Jump to content
I Forge Iron


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Beavers

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Nebraska, USA

Recent Profile Visitors

512 profile views
  1. Arthur, I'm brand new to learning blacksmithing. I've spent at least 150 hours reading this forum and books trying to learn and I've not even scratched the surface of what a lot of these guys know. If you want to make a sword then you need a forge. I built my JAPOB forge for less than $20. Next thing you have to do is get metal hot and start working it. It's not as easy as it looks watching the pros doing it on YouTube. My first project was a simple J hook, next I made a S hook. I've been trying for the last week to learn forge welding and still can't get it right. I don'
  2. I'm just a little jealous Would love to be able to mill my own lumber...not a lot of forrest's out here in Nebraska though. It will be cool to see how your board and batten turns out. Much nicer looking that steel siding I'm sure.
  3. Sawing your own lumber from trees on your property is very cool. Are you making beams out of the ash or just boards?
  4. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to step back from welding for a little while and concentrate on getting the fire management figured out. I'm going to a hammer in next month so hopefully I can get some in person learning.
  5. Thanks Stevomiller After a few phone calls I was able to find a place that sells small quantities of 1018. I got 1/2" round since it was half the price of square. I will square it up before welding. I have zero confidence in my fire management skills at this point. I've exclusively used 1/4" and I've been able to get it to yellow, but based on the amount of scale I've been getting I think I've been using too much air. I've never been able to get sparks. I'll definately follow your suggestion and cut a chunk off my 1018 and experiment with fuel/air amounts until I can get it spa
  6. Daswulf your explanation does make sense..thanks. I'm going to stop at the local welding shop and see if I can get some 1018 1/2" square bar. There's a local hammer in a few weeks from now. I'm guessing this is one of those things that is much better to learn in person. If I can't get it figured out before then hopefully someone there will be able to help me. Wow Thomas...you were forge welding back when I was in diapers.
  7. Thanks for the feedback guys. You've given me a lot things to try. Any thoughts on how much air I'm using in the video? Too much...too little? Steve this is the Borax I used. It only listed one ingredient...some scientific name I don't remember.
  8. I've tried to do my homework. I've watched the forge welding videos from Black Bear Forge, Dennis Frechette and Joey Van Der Steeg. I read the sections on forge welding in the books I have and have searched back through the forum reading everything I could find on the subject. From probably a hundred different blacksmiths I have read or watched 150 different ways to forge weld. It's slightly confusing. I'm hoping that I can describe the steps I'm using good enough that possibly somebody can help me trouble shoot where I'm going wrong. I'll try to provide all the details, please let me
  9. I took Friday off of work so I had a long weekend to make charcoal. I started off by building the traditional three sided chimney. The chimney was filled with kindling and the logs were stacked tightly around it. With my small scaled down version of a charcoal pit the sides were too vertical for the leaves or dirt to stick. To build a pit with the correct shape and less sloped sides would of taken a ton more firewood and I didn't want to build that big of pit yet. So I rebuilt the pit inside the hole that I had been using for my previous charco
  10. BS03 I was having the same problem. Daswulf suggested an overnight soak in vinegar. I tried it this weekend and it worked great at removing all the scale. I wire brushed after the vinegar and it left it nice and clean looking.
  11. I feel the same way! Blacksmithing has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me. Sorry, I'm of no help with your book
  12. That turned out very nice! I'm pretty sure even weak concrete is rated for 3000psi. How many square inches is the steel base under the anvil? If that base is seated good I would be surprised if the average human could put out enough force by hitting an anvil on top of that plate to do any damage to the concrete. I'm not an engineer but I would think it would be fairly easy to calculate how much force would actually be hitting the concrete. Has anyone ever mushroomed the top of their stump by hitting on their anvil? The load is spread out. If you took a jackhammer to a stump it wouldn't l
  13. Swing and a miss again. I still only got about 50% of the wood to charcoal. I do have a 5 gallon bucket of charcoal that I was able to make for no cost. So it's not a loss. I'm going to keep experimenting and try to get it dialed in.
  14. Thanks Al, that was interesting reading. I really want to build one of those style pits now. I'm thinking 3-4 feet tall instead of the 15 foot tall like they did. I know there's easier and more efficient ways to make charcoal but I have fun trying to do things the old ways. A little bit of living history in my own backyard. At least there's some benefit to the brush fires ausfire. I'd be out picking it up and stockpiling too.
  • Create New...