• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I usually only get to light the fire on weekends but work was slow yesterday and I had the itch...so I went home early and did some other “work” lol. This was supposed to be elegant with graceful curves but unfortunately those are not words I would use to describe the finished product. I want a coal forge and bigger anvil so badly for things like this where it just doesn’t fit in the forge after a certain point. But it works and I got to use the new touch mark I made for the first time. The touch mark needs a little work but the bottle holder does work so it was a good day. 

D972B7FD-0E36-4AC6-BC52-4BA6566A3629.jpeg

EEDCA339-567A-4872-8D9C-D89EC73E36E5.jpeg

AA74CFC0-4341-4606-A789-C87F0F276113.jpeg

One of the keys to smooth curves is to keep the workpiece moving and to avoid striking in the same place twice. 

That said, I think that looks quite nice. Your dissatisfaction with it is a good thing if it spurs you to do better next time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that metal will bend more when it's thinner and hotter. This means that if any one spot is thinner and hotter than the rest, it will bend more there. Even drawing out (eliminating all dents) and heating will help keep the bends even.

When I need to heat a length longer than my forge will; I dig a trench forge in the yard and use some larger black pipe with holes in the bottom of it for a tuyere and use a shop vac to blow it.   I once had to fold some 3/8" plate to make a fire tray for the Santa Maria replica in Columbus Ohio.  Built a trench forge in my inner city yard and did the folding around some RR Rail clamped to the 4x4" uprights for a shop extension I was working on.

Thanks - Good feedback. Like I said about the bigger anvil - that’s what gets in the way of being able to keep the work moving some times. I only wanted to go through putting a huge heavy stump 2 feet in the ground once so there’s no space under the horns. I use the extra bolt in the stump next to the one holding the plate as bending forks sometimes but again just not enough space. Hoping to get upgrade soon though. And yeah that little vise broke on the first hammer blow haha

229B9DF8-3F4C-456A-A284-53CFC02E45C6.jpeg

That picture put a smile on my face, cute little anvil with a huge stump and some hefty chains. Reminds me of the flatbed truck with the tricycle on it.

Since it FINALY stopped raining and I was able to put some things outside to reorganize my shed I now have a pretty nice workbench

20210326_165451.jpg.4677c7eb5090d4226af8e7425b9214e0.jpg

Next on the list is to make this wall more useful, al the wall shelves are left by the old owner and I want to replace the right one with some racks for my steel (which is now taking up space on my bench).

20210326_165604.jpg.c5a5eb8eb180802b00053069389e3ac6.jpg

Its good to have a wife that loves to cook, I am such a lucky man. One day I will die fat and happy.

20210326_201640.jpg.cf1fdc9bbaf0331b86fc6823d32270a4.jpg

Pat, get some pieces of steel 6 or 8 inches long 1/2" maybe 5/8" round or so bend into "U" shapes. Those can be put into that vice and used for turning forks. The closer or further apart the "tines" of the "U" the different size stock you can use them on. A welder, 2 pieces of angle iron, a couple inches of 1/2" square bar, and a handful of 1/2" drive sockets and you can easily make an adjustable bending jig for your vice also. 

Deimos, no idea what that is but by gum does it look tasty. 

Chimera, Your punch holder looks alright and is quite functional so i would call it a success. 

Yesterday i emptied the garbage can in the shop. 

On 3/26/2021 at 6:48 AM, Pat Masterson said:

And yeah that little vise broke on the first hammer blow haha

You HIT that poor itty bitty thing? :o You brute!

Put some large lag screws in the side or top of your stand at various distances for bending forks. Don't HAMMER them in! :rolleyes:

Poor little vise, what did it ever do to you? Seriously I have larger forceps.

Frosty The Lucky.

More sword work: more grinding on the blade (including adding a fuller), added the runic inscription, and made the pieces for the hilt. Needs some tweaking, but here’s a test fit:

FD590A30-69BC-4488-9D33-C6D044C7E9BF.jpeg

070ADF97-29EF-444D-8BF2-5519E42186D2.jpeg

Here’s a close-up of the inscription:

1C6C8D21-FC30-426F-97E1-2207A3617A97.jpeg

Definitely a good day’s work.