I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

We had a 70 Nova and it was a sweet car. It was Mother's commuter so when she got a new car it was still pristine. My little Sister got the Nova though. The heat shield between the exhaust manifold and floor was probably missing on yours. 

I remember seeing the dash board record players in magazines but never in person. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When i got the car me and my dad ripped into it. Rebuilt the engine and tranny, rear end etc. It was built to go real fast for 1/4 mile in a straight line. No there were no heat shields. The headers had a set of Cherry bombs attached and nothing behind them. Open exhaust basically.  The cam made it lope at red lights and if i laid into it, it vibrated windows and walls. One of those cars you could feel the power in your chest when it launched just being near it. That was my first car. I got it when i was 13 and me and my dad spent the next 3 years building it. That was also a time when car alarms started getting popular and i would cruise through school popping the gas every once in a while setting off everyone's alarm.  

Anyway gotta get out to the shop and put brakes on my truck today...

I had an opportunity when I was 15 to buy a '70 Nova with a 350 for $500.  I passed, but now I really wished I hadn't.  We also had a neighbor with a 67 Chevelle SS he was selling for $1500.  Missed that one too, dang it 

Mother's Nova had a 230cid V6 and a heat shield between the exhaust and floorboards.

A neighbor of ours had a 300sl Mercedes for sale for $1,000 but Dad said NO! No amount of love for gull wing doors could convince him to allow  me to buy a German car while I lived in his house. It'd sure be a SWEET supplement to my retirement account had I ignored him.

I just heard fewer than 1% of new vehicles have a manual transmission and the resale on vehicles with manuals is really going up.

Frosty The Lucky.

I drive a manual and I agree, it's getting harder and harder to find them. I lease and every few years the options dwindle. I don't think I'll be leasing next time around so I'll be looking for a used car with a 6 speed manual.. They're around, just not very many of them.

Ehh, they don't really give you much incentive to buy the car out after your lease, it's worth more to them if they pretty it up again and resell it to someone else. Plus, even though I have fooled my Sentra into thinking it's a pickup truck with all the different things I have squeezed into it over the last couple years, I think I could use something a little bigger. 

Not a truck, more like a Crosstrek or something that size.

The Chrysler record players from the late 50's to early 60's were originally the Hi-Way Hi-Fi and played a special speed record. Later they offered the RCA that played standard 45's.  They are quite valuable today. They were not great to use while cruising, more for park and play.

I am looking for one of the original Auto-Pilot cruise controls for my 60 Windsor coupe. Two modes of operation. One maintained the speed, the other was you controlled the throttle, and when you reached the speed it was set at it would push back against your foot with 3.5# of force.

Finished converting a small industrial cart into a mobile cutting table. Having made the grid in my last shop session, I spent this one cutting open the top of the cart and welding the resulting pieces and a whole lot of pieces of salvaged sheet (specifically, the enameled reflectors from a pair of fluorescent lights) into a large funnel to direct any sparks and slag down into a bucket of water. Behold what happens when you let a hobbyist loose with an overpowered welder and an excess of enthusiasm. 

E1B6FD8F-ACCA-4ACA-B35F-0ECA3E140FF1.jpeg

83E650CF-CE5D-4942-B701-BF1D0B7BEBE0.jpeg

31737866-AFC2-4683-B3D1-FA3F1C684388.jpeg

1BB7FCFB-4F7F-4A41-AADB-F4FBA341BE1E.jpeg

Here is how the grid is installed. There are two support pieces, each comprised of one short bar and one long side bar welded together at 90°; the latter is notched to receive the bars. Here, the bar in front is in position, and the bar to the rear hasn’t yet been put in its final place.

202C2C3C-F74D-45FD-BE75-A1132F78D78E.jpeg

Both support pieces where they belong, with the free end of the long bar resting on the short bar of the other support piece:

93C4F3DF-0534-4CB5-8C50-314EE9391196.jpeg

And the grid bars slotted vertically into place:

220FF94A-2F5E-4038-91ED-E7CBADD92E15.jpeg

Next step: learn how to use a cutting torch. 

Looks pretty slick John, I like it.

Now, if you were to build another truncated chute that fit above that one and had a free air gap between the two you could connect it to an old shop vac and not have any smoke or fumes get loose in the work space. The trick is having a long enough duct so the vac isn't exhausting in the shop.

Hmmm?

There was a cutting / welding bar grate table connected to the shop exhaust system in one of the State equipment shops I've always admired. Unless they were cutting out in the shop they never had to turn the shop's exhaust fans on and that is a REAL advantage when temps drop below zero.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Ted Ewert said:

my first car was a '67 Chevy Nova

My first car was a 73 charger SE. First car I was driving was an 83 charger my brother and I went in on together. Lots of memories in that. The 73 was in rough condition. I eventually got it roadworthy and had a lot of fun and bad times driving it. It's still my favorite car. 

Have a semi delapitated 74 nova that I plan on being a project for my daughter and i. A lot of people ask about it but I'm not ready to sell.