• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks MacLeod. Feel free to use the idea. My version is just made from someone elses. Would love to see yours.  I've seen a lot of different takes on the horse shoe Christmas tree. They are all nice. I wanted to make something to be smaller than the full shoe trees for more variety of display options. I left this one on the table for my better half to see this morning and now I need to make more. Lol

25 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

now I need to make more. Lol

:Dsee! It looks good, much nicer than the full horseshoe ones.  I’ll throw a pile of rusty shoes into the cement mixer tomorrow and get cracking! Thanks Das.

Oh happy thanksgiving to you fellas over there!

Haha yeah, it happens often. I tried hiding the sunflower inbetween working on it and had the flower head painted, she came up to the shop to tell me something and spotted it right away among my cluttered junk. She asked if I was making it for the upcoming show and I told her I had figured when she saw it she would want to keep it. (She loves sunflowers) Money is tight so she told me to take it to see if it sells. Deal is if I don't sell it she gets it and if it does sell I make her another. I already need to make more anyway lol. 

Thanks, We had a good Thanksgiving day and feast with my family. Amazingly no serious arguements happened haha. 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:17 PM, BsnNFrnt said:

7/8 sucker rod claw hammers

Nice. Difficult? I’ve thought about making one for my cousin who is a carpenter.

I didn’t get near my Christmas :(tree today

a dragon to go behind a two bottle whisky display and the beginnings of a rams head door knocker.  I had to make a new eye punch as it was heavier stock than the fire side tools I usually make. It got shorter with each test until I was happy with it:rolleyes:

720E4D56-32A3-4DC7-B5D0-B7E2D5D7E1F4.jpeg

62DEF0EB-45B9-4304-B690-9F542F3F9901.jpeg

This morning I did the forge welding on 3 barbwire basket Icicles, A bit tricky as the wire is so small, and old and corroded. Luckily I still have some beautiful Sewell seam coal to weld with.  Unfortunately I can only work on one at a time as a second would burn up while I was hammering on the first.  After the fire got hot it was about 12  turns of my Buffalo 210 hand crank to get to welding for each end.  I did find that wire brushing the ends with a powered wire brush did not work as well as an overnight soak in vinegar and then a rinse in snow water.  This afternoon I hope to fire up the gasser and do the twist/untwist on the baskets and forge the hook one one end and maybe work out how to do barbwire star Christmas tree ornaments---should be a lot less finicky!

Yesterday it was cold and rainy and I stayed indoors and fed the woodstove and spent time on the couch reading with my wife. (Her:  A Night in the Lonesome October; Me: 1636 Seas of Fortune.)

Thanks BsnNFrnt! You haven’t seen all the dragons that went before though! :unsure: 

Thanks for the inspiration, im thinking I’m going to try a miniature claw hammer from coil spring:) that’ll avoid the difficultly of the drifts. 

I'll see if I can get a friend to post a decent picture when they are finished; I plan to paint them silver.

Still to do: twist and untwist the baskets; forge the hanging hooks, wire brush and boil in water (to remove any borax still present, let dry and paint.

You can make your own if you have access to rusty barbwire and are good at forge welding small stuff: Take 4 pieces---I cut them so a barb is in the middle of the length and twist this old wire a bit tighter, cold; soak in vinegar overnight and rinse.  Forge weld the two ends and draw out and round the welds to make nice points, one to be the bottom and one to be the top with a hanging hook forged in. (Or a loop for a ribbon or wire ornament hanger.) Twist and untwist the basket, forge the hook and finish.

Now "why rusty barbwire?"  I don't put galvanized metal in my forge!  Besides which I like telling folks that I'm giving rusty barbwire to my kids for Christmas!  (Of course it's sterile rusty barbwire---even prions don't handle forging temps!)

"why rusty barbwire?

well Thomas just so happens I’m removed old livestock fencing from my sisters house next week and putting up new. If I could prevent one metre of the barbed wire going into landfill I’d be happy. I look forward to seeing it:)

As we are in ranching country you also see things done cold with it like barbwire wreaths for the door.  The stuff I'm using is quite old: two twisted strands with flat barbs wrapped around one of the strands.  I may have to pick up more at the scrapyard. I like to find it in reasonably straight and short lengths---like 20'.

"New Mexico has an "open range" law. That means if you live near cattle, sheep or other livestock and do not want them on your property it is your responsibility to keep them off through lawful means. It also means livestock are free to roam wherever, including on roadways"...

Deer is an issue most places I've lived; if you call it in to fish and game you usually got permission to butcher it---help offset the damage to the vehicle!  Out here we have Elk; they are tall enough to go over the hood and come in the window and take out the driver.

The big pickups have our version of a Roo Guard for deer and cattle.

Just because I'm not in Australia I can't know what a Ute or a Roo Guard or a Tinnie is?   

Come over and visit some time and I will explain the Official State Question of New Mexico: Red or Green?  (Or Christmas!)

IronDragon; why were they chasing a deer at 110 mph?  A 30-06 does just as well and probably is more controllable.

Moose are our most common road kill-er. Even a 4x4 pickup tends to cut their legs out from under them and they do a fast roll up the hood and through the windshield. We call front end moose armor, "Moose Goosers." About the only thing you see them on anymore are semi tractors and even then they tend to take the vehicle out too. A moose gooser isn't much if any use on anything smaller, 4x4 trucks tall enough they don't go over the hood usually end up with bent frames.

I knew a guy who went under one in a Mazda Miata and managed to steer between the legs. Took the convertible top off but he drove home without a scratch. The pickup behind in the next lane wasn't so lucky but wasn't too badly injured. Made the papers. I remember because he was a friend and that's something to celebrate.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Come over and visit some time and I will explain the Official State Question of New Mexico: Red or Green?  (Or Christmas!)

I miss Hatch Chile.  Christmas on the enchiladas please.

Next weekend I'll be making some Green Chile Stew.  I attempted a green chile turkey soup with the leftovers from Thanksgiving, but it didn't turn out like I wanted.  I forgot Cilantro, and didn't add enough Green Chile. 

For those who were not blessed enough to live in the Land of Enchantment, Chile is not the meat based thing associated with Cowboys.  It's a wonderful Chile Pepper with an amazing balance of heat and flavor.  And the stuff grown in Colorado is NOT real green chile!!!!