I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

However, if the hangers had hands and the feet had . . . feet

Funny you say that. Sounds more Alice in Wonderland, or something than alien. 

I've actually got the hookah smoking catapillar in the works, hopefully to look more like the more recent adaptation. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds cooler than a Fairbanks winter! Working hookah? It'd be very cool to sit around smoking the hookah with the caterpillar. If it's going to be on a mushroom you could make it an Amanita Muscaria and the white spots could be bean bag chairs so folk could be comfy while they smoke. 

Uh, I might be getting too into visualizing this. Enjoying what the voices in my head are suggesting though. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, Frosty, It isnt going to be That big. If only lol. At most the catapillar will be 12-16" at best. No functioning hookah. I have had hookah smoking friends but it wasn't really my thing. If it were my spirit animal it would probably be a cigarette smoking, beer drinking opossum or something lol. 

Note that if you were using A-36 it can sometimes be a pain to get to weld due to it's composition being variable.  Also sometimes grinding the surfaces you wish to weld can help.

I was welding barbwire today; small wire, VERY rusty!   Even with wire brushing the ends it took several goes to get it to stick.  I was working on a basket from barbwire; going to spray paint them silver and give them to my kids as Christmas tree ornaments. I've already told them I was giving them rusty barbwire for Christmas!  (I watch out at the scrapyard for barbwire old enough to have NO GALVANIZATION, yet still be intact enough to work with. Found some Saturday!)

I finished off the next Chandelier, cold tweaking and then hot waxing. I hope to get photos tomorrow if there is enough light.

I met an old cable tool driller at the scrapyard; he's retiring and selling everything off.  Invited me over to look at what he had to sell and we socially distant and masked traded stores about working in the oil patch. He told me he used to forge cable tool bits by hand back when he was young---sledge hammer work!  He also told me that a friend was trying to give him a powerhammer they used to work on cable tool drill bits---handles 8" thick steel!  I'd like to see if it's a custom rig or just a huge commercial powerhammer.

He has a chunk of steel that would make new dies for my 25# LG; may buy it after next month's allowance shows up. This month's went to buy grinding belts.

Hmmm, at 12-16" it could BE the hookah, you could invite your old friends over to take a drag off one of the legs. It could turn into a marketable item, Das's new model Hookahpillar. Think of the fame and fortune, I could brag about knowing you back when. 

I'd insert an imaginative and entertaining story about my sprit animal but I don't know what it is. Something mammalian or at least avian I hope. I'm too old to go on a spirit quest though, unless it's to the local Knik Kountry Liquor for a bottle of single malt. 

Maybe my spirit animal's name is Peat? 

Guess I'll have to google a spirit animal hotline and find out.

I'd have to pass on hitting the hookah anyway, I quit smoking after the accident. 

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Are you scarfing the end you're folding over? I

10 hours ago, Dewnmoutain said:

my last attempt at forge welding

Mark Aspery also has an excellent video titled "Scarf Theory" if memory serves me correctly. 

Pnut

On Saturday I helped a friend replace a garage door. The old door was cedar wood so I took that home; it will make good tinder for charcoal, or even charcoal itself. A softwood of course, but I bet it would work just fine. He also let me keep the old coil springs: two 1/4" coils at about 24" long. I'll take it. 

Made a bending jig out of a big piece of pipe i found in the barn. Was going to put a hardy shank on it but the bottom bar seems to hold in the vice purty decent so i think that is how i will use it. A piece of 1/2" square bar to hold a socket so that i can bend different size stock with it. 

20201121_194220.thumb.jpg.2731ab28b590857bebd2d6e8234313a4.jpg

This weekend I got to make stuff.  Saturday it was rainy and nasty out so I spent some time rewiring and completing a bench power supply dad was working on before he passed.  It's based on a small PC power supply.  He isolated the different voltage circuits coming out from it.  He mounted everything in the case from one of those old travelling martini bars.  The ones that had a small shaker, a bottle of gin, measuring jigger and a slot of a small jar of olives B).  He also hooked in a small multimeter, and had plans to mount a car cigarette lighter and some USB charging ports.  I got everything hooked up, mounted, and tidied up, and it all seems to work.

Sunday it was nice enough out and so I got to play with fire.  I got the air supply problems sorted  and was able to get the fire very hot without chewing through tons of charcoal.  I made a couple of brackets for a gate bar and I made a hook to hold a closet door closed.   I experimented with a punch to make holes.  I played around with some other chunks of scrap to see how each heated.   looks pretty rough and simple, but I'm learning and trying to figure out what kind of hammer works best for me.  Pretty clear I need to practice hammer control.  I read somewhere on here to get a bunch of nails and just practice knocking them into a hunk of wood.  Baby steps indeed.

IMG_20201122_144250.jpg

IMG_20201123_101931.jpg

get a bunch of nails and just practice knocking them into a hunk of wood. 

No, just practice that will come in handy when you move on to hammering metal. 

While your training your strong hand to aim the hammer to hit nails, switch off and train your off hand to do the same thing.  It will come in handy (pun intended) when you have a lot of hammering to do and your strong hand needs a rest.  You should find both hands work with one better at fine detail than the other.  Just means the off hand needs more practice. (grin)

Mariah finally cleared things up a bit so I was able to try to get some photos with my archaic flip phone----I soundly deny that to text you have to use a wedge shaped reed to make the characters---a quill pen works just as well!

So basket from rusty barbwire---I intend to spray paint them silver to hang on the Christmas tree: Tetanus is a freebie 

barbwirebasket.jpg.e3f4d4f198e3f53fd2c45af799431d5a.jpg

And another 6 LED Votive camping light made from Election Sign!  I've also been working on the tooling to make the candle holders more evenly and easily.  Guess the NEXT one will profit for the 3rd go at tooling, (riveted as I don't have my welder close to a working 220 plug.) Forge welding the basket was the easy part for me.

basketchandelier3.jpg.0fa943d8a4e5e54b011849d81f4a7718.jpg

Man, Frosty, or Peat. If only I had that kind of time to put into things anymore. I'm sure someone who blows glass could do better. I'm lucky to get much of anything done anymore with two young kids and adding more to the idea can kill it all together lately. Just going to be a sculpture and it'll be lucky if it has a hookah. Lol. Sorry, just the way it's been. Maybe once the girls get older I can play again. Maybe Maybe lol. Ugh. The life of an artist with a wife and kids and a day job supporting all. Give you one guess who all wins and who doesn't. Maybe one day. Wouldn't trade my girls for the world. 

Das; back in the early 1980's I spent a year apprenticed to a swordmaker and planned to become a knifemaker.  Well at the end of that year I got married to someone with 2 kids by a previous marriage and had to get a "real job" as the starting years of a custom knifemaker are usually pretty slim.  We started working on our own kids as well; as my new wife was 37 and so not a lot of time to accomplish what we had planned. (Second and last child was when she was 43. Then I made sure no unexpected surprises would occur.)

Sometimes I have fond regrets at the way my life took a detour; but it seems like I have had more detours that straightaways and I wouldn't trade what I had/have for *anything*.  My boss at Lucent one told me "Family First!" a job will always be there.

(I don't know about "spirit animals" but it has been suggested that I might be a "were blind naked mole rat" before.)