Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, JHCC said:

"He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed, your reward usually is to do another and harder and better one.” - C. S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy

Or, "no good deed goes unpunished". I've noticed how my shop output has gradually turned into her gift list. Tooling is the only safe bet, so I built this bending fork yesterday. 

RTiFLCC.jpg

On 10/4/2018 at 8:46 AM, Beavers said:

I had a tough time putting the groove in the jaws, and kinda knocked the alignment of them off a little. 

Making easy tongs from flat metal.

Heat up the jaws of the tongs and place the stock you are picking up into the jaws. Whack it with a hammer or stick of wood to bend the jaws to a nice fit against the stock. Keep the rivet and reigns cool so you do not distort them. Straighten as needed and let them cool.

Thanks Arkie. That one is 2.04lbs so I’ll call it a 2 pounder. I’ll probably keep it til someone wants it. 

Thanks Jennifer, that’s quit a compliment. I’ve been playing around with a more refined finish but still handmade look. That’s the look I’m going to stick with for a “production” hammer.  I’ve also been tinkering with my 1045 heat treating and am at a point I’m really happy with how it’s holding up. I’ve lent a few hammers to some farriers I know that are notoriously hard on tools. After a month or two of full time daily use, they’re happy and after hammer inspection I’m happy. The farrier supply in Amarillo put in an order to start carrying hammers today. I guess that makes me a professional?

Nice hammer.

Littleblacksmith 

I’m still at that point. If it does more than pay for the hobby all the better but I want to keep it hobby and fun. Plus, It’s not like the store is going to list my hammers on the website and sell them all the first day. If all goes like I think or hope it will, I’ll only be making a hammer or two a month to restock. It might not even be that often though. 

Thanks Al

Thanks Das, you’re exactly right. For the most part I’ve put fair prices on things because I can make another. I did make a cross pien that I particularly liked. A guys asked how much and I threw out a silly number and he pulled out his wallet and handed it over. I learned to not price things I don’t want to sell.