I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Deb got a couple led dog collars at the party when she retired. They flash in a couple three patterns and different colors. It'd be pretty easy to adapt one into a rotating beacon hat brim or collar.

I wore one into the bedroom the evening she brought them home and it was too intense for her. 

Mounting one on a reflector so it didn't get in the operator's eyes one would be a great way to let folks know a dangerous machine was running. 

Ooooh, put one on the kid's car with a WI FI connection that turns it on if they use their cell phone while the car is in motion! 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did some smithing between thunderstorms last night. I am trying to make a handle for a scythe snath and also another holder that will keep the scythe attached. It's a straight snath with a single handle that you are supposed to be able to move around, eastern european style.

I am thinking I will have to weld up a bick or similar to get it as round as I like. I also fabricated a bending jig for putting in the vise to help me, though that was after I used the horn to hammer it into shape already.

I would like to make jigs to fit the hardy hole instead though, 25x25mm square pipe should work I think, I can't see a need for it to be solid when it comes to certain jigs.

On 6/21/2021 at 1:43 PM, Frosty said:

super thin layer is almost bulletproof, I've had plant hangers on the barn and our upper decks the barn for going on 25 years with no signs of rust. Even where hanging plants have been swinging from them in the wind.

I definitely need to try that then. That’s another part (and the main part I guess) that I didn’t mention. After about a month of the dinner triangle I made hanging outside it had rust starting. I had the paste wax and two coats of some rustoleom rust inhibitor - super disappointing to get out and see your stuff starting to look terrible. 

The diameter of the snath is 38mm which is 1½" I believe, I have some stainless bolts that size and maybe some other material, but in shorter lengths. I was thinking of trying to forge one but I don't have the tools to hold stock that size

I made do with some vice grips, was a bit hot at times, and difficult to get a good grip but I managed something 

L2xFyEMh.jpg

ljnti8Th.jpg

Should probably have made a longer shank, but it was pretty tiring work, it seems to hold well when I try and beat on it. I might try and narrow the other end as wel as clean it up a bit.

I had a dream last night that I made a globe - dreams are weird so it didn’t look like this planet lol but the idea stuck. Would be more fabricating than forging I guess but my thought is basically a sphere shaped cage from round bar, the continents traced onto sheet metal and cut out and then everything tacked together. There’s no way someone hasn’t done this before - anyone seen anything like that I could use as a guide? I also need a lot of practice welding and have never cut sheet metal. I can get 24 gauge sheets pretty easy - think that thickness would be easy enough to cut by hand and be ok to weld?

2 hours ago, Pat Masterson said:

anyone seen anything like that I could use as a guide?

Yes. I am dating myself here but the Holiday Health spa we used to have had a statue of atlas holding a globe like you describe on top of the building. 

If you do am image search of wire globes you will get many, many examples of what you are talking about to get ideas from. You could even purchase a pre-made sphere and just attach the land masses. Would make a pretty cool lamp also. 

I was going to suggest finding a DIY globe kit and use the materials they provide to trace pieces to be welded rather than glued together.

Most "flat" maps are projections that won't fit together as a globe correctly.

Please allow for plate tectonics or your globe will be out of date in a few million years!

Yesterday I got to do some more welding in my ffa chapter’s shop. Y’all prolly don’t remember my post from a couple weeks ago, but we did more work on the livestock pens from that post. I also said back then that I would post pictures, and I have pictures now. The first picture is the fence panels we made in my previous post, and the second is the gates we made yesterday. I also got to play with... I mean... use some of our other cool toys like an industrial shear/punch.

9E328E0D-7F30-4D4B-AF03-3BB138E8C5AD.jpeg

0B8194AB-62C7-4228-B0D5-6C532F0433B2.jpeg

I was going to get out and do some forging tomorrow, but my boss called me and now I have to work. I’ll be out of town all next week, but I’m hoping to get some work done when I get back.

I think i would go backwards with the plate tectonic thing (or billions of years forward maybe) and make a Pangea kind of globe thing. 

I had a room mate who was a geologist and i remember once she showed me an underwater map that had elevations and stuff. She was pointing out how you could see "gouges" in the sea floor from where the land mass of India skidded into what is now the Himalayas. She kind of described it like a car wreck, real fast on a geological scale.