Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/19/2021 at 12:57 PM, bluerooster said:

Worked on the vise project some more. Got the screw and spring temporarily installed. It works pretty smooth.

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I need a vise like that.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, BillyBones said:

One more, there is no hanger 18.  

Ooooo... That must be the secret underground hanger with all the UFO's and dead aliens. 

That's a beautiful wreath Ted. Have you tried "Fold Forming" it works in steel though it's more work than non-ferrous.

Who says the aliens are dead? You must not pay attention to the wild eyed frizzy hair guy who has all the evidence humans can't do anything without aliens.

Frosty The Lucky.

Why izzit that once you get the forge fired, and the fire just where you want it, and in the middle of a project, the "boss lady" comes out to inform you that you need to make a store run?   I'd just loaded it with fresh coal around the sides, and had iron in the fire. So, I banked it, opened the ash dump, and told her to keep an eye on it, because it's liable to go POP. Told her to just put out any fires started by the pop, and leave the forge alone, I'll be right back.  (kinda wish I'd left the ash dump closed to re-enforce my point)   Well I got back in jig time, and it went "Poot", but she said it blew it's self out, Oh, it's not out I told her, and gave the blower a crank or two, it came right back. Glad I left the iron in the fire, it was holding temp, so didn't take much to get back to forging temp.

Coal smoke = no mosquitos is an advantage of coal. 

We're getting into serious mosquito season here, I was running the string trimmer around while Deb has the RV elsewhere and I got bitten up good. 

Frosty The Lucky.

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Who says the aliens are dead? You must not pay attention to the wild eyed frizzy hair guy who has all the evidence humans can't do anything without aliens.

Thanks Frosty. I resemble that last remark! Actually, a buddy of mine and I saw a big UFO fly above some close-by hills one night. We got a real good look at it and it wasn't any swamp gas or a weather balloon. 

The leaves in the candle holder were folded over, peened into a curve, then opened back up. Is that what you're referring to? 

Yes, that's fold forming. If after you fold it you clamp it in a vise with a bit of the fold above the jaws you can hammer it down and round the fold. Peining with a sharpish cross pein or veining punch makes a leaf with a central and concentric angled veins. 

If the UFO crew didn't give you a good probing it was a weather balloon. Did it leave twin parallel flames on the ground?

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Coal smoke = no mosquitos is an advantage of coal. 

We're getting into serious mosquito season here, I was running the string trimmer around while Deb has the RV elsewhere and I got bitten up good. 

When I run my hit and miss engines in the summer, I mix in a little citronella lamp oil in the fuel (I run them on generic Coleman fuel/white gas) and that helps keep the little buggars at bay!  I thought about trying it in the 50:1 mix in my trimmer, but figure it isn't really made for lubrication and will destroy it.  But hit and miss engines will burn it just fine.

You get the aliens most accustomed to your local environment; for example: out here in the desert we get the folks from Tatooine and in Southern Louisiana you get the folks from Dagoba.  Frosty might see some folks from Hoth during the cold season. 

Got a bit more clean up done, the 5 sets of 8' fluorescent lights I had bought a decade ago at the fleamarket to light my shop; got pulled out of the rafters and will be scrapped.  Technology has advanced past even what I would agree to use!   Also put a 10' piece of 12" spiral ducting into the rafters.  Found that a collared dove had made a nest in the 10" duct already there.  Of course a number of years ago I had enclosed all the shop openings with chicken wire and so just the mess was left.

I still have to figure out where to stack the 4"x12"x8' to get to the area the Bader will go.  I don't want to make a mess until the final inspection/sign off on the power is done. (Then I can cut the boards and make a stout set of shelves!)

Spent a couple of days in a friends shop this week. Bolting down a gorgeous, French Pig Anvil as the lag bolted chains didn't really hold it down that well. Then a lot of tapers, she would start the scroll and I'd finish it in the jig, 30+ of those scrolls.  Love helping out in another shop.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:17 PM, Frosty said:

What kind of wax are you using for the finish? 

Thanks Frosty. I forget the name of the wax at the moment but it’s whatever Home Depot had in place of Johnson’s since they were out of that. You can kind of see what I’m talking about in this picture. It’s quite blotchy. 

5F9B9924-8631-400C-B9A2-ED222A326C60.jpeg

I looked at a can of Johnson's paste wax a while back to see how much carnauba it contained and there were a raft of other chemicals in it. Guys are getting good results. Other paste furniture and floor "polishes" they evidently can't call them wax. I don't know what some of the synthetic waxes and silicone is in them and don't need to experiment, I still have more than half the original can of Trewax I bought probably 35 years ago.

Trewax or Bowling Alley Wax are harder to find but a furniture or hardwood floor store will carry it I found it in our local Home Depot on the polish shelves and prominently displayed in the flooring and furniture departments.

I LOVE Trewax. You have to apply it to hot pieces and wipe the excess off thoroughly. Carnauba is crazy hard wax, thick areas will be brittle and chip from impacts. A super thin layer is almost bulletproof, I've had plant hangers on the barn and our upper decks the barn for going on 25 years with no signs of rust. Even where hanging plants have been swinging from them in the wind.

It's expensive but my can will last longer than I will. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Had a great weekend, planned the whole summer camp, and received my very first comission, a dutch oven lid lifter. The old one was lost a year ago. I'm not getting paid however, but it's fine, I'll be using it myself most of the time. I'll start working on that after moving.

Also, I made a belated father's day gift, I'm going to see my dad this Friday. I very originally made a steak flipper for him. From 8 mm round bar, the only thing I really did was form the point and fish tail, and some bending.

IMG_20210621_210458.thumb.jpg.256babda06e2cc147ac97b07348a057e.jpg

IMG_20210621_210508.thumb.jpg.190c668d615fc2b1df941ed8b36cb486.jpg

I think he'll like it! Big BBQ guy.

~Jobtiel

Took the cart that followed me home the other day and converted it into a mobile torch cutting table. 

0E97A16C-7D15-467D-AE67-B7F57D8CAA67.jpeg

I plan to cut out the bottom and make a big funnel down to a water bucket on the lower shelf, but I’ll have to get some sheet stock first. 

I like beer. 

Not my shop, i guess it was someone else's i saw something odd, or at least the first time. As i was on my way home from work i passed a electric company truck with a guy working the lines. He had his hard hat on but around the brim was a row of LED lights. They looked as if they were not in his eyes but made light in a 360* circle around him. Also it was a quarter to 2 in the AM and you would have to be blind to have missed him. Now how can i use something like that in the shop...