• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys did see the last video right? Well the one before that. 

it's a finial and it is also a great example of precision hammer work.   There are 3 finials or features that showcase a smiths prowess and named kinda after the blacksmith.. 

A blacksmith twist basket and a Blacksmiths Diamond..   :) 

CGL much better. :) 

Chris, there is information just under the view on the YT page that addresses your inquiry.  As well on the thread I posted here on IFI. 

With this said and since you asked.    A blacksmith diamond is both a finial  ( pronounced  Fin A ell)  and as a transition or design element. 

It can be used for anything you want to.    I have used them for handles on pokers, for weights on my forge clinker breakers, for  the balls on the end of maces for push points on the ends of chisels, as a finial on the end of a knife..  Really it's like all the other elements in smithing..  

If you can dream it, then you can build it.. 

19 hours ago, BillyBones said:

(old lady yellin about dinner being ready or some such nonsense.)

Mine is also on my back reminding me to drink water and eat. I tend to only have one meal these days and its usually dinner.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, ThomasPowers said:

A basic rule is: if you have more orders than you want to make; you must be selling them too cheap; or  you need to look into making them easier to make---tally sticks, jigs, dedicated tooling, etc.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:30 PM, George N. M. said:

The way I have generally priced my work is to time myself to see how long it takes me to make something and then multiply by what I think my time is worth given my experience skill, and knowledge as a smith.

Great advice Thomas And George. I will need to make these my business mantras.

i also try to have just one meal a day. Best thing ever, gives your body a break from constantly using all resources to process food. There are studies who show that the Pancreas' Islets of Langerhan can regenerate and start to produce insulin again, if they pancreas gets a break from constant being bombarded with food. 

The multiple meals a day advice from nutritionist is the biggest nonsense we ever had to endure, together with the "food pyramid".

Drink water on the other hand is essential. 

As far as i know anyway ... :) 

Different metabolisms, different bodies. If I just have 1 big meal a day it doesn't go over well. No amount of pop-nutrition advice can change that fact for me. 4-5 small meals keeps my weight, focus, and blood sugar much more on track. The content of the meals is a key aspect, to be sure. I have to be careful, as hypoglycemia can transition to diabetes if one isn't smart about diet and care.

There is no one-size-fits-all 

19 hours ago, CtG said:

There is no one-size-fits-all 

I agree.

For me, I think the ancient hunters who woke up hungry and did not eat until performing athletic feats trying to acquire food method works for me. The content and timing is very important no matter what advice is followed.

20 hours ago, Marc1 said:

Drink water on the other hand is essential. 

This is critical.

Anywho, I made a round leaf for the person supplying me the rail spikes and other railroad stuff. the leaf in the background was a fail. I think I burned it.

A friend came into work to show me her repousse' and chasing bits. 

IMG-5660.jpg

IMG-5661.jpg

IMG-5663.jpg

IMG-5665.jpg

A garage door spring can make an immense number of very subtle variations of tools for repousse.

One of the side effects of being an insulin dependent diabetic is losing the "fun" of eating when wants to instead of being on a tight schedule. 

My spouse is more subtle and has instructed my younger forging friends to watch me when I'm forging to make sure I hydrate and not go too low in blood sugar.

I will usually eat a little something in the morning, nothing big maybe a muffin or biscuit and sausage but my next meal comes around 8:30 at night. My old lady works till 8:30 and it is usually me that gets supper ready, except on Tuesdays and Sundays which are her days off. So i try and have a good hot supper ready for when she gets home. 

My dad is diabetic but his is the type that he dont need to take insulin. He just monitors his sugar level and eats when ever as long as its no sugar or carbs. Fortunately, for me at least, his is from agent orange exposure in Vietnam so it is not hereditary.   

Oh Das, and IDF&C thanks for the input. 

Well no table legs today, need to make me a scroll jig i am a thinking. So i tried the blacksmiths diamond JLP posted the video of. And again Jennifer, thanks for inspiring me to try new things. And everyone else also, you guys make me want to do different stuff and push my ability. If not for yall i would still be doing S hooks and the like. Thanks yall.

20200304_190425.thumb.jpg.c4b3487244e5dadfdbdc9816b2402c4d.jpg

Dear Billy,

If your Dad hasn't applied he is due a disability pension from the VA for exposure to Agent Orange in Viet Nam.  I know, I am in that boat.  I have Type II diabetes, served in Viet Nam, and am considered 50% disabled and receive, IIRC, about $1300/month.  It may even be legitimate because I was in areas which had been sprayed with Agent Orange but my father was a Type II diabetic.  So, it could be genetic, too.  Or, it could be some of each.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Hi Billy,  thanks for the words.. :)  If you don't mind please post your story of the diamond to the thread here on IFI if you don't mind..   Hints and such too if you have any. Your insights are valuable to others..  

That is a nice diamond.. Well done..   Plans for the finial and shank/shaft? 

Billy that is great. It turned out real good. 

Nearly finished with the utensils. I need to season them and that's about it. Hopefully they'll go to their new home tomorrow and I'll get a little coin to put back into the propane tank because I'm running low. The horseshoe half decided it wanted leaf finials and will be a door or cabinet pull of some sort when it gets finished. I just did that one for fun. I don't do that a whole lot anymore. 

20200304_201508.jpg

George, It was the VA that diagnosed my dad as diabetic. Actually both of us are disabled vets. Mine is mental issues, i have PTSD from serving in the ME that causes sever anger issues. No one else in my family has had diabetes, all is heart disease and alcoholism. My dad is retired military so yeah he is getting paid by uncle sam. Me, my issues kept me from being a lifer. The whole reason i started smithing is becuase my therapist said i needed a hobby. :lol:

Jennifer, i posted there before here. As far as plans...not yet i just stuck it on the end of a short piece of 3/8 i had. I can always weld it to a fire poke or something. Mostly just wanted to try it out. The only hint i can think of would be get a swage that fits. I did it all with the side of the anvil and the shaft kept wanting to go wonky. CGL just gave me the idea of maybe drawer pulls;)

CGL, You need to do a video on doing the forks. Those are very clean. I wish mine could be that good. ;)