I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

12 hours ago, BillyBones said:

By the way did you realize your socks do not match

Haha yes, I can't remember the last time I wore matching socks. It's somewhat of a free for all when it comes to my sock drawer, I just reach in and grab 2. I have often even found I have put one sock on inside out as well! 

Aus, those snakes are awesome! Very lively!

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you.  I learned years ago I am involved in all dirty things. 

I have bunch of dress clothes that never get worn (thankfully pantyhose are connected).

But for work clothes I buy the same everything. 

All the pants are same color "coffee"  and usually same brand, socks are all black fruit of the loom,  all the shirts are black "Jlp Services Inc"

The largest choice I have in the morning is shoes or boots and makeup or not and underwear which the bra is black, blue or nude. Lol I guess depending on the weather or if the shirt has holes in it from forge welding..lol

Table Legs: I do not like legs that people can catch their pants legs or shoelaces on.

Socks: I have two boxes in the closet: Brown tops and Blue tops and that was how I sorted them.  They are all the same type of hiking socks anyway. (I wear thick socks and heavy leather boots as protection for my diabetic feet.)

Clothing: out here in the west "fancy clothes" means your jeans are clean and there are no holes in you shirt.  Wearing a tie means a bolo tie. And, of course, boots are suitable wear everywhere!   Today at my desk job I'm wearing bluejeans and a John Deer shirt and my German combat boots---of course I work' in the "Geology" department.

Sorry I don't get around to commenting very often, but there sure is a lot of great work being shown. It keeps getting better all the time. 

I have clothes that double as farm work and forge work. Holes from goat chewing, fence snags, forging, etc. And it's the same here like Thomas was saying about fancy is clean jeans and no holes in your shirt. Button down western shirts are really dressy. And a good pair of work and steppin' out boots are essential. I'm not a dress wearing type of gal, but I do like to get gussied up sometimes and actually look girly.

Here's some of my stuff. I don't get to work consistently lately, but I have orders to fill. This is some of it. I have some that don't make the cut, but good practice. Still need finishing. I got an order the other night for 10 spoons and 10 forks and 5 knives. I don't even have a clue what to charge for that much. 

20200302_220408.jpg

Some folks give a discount for larger orders as you can set up and do a bunch at a time.  Others increase the price as they don't want to set up and do a bunch at a time...

A basic rule is: if you have more orders than you want to make; you must be selling them too cheap; or  you need to look into making them easier to make---tally sticks, jigs, dedicated tooling, etc.

Thank you Jasen. I'm still refining and figuring out how I want to do them. The spoon part is still not coming easy. But I am learning more every time. 

Thanks for the advice Thomas. People are seeing them, and I keep getting requests. I didn't expect that to happen. 

Dear CGL,

The way I have generally priced my work is to time myself to see how long it takes me to make something and then multiply by what I think my time is worth given my experience skill, and knowledge as a smith.  For years I have charged about $60/hour and I believe that Jennifer of JPL Services has mentioned charging $100+/hour but she is also a much better smith than I am and is almost certainly faster.  When setting your hourly rate remember that you have an unusual skill that most people do not and that you can do things they cannot.  This justifies an hourly rate higher than you might think.  Consider what skilled crafts people such as mechanics and plumbers charge for their time.  The local plumber we use charges $71/hour.  It took me awhile practicing in front of a mirror to say it with a straight face but I normally charge $150/hour for my time as an attorney which is on the low end for this area.  I justify it by realizing that this represents 3 years of law school and 33 years of experience.  So, do not sell yourself short when figuring what your time is worth.  Don't do a job that only pays you minimum wage.  From what I've seen of your work you are a decent journeyman smith in my opinion.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

alexandr, beautiful as always. 

George N.M., thank you for the advice and kind words. I appreciate it. That's a great perspective. The guy that ordered the big order didn't even ask for a price. He just said make them and I'll pay you for them. 

8 hours ago, ausfire said:

Been running a bit short of mild steel for demos, so resorted to some rebar. I've come to quite like working rebar - it comes in a variety of sizes, different patterns and polishes well. And I still think it makes the best snakes!

Excellent work Ausfire, everything looks very nice! (I also like to use rebar for decorative items...)

Completed two orders for outside fire pokers this weekend. Started out making one for my daughter to go with the fire pit I made her, now have made 7, unfortunately my wife has given half of them away when I show them to her. I keep telling her I have it sold, but "she needs it now for a gift for someone". I tricked her this time and didn't show them to her.:o But it is giving me practice and I feel I'm improving, especially on the forge weld on the end.

Poker1.jpg.46796c9ddb9c98dfa6403bfcf88d7937.jpgPoker2.jpg.dceb5ecfafd442453bcc7ca7d96e48e3.jpgPoker3.jpg.b775bab4eb2c7a116b6ffb523394743c.jpgPoker4.jpg.c8d8320e3211030decda1e6db394c3ca.jpg

DSW, nice job, I especially like the two tone wood handle.

Thanks Les. I like the fire poker. My hats off to you for getting such a long, even twist. Very nice. 

DSW, that's a beautiful chisel. I've been watching your videos. Your forging style is much like mine. Only you're better at it. I usually don't like setting shoulders on the edge of the anvil, but after watching you do it in your toilet paper holder vid, I caught a step I hadn't been doing and my shoulders are coming out much better. Thank you for that. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

DSW, that's a beautiful chisel. I've been watching your videos. Your forging style is much like mine. Only you're better at it. I usually don't like setting shoulders on the edge of the anvil, but after watching you do it in your toilet paper holder vid, I caught a step I hadn't been doing and my shoulders are coming out much better. Thank you for that. 

Thank you very much.
I really appreciate that you're watching my Youtube videos, and I'm sincerely happy that you've managed to find something useful in them. 

My socks are all in a bunch also, but they are all white. During the week i am in my mechanic blues. On the weekends its my old BDU's ( i got about 10 pairs of britches, 1 pair i got in basic training.) Love the cargo pockets, and a T-shirt. Unless it is cold out then it is a waffle stitch. I do have some Sunday go to meeting cloths, jeans and a button up shirt. I own 1 pair of shoes, my work boots. 

3 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

The spoon part is still not coming easy

Cgl, there is a blue print on here about spoon making. I would link it but i am only a yellow belt with my computer-fu. 

Anyway, to many to do individually so great work ya'll. 

Goods and Thomas, thanks for the input. You are both correct. I looked up table legs and paid a little more attention to the foot part. Only a couple had turned up scrolls and none were rounded. I am now thinking maybe Jennifer has already given me an answer and it was something i wanted to try anyway. The blacksmiths diamond. 

Well attempt #3, just turned the scroll for a mounting point and made a tapered scroll flat for the foot. Needs some tweeking, it is just a prototype though, but i think i may like this best of all. Again thoughts, critiques and ideas welcome. 

Was going to do the diamond but i just ran out of time. (old lady yellin about dinner being ready or some such nonsense.)

20200303_190620.thumb.jpg.9ae42b84d44fefa9d4f8cb918db7aff1.jpg