• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Billy, when folks ask me what size to make one like that I tell them to drag home a large spring pack from the scrapyard and then weld it up to hold pieces the size of the springs in the spring pack---so you have a lifetime supply of die material all sized the same!

Alexander; you do so much work at such a high level; I just have to ask---what's your favorite thing to make?

On 11/11/2020 at 3:19 AM, MacLeod said:

Nice looking hammer! What stock did you start off with?

Thanks, started off with 40mm by 50mm recycled forklift toe, maybe 90mm long. cant remember exactly though those numbers might be a bit off. The hammer weighs 2 1/2 lb 

I got back at the forge for the first time in a long time this week. Trying to spend a little time forging each day. Today, I made two halves out of a hammer! :D In all seriousness, nothing worth writing home about yet. Just getting the feel back.IMG_20201111_095109.jpg.654c419ec5b390655893a8120380a889.jpg

John, interesting to see it's use. Didn't know anything about that till now haha.

Twigg, rehandle it and keep going. 

It is funny to me how after a handle is replaced the hammer just never feels the same and you have to get used to it all over again. 

HondoWalker, there are some helpful threads on forge welding info. I might suspect it may be the type of metal in a socket extension being a more difficult alloy to forge weld or the process you used being the issue. 

Try on some regular mild steel till you get the hang of it. Trying on different unknown scrap steels will be inconsistent since even for the socket extensions, one maker might use a different alloy than another. 

I was informed I was to make a wedding gift. Little more cleanup and engraving names and a date tonight inbetween doing balljoints and wheel bearings on my dads truck.

20201112_095922.thumb.jpg.d38456a4df0a49f5c915b98fd4f25738.jpg

It's nice to have a lot of die stock on hand so you can play around with different ideas, Next is to have a dedicated wooden or metal box to store the dies in, preferable with the working sections up and a piece of cardboard between each set. (I like Cheerios boxes as I seem to have a stack of them in the smithy for various tasks.)

When you make a set of dies, drill a hole in each so you can wire them together as a matching set. 

That is not to say you can not mix a set of dies for a special purpose, just that it saves a lot of hunting and searching if the dies are just put into a common box.

20 hours ago, twigg said:

I got back at the forge for the first time in a long time this week. Trying to spend a little time forging each day. Today, I made two halves out of a hammer! :D In all seriousness, nothing worth writing home about yet. Just getting the feel back.IMG_20201111_095109.jpg.654c419ec5b390655893a8120380a889.jpg

I like your rail anvil set up!

On 11/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, Jonnytait said:

40mm by 50mm recycled forklift toe,

It looks great. I snapped a bale spike in July, and am tempted to make a hammer out of a but when I get a chance.  What’s the fishing like up there the now?

daswolf, you can go from one extreme to the other no problem, from fixing the truck to these delicate hearts. Well done, great lines and symmetry. :)

Thanks MacLeod. It's all out of necessity lol. My dad needs his truck and the wedding is tomorrow evening. With a full time job and kids to help with and enjoy time with after work, other work gets done in the evenings. Sometimes late nights if I have the energy. Late notices always make life interesting and diverse. 

A little off subject, well no a lot off subject, but when i was in Iraq we got a shipment of single serve Cheerios and a couple pallets of banana milk (not from them, just flavored) When you have been in a tank for 6 months eating MRE's that was a very tasty treat.  

58 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

couple pallets of banana milk

omg... i remember that stuff. I couldn't stand it at all, especially at 100 degrees. I'd trade it to the Iraqi kids at the ECP for Miami cigarettes. :D

That or just throw it to them when out on a recovery mission. I was an 88M20, so alot of convoys, and recovery missions.

Some MRE's are pretty good. Mainly the vegetarian ones believe it or not but the beef stew was the same as dinty moore. We had most of a truck load confiscated from my family's surplus store outside of FT. Campbell. Turns out they were stolen. They throw them away after coming back from the field but it's still a no no. 

Pnut

Thanks John.

I thought after the fact that it would have been great to put a candle holder behind the heart, or even a picture holder, but alas I am out of time and had too much on my mind while making it. Next one will get a candle stick holder. 

I like the candle holder idea, and three versions immediately spring to mind:

Candle in the middle of the base:

78D3BED7-62DB-4F68-A346-D805FB7CFE65.jpeg

Candle in the middle of the heart:

664CAE31-AF4B-4B01-B16B-55838E4DE574.jpeg

Unity candle version (can be used during the service, if that's their thing):

827E5F2C-0AD8-42F6-B729-13974974A699.jpeg

(Apologies for the bad drawings.)