Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

How much head room is in the gate arches?

I’m not 100% sure but I think six feet, unfortunately for me I’m 6’2, and usually wear my cowboy boots with an inch and a half heel. Next year I’m going to be getting a sheep, and I’ll be feeding early in the morning (getting up at 5:30, in my truck driving at 5:45, at the barn at 6). I foresee many a groggy early morning head knock in my future. 

I wish I’d remembered to take some close up pictures of my welds. They ain’t the prettiest, but I gotta say: for my third day welding, they are pretty darn nice. There were only a couple that I really was particularly not proud of, but those were welding to hinges that had been powder coated when we bought them, so I had to learn to let the coat burn off and then go back over it a second time on the newly bare-ish metal, so I won’t fault myself too much for those. 

Wish you'd asked before cutting the steel Nathan. Standard door height is 6'9" and is getting a bit short for recent generations.

At 6'2" I expect the bar might slip right under the bill of your cap for a forehead tap.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I’d have cut them longer too, but I wasn’t the one that drew up the plans, and I was out of town on the day they cut stuff. Also I’m the only  tall person in the chapter, but I still agree it would have made more sense to make them taller. Oh well, I can’t change it, might as well learn to get used to ducking

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

I’ve found that while mowing, if I’m wearing a hat, I never see the low branches in my yard and run right into them. When I forego a hat, my field of view is better and know to duck… If you looking down at the animals as you walking through the gate with a hat, you’ll probably hit yourself in the head several times before it really sinks in…

Now that (the foam insulation) is a good idea. I may very well get odd looks but it’s better than concussions. I’m excited for October, that’s when I’ll get my license and then the sheep and then a whole domino effect will happen and my life will kinda start. 

Whoops, I forget not everyone is my age when I talk to people. The license that matters most to teenagers: drivers license. For fun, though, we shall say it’s a shepherds license. To be fair, it kinda is, as my mother won’t let me get a sheep until I can drive, cuz she “doesn’t want to drive me to the barn at 5:45 every morning” *joking exaggerated eye roll* 

We haven't forgotten and look forward to teasing you mercilessly for every slip. 

I've been retired since 2007 and feel like I've slept in if I get up at 4:00am, 5 if I'm not feeling well or stayed up late. 

I used to feed out little herd and flock before I hit the road for my morning commute. I was on the road by 4:45am. 6 days a week.

You kids are all spoiled. 

What kind of sheep are you getting? Meat, fiber, breed, etc.? I liked the goats a WHOLE LOT BETTER heck, I loved the goats, smart, mischievous, love you right back. They'd all gather at the fence and sing welcome when I got home from work. No fooling happy to see you food or not. 

Sheep are too stupid to trust Feed them from the FAR side of the fence. I built special mangers so I didn't have to go into the pen with food. 

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I used to feed out little herd and flock before I hit the road for my morning commute. I was on the road by 4:45am. 6 days a week.

What kind of sheep are you getting? Meat, fiber, breed, etc.?

Yeah, if I went to a normal high school I’d be getting up around 4:30. Luckily, my school doesn’t start until nine, as opposed to the normal seven or eight.

Honestly, I don’t know what kind of sheep, other than that it’s for showing, and my ag teacher will help me buy it.

In my junior and senior years, I plan to show calves. However, I can only do that if I show one of my aunt and uncle’s cattle, as I don’t have 3000 to spend on an animal, even if I will get it back in the end. My uncle said he won’t let me show one of their calves unless I show a small animal first, and I have multiple friends who show sheep, so I chose them over goats. I also won’t have the income yet this fall to feed the calf.

I like your Aunt and Uncle it takes time to learn what you need to show calves, sheep and goats are THE place most folk start. Younger maybe rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese are for when you can hold your own in a fist fight with a couple muggers. Don't trifle with the geese!

Tell your ag teacher Frosty likes these little cuties. ;)

Heck I don't even know if they're available in the US yet, expensive I bet for sure. Whatever you do get sheep with good temperament, even small ones can do you real damage. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1768602275_cutesheep.jpg.4bdd2f66f7eb97d086e988c09f6445c6.jpg

My previous pickup had wing windows.  My current pickup, 2 doors, extended cab, has side windows that open a couple of inches in the back and manual windows and a keyhole on each door!  (5 on the floor and cruise control too!) 

Like a well loved smithing tool; I'm looking for a backup just like it!

Nathan; some folks your age are eagerly working to get their pilot's license.

As much as I like Frosty's sheep pic; I know you will need to get what everybody else is showing.

Chrysler had a phonograph in some of their cars back in the late 50's i think it was. 

I hated those little pop out windows they put in trucks. 

Remember those pull knobs to open the vents in a car? Open them and the wings it would be like a wind tunnel in the car. I had a '70 Nova when i was in high school, the motor breath was so bad that the vents had to be opened even in the winter or your pant legs would almost catch on fire.