• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the scrapyard Saturday, 78# out, most of it being the chunk with the 1 1/8" sq holes I posted a picture in "It followed me home"  Sat afternoon I did the last head for my coat rack; they are getting faster and easier and I'm still experimenting with them.  

Sunday I finished off the body of the hook  Tapering the 1/2" sq stock, twisting it and rolling it into a spiral and flattening a section for the screws. I also took a tumble in the shop and really enjoyed the soft sand floor.  If it had been concrete I'd probably had to go to the ER.

Now SWMBO has to choose 5 of the 6 ones I have done for the coat rack and I will finish them and mount them on the oak board and on the wall near the back door.

JHCC, yes please what do the runes say? The ones i know dont seem to work. I get "KIKKELS SUIRT". But there are many many different styles of runes so i am provably using the wrong translation. 

Nice sword though.

So a little research i found the word "Kikkeli" in Finnish, i can not give a translation for fear of being banned, lets just say men have one. So i am pretty sure that is off, i do not think you would put that on a friends blade. 

2 hours ago, BillyBones said:

JHCC, yes please what do the runes say?

"Mikkals sverd" (Michael's sword); the runes are Long Branch Younger Futhark. Michael is the husband of an old high school friend of mine and my wife's, and this is to be presented to him later in April to celebrate the end of his chemotherapy.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

If it was a traditional pattern welded one you could inscribe it "worm tongue"!

It's currently sitting in a vinegar bath to bring out the grain of the wrought iron. Looking good so far!

Some blacksmithing firsts for me today! A friend came over to strike and help me with some stuff, so that was my first time working with a striker! went pretty alright, some mishits but we made sure to work slow to get the basics under control. swapped my anvil with a railroad track, to prevent damage to both the anvil and us. 

we made an hammer eye drift, and started working on a hot cut. first time punching a hammer/top tool eye as well, it went great, the eye is straight and true.

IMG_20210329_164240.thumb.jpg.459effef5316a06aaf9806d4131b5f2c.jpgIMG_20210329_164228.thumb.jpg.7971d7b04b0f85dad9293fb6f777c374.jpg

I got a dinner triangle done this weekend. No bracket or ringer yet. Also attempted to make a drift for a rr spike tomahawk. It didn’t go very well lol. Not sure what type of steel this giant nail looking thing that I made it from is. I’m guessing just mild but I didn’t bother with any heat treat. It technically worked but not as planned. I don’t think it was thick enough at the top but I think I can clean up the eye with filing to make it work. But at least now if I ever need to butter an enormous piece of bread I have giant butter knife looking thing to do it with. I’m having trouble getting the blade end to spread in the right direction though. It keeps wanting to spread even in both directions when I want it to go more in the downward direction to get that bearded look. 

C9982923-5386-49F1-8055-082FE44F1B18.jpeg

B962B702-2203-4061-9046-3F679460E835.jpeg

0B12234B-A4D9-4317-BFED-6C2C8620D50B.jpeg

F0742711-93F3-4ACC-B503-02C8E249F760.jpeg

64D3DF7C-9908-443D-BF0F-5EB229EB2842.jpeg

Use the horn as a fuller for a directional draw your axe blade. Lay it so the area you want to spread in one direction is across the horn. A beard would want the edge or pol of the axe pointed lengthwise to the anvil. 

Remember the horn's tapered so it will draw more where it's narrower. If it's a problem turn the work around and the taper will cancel out. 

You ca use a cross pein but unless it has a wide radius it can make impressions that are hard to clean up.

Make sense? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Saturday I had a bit of time.  Still trying to find the ideal hammer to drive the metal into the leaf jig.  A big ball peen is good but a rounding hammer seems a little better.  I have two other jigs.  One is a for a different leaf and the other is really a feather.  

1A14AD6A-AA51-41DA-8D27-10CC33A30FE1.jpeg

We had some strong wind gusts last night that were beating up my fence again. While at the anvil practicing for a project, I looked up to see a middle section of the fence swaying waaay too much in and out of the yard. It had broken at the base, just like the last section I had to fix.

I saved this one before it fell flat by quickly forging a support bracket for its base. I grabbed a 2 1/2' piece of scrap leaf spring, drifted a hole at each end and bent it at 90*; the long end ran up the broken post and was lagged in, the short end was staked into the ground. I used the double-stake base of a scrapped shepherd's hook, driven through the bottom hole of the spring to stake it down. 

It holds stronger than before, that's for sure, but a temporary fix no doubt. I will probably have to do the same to the other side as well... what a good way to introduce this hobby of mine to the new neighbors! The rest of the fence seems nice and sturdy, but it is probably time to replace that old thing :wacko:

Quiet day today, at least for the forge. After attending lectures till 3, I fixed an issue with my forge blower, as the leather band was too tight and warped the blower's axle, it's all fixed now with no damage to the blower. A package arrived today with new leather, so I can start crafting some things with that as well. 

I made a spring fuller first one I have made, My welding is getting a little better. I started TIG welding the round stock on the front and then ran out of argon so had to stick weld the rest and I am not very good at stick welding. 

Fuller.jpg

I was off work today due to an unfortunate injury to the bottom of my foot Sunday night that involved my girlfriend's dog's deer antler that was in a dark hallway with a tine pointing up.  Anyway I went over to my shop that has power and did since finish work on a couple blades.  I'm happy with them.  I'm debating doing anything else with the razor or leaving it as is.  Just have to sharpen them. 

KMD, no one judges stick welds unless you're doing them all the time. 

20210330_171200.jpg

Chad 2 questions, what is the blue stuff for that handle? And, does antler hurt as bad as a lego found in the wee morning hours on the way to the bathroom? 

My mom used to have this cat that would leave small squishy "gifts" in the floor at night. She would do it at least 3 or 4 times a week in the exact spot my dad was going to step. I cant count how many times i heard my dad cussin on his way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. 

The handle is a 2 part acrylic or epoxy.  I have a friend who turns pens that showed me how to make it and we mixed a batch up.  

The antler hurt like crazy,  it pierced the bottom of my foot.  They can't stitch it for fear of infection and I walk 6 or so miles a day at work.

I got to heat up the forge Sunday. Mom gave me a 6 inch x 1/2 inch steel rod. I Made it into a knife. Put a new tang on my roughing chisel. Also increased the bend in the u channel to make a better cutting chisel.  Made a 3/4 x 1 inch chunk of mild steel into a fork.  And took a small piece of scrap steel into a kindling wedge. 

WAs putting a handle on the knife and split my pinky finger. Bled everywhere. But that's the price you pay to be a blacksmith after 7 strokes. Going to get hurt a LOT.  Still though, gotta do something and I've turned all my wood. 

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Ahh Lego; the caltrops of childhood!

HAH! Remember jacks? Sure legos hurt, plenty but you can imbed a jack in bone. 

All I have to worry about is stepping on my weiner . . . dog and they get out of your way unless you surprise them.

Frosty The Lucky.

One of Benjamin and Lola's chew toys is this hard plastic thing that has been gnawed down to an almost perfect sphere with a point coming out of one side. If you step on it in the night and you're lucky, it will only roll your ankle. If you're unlucky, it will jab you in the sole of the foot and THEN roll your ankle.

Lovely work, alexandr!