• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike, not all of my monsters are monsterous lol. 

I like the idea of your tube but wonder if the diameter is big enough for quenching. Looking forward to see it finished and hear how it works. 

Grumpy, you are one polished guy. :) come on, make something rough and gruff. Haha.

I made these over the last few days. Pretty standard fare for the less experienced, but I learn a lot everytime I make something. I try and spend at least a couple hours everyday at the anvil. Improvement is incremental, but fun is constant. 

The opener at the right was partially made using a hacksaw and a lathe. Not recommended for the faint of heart...

BTW, nice first openers GB!

VvNvClY.jpg

56 minutes ago, Ted Ewert said:

I made these over the last few days.

Very nice job on the openers and hook, Ted! 

49 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Freaky Fair is fast approaching next weekend. 

Das, you must have quite a load of stuff ready for Freaky Fair by now. I assume that this is the (bi-annual?) event in Pittsburgh. I would think that your snakes and the great scorpions that you made would be perfect for that venue. Good luck with the sales!

Al (Steamboat)

Al, I really appreciate it. It's turned into a bi-annual event and it's now jurried. Fortunately they like my work. I was there this spring and I'd have to say I did ok. I'm working on what I learned from the last one. Smaller items sell. I wish I could make 20 scorpions before then but they are a bit of work, but sell great! Always on a crunch for time, its next weekend. 

The trick is threefold: shape of your fullering tool, spacing of the divots, and depth of punching. For the first, you want a fuller whose edges have the same radius as the bottom, with a quarter-sphere at the transition from bottom to edge. For the second, you want to the place the fuller far enough from the previous divot that punching doesn’t distort that last divot, but close enough that the ridge between divots isn’t too thick. For the third, you want to punch far enough down that the distance between the bottom of the fuller and the face of the anvil (that is, the final thickness of the peak of the sine wave) equals the distance between the divots. 

Make sense?

As always some excellent stuff on here. I had a bit of free time tonight and having looked at leafs on here all week I thought I would give it a go, how hard can it be he thinks. This one was Mark 4 and the first one that looked vaugley like a leaf, emphasis on the vaugley. At the same time I made a belt hook to hang my magnetic pick up stick from when I go shooting. I think of it as rough but functional, the main thing is it's fun to play with hot steel. 

The leaf was 1/2 square bar and the hook is 1/4 round bar. 

20180928_185034.jpg

20180928_185046.jpg

20180928_185101.jpg

Looks like a leaf to me Dax. For a good bit when I first started I kept getting cracking where the leaf (or anything else) was necked down. I rechecked what I was doing, learned more on here and kept trying and soon enough it's like it just clicked and I wasnt getting the cracking any more. Keep making them, they will only get better. 

The belt hook looks good and functional. Those could be good for holding whatever. Might have to borrow that idea. ;) Maybe flatten the belt loop part and even make it clip on with just a tad of spring to it, instead of threading the belt through? 

Cheers Das,  I will be keeping at it and I will get leafs sorted. Time and practice is the name of the game. 

Glad you like the belt hook, I thought about making it a slip on with a bit of tension to hold it in place but I decided for me it's better threaded through. My shooting belts has a pouch for 50 12 bore shell's and a second pouch with 10 spare shell's. When I take it off I re fasten the belt and chuck it in the top box of my bike then dump it on the garage shelf when I get home. I gaurentee I would lose the hook if there was any way it could come off. 

That's a very nice first knife, and also a nice looking hammer.;)

Littleblacksmith

Made three different Raku tongs to unload the kiln after glassing, to put the ceramic stuff in the oxygen reduction chambers (smokers).  Next, a crucible lifter and an pouring handler.

Today I will cast some heal axes and Roman spear points.

Das, wish you luck and a good business at the FF

Ted, seems like you found your own and very nice and reckonable style with the ECT (‘Ewert Cube Twist’) ;)

Have a nice weekend all, Cheers Hans

DSC00752.JPG

A quick experiment: gluing stems onto a pair of bone slabs, the easier to hold them against the platen on the grinder. 

EBCA0DBF-34A7-4071-9051-9B5BF540E96B.jpeg

(The rivet block is to hold the stems while the glue hardens; the glue itself is Shoe Goo rubber adhesive.)