Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Ted Ewert said:

weaving those hooks in and trying to keep it straight was a bit tricky.

I was thinking you had the two rods straight, and oval holes in the hooks. Tack the rod ends, slide the hooks on the heated rods, then use the hooks to twist the wire.  Could even hold the ends still, and just rotate the middle hook to give a mirrored twist.

Beautiful urn JHCC. What a nice way to honor your father. 

Bigdoc, I just drilled regular holes in the hooks, don't have any of those fancy oval bits. ;)

Lots of ways to do the twist. I made a twsting rod with two holes the same distance apart as those in the hooks. That way it was easy to slid the hook on and set it in place. I roughly estimated the distance between the hooks and made a punch mark where they should be. I used the bending jig from my last project to make the arc.

I did make an attempt at an oval in the middle of the mounting plate. All I can think of when I look at it now is the eye of Sauron. I kind of like the ice cream cone finials though. 

I have Chubby Checkers in my head now singing "Let's do the twist".

I'm working ON the shop again. Got a truckload of gravel to fill the inside and outside, 12-13 cubic meters of gravel. Shifted it with shovel and wheel barrow. On thursday it looked like

jCgM9Cv.png

And last evening like this

eVMrB76h.jpg

We managed to move most of it my fiancé and I. And we got the path cleared for Elvis (our robot mower) which the truck driver covered up. Still a few more wheel barrow loads, we're putting it behind the shed and making a graveled area there. My intent is to build a lean to roof behind there. For even more storage. It'll be off the books....

I am actually thinking that back place might be the best place where to actually put my smithy more permanently. Since my family wants to see the shed used mainly for storage and not smithing.  As long as it has walls and a roof.

Beautiful urn John, very fitting. 

Ted you just need an Ovalization drift to ovalate the holes in your hooks. Easy peasy, you could just weld to short pieces of your round stock together side to side and grind the ends to truncated points small enough to start in the drilled or punched hole. 

Of course forging and grinding drifts is pretty basic blacksmithery. 

I really like your hanger, the entire piece is pleasing to the eye. I believe you have a very marketable piece with a lot of possible variations.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. I'll give it a try on your say so. 

I started cleaning off my main workbench yesterday, which bled into today. I also decided to sharpen my drill bits, just the round ones, with my little drill doctor. I must have nearly 100 bits. I think they invite their friends over when I turn the lights off.

Anyway, I had one 7/16" bit that wouldn't cut even though the edge was sharp. I put some diechem on the face to see what the problem was. In the process I managed to tip the bottle over. Then I tried to catch it before it fell off the bench. 

Suddenly I was in a world of blue. Salty language poured forth as I frantically tried to find something to soak it up with. Rags were everywhere a few hours before, but not when I needed one most. 

The faster I tried to get things out of the path of a rapidly spreading pool, the more I splashed it everywhere else. The blue plague engulfed everything.

Luckily I have a spray can of brake cleaner on the bench. It's one of those steel bottles you can refill then put compressed air in. That kept the diechem from drying immediately, which made it easier to spread even more.

If I had the forge lit the whole place would have gone up in flames just from the fumes.

I'm typing this now with blue fingers, and my blue jeans got much darker. I don't know what ever happened to the drill bit.  

placed "cast-o-lit-30 LI plus" on my forge yesterday as ceramic wool was exposed had a sluff that i patched this morning

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.7be82489da4cb4e544467ef1a0b5aca4.JPG

IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.5e554e09d68fae60d117b596758fc9bc.JPG

had my first ever lessons today with the recent restriction lightening of restrictions made a s hook and then a partner that didnt quit match but for first and second ever for it also made im happy. a leaf keychain to ugly to share and a fire poker in a 2.5 hour period while sharing forge and anvil. had a chance to work with a real anvil and that has cused me to up the usage of the TPAAAT to get myself one oh and i got  a reminder that i should never go for 4 months without spending time behind the hammer as my hands got too soft and im back at point zero blisters:angry: oh whel just gotta work the kinks back out of my hands

IMG_0032.thumb.JPG.d35f15a355abbf8542506aaf9c19da72.JPG

IMG_0031.thumb.JPG.a79758b568703a6b08f35cf13028305d.JPG

IMG_0034.thumb.JPG.c8beba93745f9c4ccee9e757a8dfdefd.JPG

M.J.Lampert

If I want to be sure I end the day with a blister, all I have to do is wear my wedding ring while working at the anvil. It would be much, much worse if I were left handed.

True story. I threw a cup out the window of my truck when driving back from the church with my wife to our house on our wedding day. My ring went flying off my finger. I was pretty skinny way back then — 6’ and 147 pounds. Luckily my best man had a metal detector. It took probably 30 - 40 minutes, but we found the ring. I have not littered since. 

Made some hooks yesterday and starting fiddling with making a knife out of 15N20. Didn't do much today as our neighbors had wedding in their/my yard and the tinking would have been frowned upon.

In other news, it appears weddings and me don't mix very well. On the plus side, that bottle of Jack I had for more than a year is finally gone, downside side my poor head now several hours later.

Sindoc, all us pro's know you leave at least one shot for the AM. Coupled with a raw egg and you will feel new again. 

Spent the day yesterday playing in the dirt. Dug 8 footers, 14" wide 36" deep, and mixed 50 bags of concrete. 16, 1/2" holes through 14" of concrete for the ledger. Man oh man is my back feeling it today. All this for a deck. Then when i went to get my building permit the inspector says that if i went 2' shorter i would not have needed a permit. 

On the bright side i did dig up some really good sized pieces of flint.