIDS* for the cast iron; I'm already supplying my kids with the stuff...

I used to drive past a farm in upstate NY that often had a sign out front proclaiming "KIDS FOR SALE". 

Took me quite a while before I realized they were talking about goats....

Zeroclick. That's a boiler maker's hammer used to: flatten, dome. shrink, etc. plate steel/iron. Really nice addition to the blacksmith's tool kit, it'll make a fine sledge hammer sized rounding hammer. Good score.

John. One of the best things about raising goats is if your kids give you too much trouble you can sell or eat them without getting in trouble. BBQ kid goat is really good it picks up the flavor of smoke better than most meats. I loved eating the kids we didn't want to keep.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

A trip to the scrap yard. 29 inches of fork lift tine=2 striking anvils. Also a small axle, 3 pieces of leaf spring, a plow point that I thought was kinda cool, a large array of cast iron, and an old Klein wire puller. Along with that I found a old hand forged hinge. you can see the holes were punched by the swelling, but the actual hinge part is hard to tell if it was forged. Also the middle holes parallel with the bar have a groove that runs about 1 inch on either side of the hole. Thoughts? and the tow pieces to the left of the long bar stock is Wrought iron. Speaking of the bar stock, I picked up 20 feet of 1/2" round, 20 feet of 1/4" round, and 20ft of 1/4"x 1 1/2" flat bar that I will be forging into strap hinges for my shop doors today.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6123[1].JPG

IMG_6124[1].JPG

IMG_6125[1].JPG

IMG_6126[1].JPG

IMG_6127[1].JPG

IMG_6128[1].JPG

IMG_6129[1].JPG

IMG_6130[1].JPG

IMG_6131[1].JPG

The Force is strong with this one. Start making boxes out of pallets and scrap wood. 

24 minutes ago, Wroughton said:

The Force is strong with this one. Start making boxes out of pallets and scrap wood. 

Indeed, but please go back and delete the pictures out of the quoted section. They eat up a lot of bandwidth. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Zeroclick. That's a boiler maker's hammer used to: flatten, dome. shrink, etc. plate steel/iron. Really nice addition to the blacksmith's tool kit, it'll make a fine sledge hammer sized rounding hammer. Good score.

Thanks Frosty that is really cool to know. I hadn't heard of that hammer type.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, ThomasPowers said:

T headed bolts on the hinge at those points?  I was most impressed by the kids for the cast iron!  I find cast iron at the scrapyard at least once a year but hardly ever any lids for it. (and yes I make sure it was not used for lead melting before I restore it and use it for cooking)

I hadn't really seen T headed bolts before, did a quick google search, Could be a possibility.

Yeah, and none of the lids match anything I found! There was a cast iron pot similar to a Dutch oven but with a handle coming out of the side. I was really wanting that one because I don't have one like it, but was disappointed to see that it had two holes rusted through the bottom. I considered still picking it up and hanging it up on my shop wall.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, JHCC said:

If you're not going to use those pans yourself, LBS, you can clean them up, oil them with canola, and sell them for some decent $$. 

I will probably keep 'em. I would sell those lids, but with my luck then I would find a pot that fits one but doesn't have a lid! one of the skillets I will give to my cousin, him and I do cast iron cooking over and open fire. I may sell the other one,  or I may keep it because I have one that is bigger than it, and i have one that is smaller than it, but not one that is the same size.

I had never seen the cast iron piece that is at the top right. Its basically like a dish, but is cast iron. I was a bit disappointed to see that on the bottom of it, it said "Japan", but the stamping isn't perfect; the letters aren't in an exact straight line. Would it be possible that it is still old? well, I mean more than 60 or so years old? out of all of them it had the worst rust, but that doesn't mean much if they were stored in different environments.

I wire wheeled them with the angle grinder and re seasoned them. lookin good!

Last pic is the underside of one of the skillets.

IMG_6150[1].JPG

IMG_6152[1].JPG

IMG_6151[1].JPG

That oval plate is what they call a "sizzle platter" in the restaurant business. The chef heats it up in the oven, puts it on a matching plate (usually wood), and puts sauteed food in it just before it's served. The sauce on the food sizzles and pops, the moisture goes up in a cloud of fragrant steam, and everyone snaps to attention as the server brings it to the table. A classic example of "Sell the sizzle, not the steak."