I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

22 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Just over 7#, (0-0-7 for you old smiths) at 14", told them that was under the limit and should be thrown back but the wife and daughter insisted we keep her.

Congrats! I'm a fisherman myself, and sometimes you gotta take what you can get. And in this case, it might be better than a 40#, 32"er...

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first daughter was positively Napoleonic: weighed 9 pounds even.  Lets just say that it was a while before my wife decided to have our second planned child; especially as her Doctor kept telling her that babies tended to get bigger as you got older...

PSO: we had our second Daughter when my wife was 43 as per our plans and then we made sure there would be no surprises!   Don't assume childbearing is over until you KNOW it's over!

2 hours ago, Frazer said:

don't get me started on finding chipmunks

Axle is a chipmunk hunter, every once in a while he catches one and brings it home. Yesterday he came running up with one in his mouth and dropped it on the deck. Then looked up at me to say "I brought you a present". I have a place I put them out of his territory so another critter, hawk, owl or coyote will have an easy snack. This morning it was frozen chipmunk.

It's funny when pets find a new "toy" and want to share it, all proud of themselves. I have one cat who does that, and another that runs away with it and hides and then will growl at me if I get too close...  It's tough to be a rodent. Everyone wants to eat you.

Except people.... Well, except most people..

Back in NJ we used to get the cutest little white footed deer mice jumping into the trashcan we stored bird feed in and not being able to jump out.  My Mother would catch them and take them to the local wildlife center to feed the snakes and raptors---she grew up on a farm!

A chipciclemunk? They're actually omnivores, rodents aren't choosy even if they have a preference. Years before moving to Alaska Dad and I had some favorite fishing streams and sometimes lost a trout from the stringer. I turned around to string another and motion caught my eye, a red squirrel was about head high on the tree behind me with my trout in it's mouth. 

I used to trap mice in the barn with a bucket of water and a smear of peanut butter. Enough water they can't touch bottom and jump and far enough from the top they can't reach. A couple drops of dish detergent breaks the surface tension that prevents their fur from becoming saturated. A smear of peanut butter far enough down the inside of the bucket they have to really stretch. They fall in can't float or jump out and drown. 

The barn cat did a great job until she disappeared. <sigh>

You've never eaten rabbit Frazer? You're missing some good eats! Where's my Hausenpfeffer?!:angry:

Sir Isaac Newton ate mice, spit roasted at his hearth. It was the norm of the day and a decent method of pest control. Is it a pest if it's dinner?

Frosty The Lucky.

I have not eaten a rabbit, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Except the one that lives in my backyard somewhere, I give him part of my apple everyday he shows up. It might be a different rabbit every time, but I prefer to think it's the same one.

I think it's dinner so long as it is bares the proper title... Pest-o comes to mind, a fine and versatile addition to any meal. 

In fetching the Christmas ornaments from the basement I found a couple of presents from our outdoor cat, Gabby.  We now have fewer birds chattering outside our window in the morning.  Unfortunately they are in no fit state to do anything with except tossing them in the trash bin.  They tend to be missing...bits....

everyone talking bout their cat bringing in animals, my new dog was very happily playing with part of a decomposing bird. And he would not let go of what was left of the head....

The "older one" just barks at them, its his garden and he want them gone from the ground, gutter and air.

The zoos feed their snakes rat-cicles. In other words frozen rats.

Live rats are a potential mortal threat to all snakes.

If the snakes are not hungry they do not bother with the rats.  Hunting is instinctual to snakes. The urge to hunt and kill is only triggered by hunger.

Unmolested rats will bite and kill the snakes. The snakes do not seem to understand that rats are a mortal threat, they just laze around and get chomped. (to death).

SLAG.

I first got that information talking to the keepers at the Granby Zoo an hour out of Montreal.

They have one of the biggest serpent collections in the World.

That's what I fed my pet snake, only much smaller than they use in the zoo I'll wager. Yep, a thawed out, slightly warm, former mousicle every week or two right up until he escaped and was never seen again.. For not having any legs they are rather skilled escape artists.

I then replaced that snake with one I found in the back yard. Imagine how excited my dad was to come home and find the tank FULL of baby snakes... Needless to say I wasn't allowed to have pet snakes anymore...

