• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think he might be referencing the fact that the Earth is actually an oblate spheroid rather than a sphere. However, I suppose you could also interpret what he said as the Earth not being not round at all, which admittedly does make his comment more entertaining.  

It's also possible that he's referencing the fact that it has been calculated that if the earth actually *were* to become perfectly round, it would make a loud, sustained noise -- somewhere between a clang and a boom -- within 24 hours.

While this may seem obscure, this is the origin of the phrase "Sphere today, gong tomorrow."

Well it's not, it's an oblate spheroid ---which makes going  "down south" inaccurate if you are in the northern hemisphere and using the center of the earth as the reference point...

What a reference to the Goon Show, how abstruse you silly twisted lad!

Normally I'd have a sappy comeback just roll off my fingers onto the keys but at the moment I sit in stunned shock. Canada gave the American curling team a humiliating drubbing at the World Championships. 10 - 1. You expect the Canadian team to be good but holy moly our team took the gold medal at the last Olympics and just got their heads handed to them! If they hadn't had hammer in the last end the score would've been 15 - 0. 

I'm inconsolable, I'm going to drown my sorrow in a cup of Wilkins coffee. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. Frost  sir,

Curling is a late arrival in these United States.

(it has been a winter fixture in Canada and Scotland for many years.

So  we have been playing catch-up and making a good job of it if I say so myself.

Hang in there and only make judicious bets.

SLAG

Those are beautiful oven doors! Well done.

Of course I wasn't thinking victory was on ice, not against Canada but I expected it to be a LITTLE closer. We all but got brushed off the sheet!

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Billy; you want to keep the cork from drying out and shrinking and letting air in to turn the wine to vinegar.  It's a nice conceit to assume folks are drinking upscale wines with real corks instead of twist off caps...

You mean wine comes in bottles?

No worries, the pinky rule applies there too. However, in that case, proper etiquette demands a minimum of two gulps separated by a tasteful comment on the complex flavor notes present.

Swirling the bottle and checking its aroma is optional, but can be beneficial if you pretend to smell something pleasant that no one else does.

Messrs. Harris and Powers,

Twist-top wine bottle closures, do not suffer from cork taint.

Cork closures do.

SLAG.

Diethyl mercaptan is the main mal-odorous component of skunk spray,  together with other mercaptan chemicals.

Mr. Frazer I'm beginning to appreciate your sense of style. Pinkie finger and all.

Frankly I have have always considered wine to be nothing more than spoiled grape juice.  The more odd the spoilage, the higher the price tag.  The last time I tried a nice glass of red I felt like I had been licking the inside of latex surgical gloves.  Latex with hints of talcum.

Beer, however, is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy