• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool wine bottle holder Gergely. I like the texturing. 

I don't know why on earth I haven't added a lock ring on a couple pair of tongs I use to where I have to hold between my legs for chisel work lol. I guess I like fighting myself. * mental note: add lock ring to my tongs. * or just make a clip on lock.  

17 hours ago, Gergely said:

Thank you, Aus! The usual Trabant leafspring :) I tend to like that stuff...

Bests to you!

Gergely

Had to Google Trabant. Nice little car! Plastic body and monocoque chassis. Quite a collector's item.  I see there is a Hungarian band of the same name too.

I modified what was a right angle pair of scrolling tongs to straight jaw ones, just straitened, cut (after straightening the jaws were about 4" long) and ground the jaws back to a point. Quite satisfied with them, can't wait to try them out! I have been needing a good pair of scrolling tongs since I started smithing 3 years ago. 

Then, by request of a member on here, I took pictures and put together a quick presentation on how I forge my flower key chains. 

Littleblacksmith 

How I Forge a Flower Key Chain.pptx

IMG_7276[1].JPG

Last night I was teaching a friend of my baby's momma while her and her friend went to bingo. He was an observant learner and did well. Sorry I didn't get pictures  

Tonight I started a new fancy roasting fork. The last one I started developed cracks ugh. Back to beginner problems sometimes I guess. The new one is going well. Just need a little more time with it. image.thumb.jpg.7aef98f0c977a182878a178b2010b51c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.42a78f1e69b435f8101d81731d032bbf.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5d33ccba74e2ee21306b6aac051b23da.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.87fdb82a599c952f5a85349472ea6fcf.jpg

image.jpg

I forged four nails to hold down our Hay-Budden anvil, then stripped the bark and cut down a stump for the stand and set the anvil in calk. After that I played musicale anvils moving the farriers out of the shop and the Hay-Budden inside.

I'm tired and should sleep well tonight.

100_1902.thumb.JPG.2962b1a9da8a37327afee72e2f22acee.JPG

100_1903.thumb.JPG.a52e79b9ebe4cb5b4b3b0a54d3226c15.JPG

oohh, and on that stump, that step out, If it were mine, I would put an upsetting block, it would go perfect there.

Littleblacksmtih

either way it will be usefull, no doubt about that.

Littleblacksmith

20 hours ago, ausfire said:

Had to Google Trabant. Nice little car! Plastic body and monocoque chassis. Quite a collector's item.  I see there is a Hungarian band of the same name too.

Yeah, It's the most iconic car of the ex Estern Block. Very good selling point to use its parts.

17 hours ago, Reeltree said:

Great looking texturing ,, what type of tooling do you use

These go under the power hammer. Had to widen the cuts a little bit, now it's more effective. The original tooling idea came from here, and it was a hand hammer with these sorts of cuttings.

5a053c2451885_201709texturazoszerszamok.thumb.jpg.ce05d58379c3ea3a7c2167fb1d158949.jpg

13 hours ago, Ryan Thibault said:

I woke up to a snow day(no school), and i get the day off from work! I went outside to start up the foundry but my propane tanks are frozen so i could not get it started... its -20 here in canada!

Put the tank in a tub of warm water and get to work! Put the other in the house for when the first one is done

It is a BAD idea to put a propane tank in the house. 

Pressurized gas inside a single propane cylinder has the capacity to fill 1,000 times its given compressed volume. Propane should be stored outside the house in a cool, well-ventilated location above the grade of the yard and house and kept away from paths to lower areas, such as an open basement window.

Made a few of these miniature ram key rings from 8mm square bar. Ram bottle opener (12mm) is there for size comparison. These little things are good to make if you want a break from heavy hammering and they can be done quickly as demo pieces. They also sell well.

miniature rams.JPG

19 hours ago, Jasent said:

Put the tank in a tub of warm water and get to work! Put the other in the house for when the first one is done

ok so the first one worked... but the putting it in the house, my dad yelled at me!

15 hours ago, Glenn said:

It is a BAD idea to put a propane tank in the house. 

Thank you! Will be sure to keep that in mind.

15 hours ago, ausfire said:

Made a few of these miniature ram key rings from 8mm square bar.

Hey that's actually pretty cool man!! how come some look more "goldenish"?

On 11/9/2017 at 10:17 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I forged four nails to hold down our Hay-Budden anvil,

Kind of brilliant?!

On 11/8/2017 at 12:56 AM, Gergely said:

Made a pair of tongs, some throwing knives and a wine bottle holder.

the one on the right looks almost as it could be used as a bottle opener!

Started working on a wood heater for my shop roughly modeled off the one in my house. When I got started I had a couple options for the joints. I could either join all the corners using angle iron or I could fold the edges over and lock them together (like the ones on my professionally made one). I opted for the later but then I had to figure out how to make the bends in the sheet since I have no brake in my shop. So I improvised and used some large angle. When I get further along I'll post some pictures of it.