• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Thanks guys.

got back around 2:00 today from the doctors. we weighted about an hour to be seen for something that took no more than 10 minutes. he looked at it, put some stuff on to numb it, took a cue tip and got 'er off, and then washed my eye with some stuff that burned like fire. gave me some antibiotic stuff to put in my eye every 4 hours, he said I should be fine.

so that's good news!.....

Good for you LBS!  Lots of folks here on IFI were concerned about you.  Now you won't have to worry about it, and that was probably some of the best hour and 10 minutes of time you'll spend.  

I'm not so much in a gated community as an insular one.  The gravel driveway is 1/4 mile through the cotton fields exposed to the handful of houses built up off the floor of the valley on it's sides.  Folks tend to be standoffish and keep track of people driving into "their" personal space.  Why I can forge at my rental but not teach.  Now the dog is completely black, head to toes, eyes included.  You can't see her in the dark!  I sometimes refer to her as our darling demon doggy.

18 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

got back around 2:00 today from the doctors. we weighted about an hour to be seen for something that took no more than 10 minutes. he looked at it, put some stuff on to numb it, took a cue tip and got 'er off, and then washed my eye with some stuff that burned like fire. gave me some antibiotic stuff to put in my eye every 4 hours, he said I should be fine.

Since it all turned out ok I'll go ahead and recommend a listen to Heywood Banks' song "One eye love" when you get a chance.

I had to take a break from other projects which have been driving me crazy lately and made this little handle for a favorite cup of many southerners. It turned out ok as a first go but will be doing things differently on the next attempt. The wife and son like it so that's a win. :) 

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

if you forge that out of stainless it will be dishwasher safe!

That's a good suggestion. Maybe after I make a few more I'll try with stainless. I thought about doing a baked oil finish on a couple (like seasoning cast iron) to see how that would hold up. The handle is not too difficult to remove for easy cleaning of the glass. I actually used a piece of pipe measuring about 1/8" smaller in diameter than the glass and left it a little loose and it worked out fine.

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

forged stainless has a nice scale finish on it and dishwasher safe is a selling point with "no maintenance" modern folks.

That is a really good point. Now days people want as easy and little matenance as possible with everything they have. 

1 hour ago, Reeltree said:

It looks like a tight fit under the rim,,,how where you able to get it around the rim without chipping

I'll try to remember to take a couple more pictures when I get home showing the handle separate from the glass. There is a spring back on the cold steel that grips it tight but allows you to remove the handle. If you pull straight out it will come off but it's will not go any other direction.

I also rounded the edges some that was going to be contacting the glass to minimize the risk of it scratching and leading to failure of the glass. 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, Michael Cochran said:

I had to take a break from other projects which have been driving me crazy lately and made this little handle for a favorite cup of many southerners. It turned out ok as a first go but will be doing things differently on the next attempt. The wife and son like it so that's a win. :) 

This may be a little stupid question, but how does it go on? I'm thinking about making some, they would sell probably purty good.

Littleblacksmith 

They just slip on, make sure you forge the area that goes around the jar pretty small so it flexes. The type of jar-handle one's one of the first thing that I ever made. I made it to big though and it broke a jar (oops). Right before Michael Cochran posted I actually thought about making a few.

13 hours ago, Reeltree said:

It looks like a tight fit under the rim,,,how where you able to get it around the rim without chipping

2 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

This may be a little stupid question, but how does it go on? I'm thinking about making some, they would sell probably purty good.

Littleblacksmith 

Maybe these pictures will help you out a little. Like I said before it's a slip on friction fit. It doesn't wiggle and has a firm grip but easily pulls loose if you pull it.

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

Nice, Millhand - I've been playing with hair pin ideas in the last couple weeks. too. 

From my part Wednesday went with 60pcs of lucky horseshoes. I sure get lucky if I can sell them all :)

Today's early morning was bottle opener themed. No pictures yet, but hopefully later I get them.