Mr. IDFC,

I have read in our collection of cat books, that cats will catch rodents and other prey, and present them to us, because they think that our hunting skills are not up to snuff. And they just want to help. They love us and are willing to share.

SLAG.

Mind if I ask how in the world you didn't notice the eggs???? As a kid I was the animal guy... I had probably 5 fish tanks, a few lizards, maybe a couple frogs... they drew the line at snakes. My friend (owner of Smaug, RIP) had to stop because he ran out of outlets in his room, the kitchen, the basement, and the family room.

4 minutes ago, SLAG said:

They love us and are willing to share.

I have a different theory. Cats are demon spawn brought from the depths of mordor to eliminate the human race through any means necessary. Including poisoning. ;) Cats aren't my favorite. I do, however, respect that that may be different for others. Unless, of course, they actually have a demon cat and still think that mr floofers is an angel... then I have no respect in that sense. Granted, it can go the other way. My aunt had a morky, maltese yorky. I do not like little dogs. This little dog, Zeke, was the most psychotic creature I've seen in my life. He would bark for multiple hours after someone came into the house, would roll his eyes back in his head and lick and bite the air, and was prone to biting people and Lucy, my childhood dog, who was just the sweetest Labrodoodle. The thing was possessed, I swear.

Garter snakes give birth to live young---no external eggs!

I'm hoping the local barn cats will help cut down on mice in my shop. I was thinking of adding a cat door to the shop wall and then realized that the "dirty shop" was a 20'x30' expanse of sand/gravel/clay in a nicely shielded dry location---can you say "cat box"?  So they don't get to go in.

I guess that an ovoviviparous specimen wouldn't be as obvious as a gravid one. THough, on that note, even mammals can hide it... we had a pet rabbit, came home and saw it laying in a pool of blood with its "entrails" on the ground next to it. Turns out, baby bunnies look a lot like entrails...

Baby bunnies are like wings, a quick sweep of a torch, breaded and deep fried. No need too clean em if they're brand new. Mmmmmmm.

Cats can be a problem for folks who THINK they own them. Dogs have owners, Cats have staff. It takes a different approach to train cats as much as they can be trained. Our 14 yro downstairs cat, Damascus will: come when called, knows no and leave it and a few other commands less well. The upstairs cat is a "tamed" feral who was just too wild to be rehomed with the last litter born in the hay stack in the barn. He lives upstairs and while not unfriendly prefers you leave him alone. Unless he's making an utter pest of himself demanding attention. 

The dachshunds and cats get along fine, we don't allow otherwise. Ronnie the new girl and Damascus play often and loudly. Qiviut the upstairs cat tolerates her but when she can't resist he applies a fully armed swat and she remembers to leave him be. 

I tend to like animals in general, some I wouldn't own on a bet: primates are very dangerous, venomous snakes and insects are out, fish are cool but too much work. I guess that leaves cats and dogs though I sure miss the pygmy goats barn chores and all, they were worth it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Our youngest Dachshund does not know what to do with cats, he sees them like everything else : eat/play/nibble thingies

the older grumpy one hates them, even more then he hates birds, getting dried off, releasing his toy and when his new brother stands on his head.

No reason why he hates them, from the first time he saw one, he wanted to turn it inside out. (but he will run when he sees a chicken...)

Well, large primates are dangerous, most people are dangerous to small primates... while yes, a pygmy marmoset looks cool, what percentage of owners actually know what they're doing? Now, what about scorpions? I'm guessing those fall under insect, but they're pretty cool. And nonvenomous snakes! A nice milk snake... and if you ever do want fish, you just need a 10 gal, male endler's livebearers. Basically more active, smaller, cuter guppies. Also, IDK what you got in Alaska, but in OH we have grey tree frogs that you can keep in a 10 gal and you don't ever have to clean it. Just spray em with some water daily, give em a couple crickets every couple days... I've got one called napoleon. Cute little guy.

8 minutes ago, Deimos said:

(but he will run when he sees a chicken...)

I mean, chickens are scary, man! They bite hard!

I'm guessing y'all are too cool for something for losers like this, but anyone had experience with "rapid tongs"? They're waterjet cut or plasma cut tong blanks that you finish up... only about $10 a pair, seem nice and simple but fun... I could use some tongs. Right now I'm trying to use farrier's nippers, and those just aren't right.