Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Ridgewayforge said:

How much does that weigh? What stock size did you start with? 

The first one with the flattened scrolls was a full 12" of 3/16 round. They do not weigh much, ill see if i have a small scale to weigh them. 

Unfortunately I did not measure the stock for the flower it was made from 1/2 square, i just drew out 14" of 3/16ish round out of it.   Probably about 5" of 1/2 square. 

Both my wife and daughter have extremely thick hair so i wasn't to concerted with weight.   They are quite light though. 

16 hours ago, Lou L said:

The hair pin is such a great idea and well done.  My daughter needs this!  Well, that's what I'm telling my wife as I slip into the shop.

Thank you!! I had a great time making it. Post some pics when you get it done. Think i may try the same excuse, worked last time lol!!

20170710_223722.jpg

Better pic of it, my wife actually brushes her hair lol!! 

20170713_012824.jpg

That's nice! I like the simple ideas like that and they seem to sell well. I imagine the fishing fraternity would like that. The lifting tab looks a bit small, but I guess you have tested it on a beer (or two?).

4 hours ago, ausfire said:

That's nice! I like the simple ideas like that and they seem to sell well. I imagine the fishing fraternity would like that. The lifting tab looks a bit small, but I guess you have tested it on a beer (or two?).

Thanks Ausfire!  I only had a bottle of stout my wife keeps for cooking...which went pfft upon testing.  Uh oh.

Just finished heat treating a knife. Heat treat went well, I used a tube in my coal forge to heat it first time I've done it that way. The blade skates a file and is now tempering in the oven.:D Oh and Zero warp. I'm very happy the way this knife is turning out. Hopefully it will get finished today.

5 hours ago, Dylan Sawicki said:

Just finished heat treating a knife. Heat treat went well, I used a tube in my coal forge to heat it first time I've done it that way. The blade skates a file and is now tempering in the oven.:D Oh and Zero warp. I'm very happy the way this knife is turning out. Hopefully it will get finished today.

pics or it didn't happen lol

12 hours ago, Daswulf said:

started 4 punches that need final refinement. they will be for eyes and such on forged animal/reptile heads. pics tomorrow when done. Meant to do more but ya know....... family business....

I use a practice tip for bowhunting to do the depression in a eye punch. Grind to the shape you want and the sholder holds it up in the vice well. 

Made some parts to a wine rack ive been storing in my head for some time.  Ended up stopping at 11 grape leaves as i had worn a decent spot thin on my hamer hand. Havent had a blister in many years. Getting soft i guess! 

38525.jpeg

Crappie pic but i made one of the 4 bottle holders and the main vine as well. Hope to make the branches and some grapes tomorrow.  What do you guys think? 

20170718_210120.jpg

I broke out the black tape about a hour to late. Didn't help that the only good cross peen (the only one that would texture the way i wanted) is 4lbs.  

I thought id be able to finish that rack today. Def glad im not smithing to make money. Id be pretty skinny. 

Yeah, that's a cr . . . ummy picture alright. How many times do we have to tell you. OBLIQUE LIGHTING! And what's with a shiny steel background? 

Nice looking leaves and bottle holder, I like your bottle racks. Do yourself a favor, keep a piece of clean plywood safe to use as a background for photos. Tan is a nice neutral color to shoot black or silver against and the grain pattern is enough texture to take the mind off the wood. It's not so good if you brush on much brass highlighting, go for green.

Okay, I've had enough fun beating up on you Millhand. I really do like your wine racks and grape vines.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Yeah, that's a cr . . . ummy picture alright. How many times do we have to tell you. OBLIQUE LIGHTING! And what's with a shiny steel background? 

Nice looking leaves and bottle holder, I like your bottle racks. Do yourself a favor, keep a piece of clean plywood safe to use as a background for photos. Tan is a nice neutral color to shoot black or silver against and the grain pattern is enough texture to take the mind off the wood. It's not so good if you brush on much brass highlighting, go for green.

Okay, I've had enough fun beating up on you Millhand. I really do like your wine racks and grape vines.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hahaa, I knew that post was coming. Sorry frosty I literally went out bearfoot and snapped that abortion. Ill do better from now on.  

Thanks frosty, means alot that you dig my work. Tomorrow I'll take a proper picture. :)

Well, the punches turned out ok. Tho my forging tonight was in the toilet. Oh well. Try again another day. The round eye snake punch is larger then the all thread I have for snakes ATM. And I failed at two heart horses I attempted. 

Punces are made from some mystery octagonal stock I got from RT last year. Spark test shows medium to high carbon. Punches held up but my attempts tonight did not. Ugh. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forged a snake out of a round file today.   I thought it may have been brittle especially doing the upsetting for the head,  but the metal worked fairly easily. The texture of the file makes believable snake scales:

DSC_8061.JPG

DSC_8062.JPG

9 hours ago, ausfire said:

Forged a snake out of a round file today.   I thought it may have been brittle especially doing the upsetting for the head,  but the metal worked fairly easily. The texture of the file makes believable snake scales:

That is fantastic!  Your snakes are getting so good that I think a lot of people would mistake them for a live critter at first glance.