I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On 10/6/2018 at 3:37 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

nice work.. Bandsaw for the cuts? 

Thank you, yes bandsaw for initial cuts. I only have a portaband, so it took me about 20 minutes for 5 cuts. Regretted it immediately upon starting the first cut. The foredome weighs probably 7lbs max, but that mount could probably could 100+ of bolted securely enough. 

I've only been absent here a few days, and missed lots of nice stuff. Great work everyone. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dang! Everybody has been doing some awesome stuff!
Good job all!

I spent some time hammering yesterday, and grinding today. Making a few "choppers".  Still pretty rough, but they are starting to shape up. (Bottom one is a 5/8 blade for size reference.)

The top one I am going to try a full bellied hollow grind. Not sure if I'm going to get it just right freehand grinding. It'll be a test for sure. 

20181007_173248.thumb.jpg.a77caa881a651307c0e04cdd945c2662.jpg

I'm steering toward  a cleaner  "tinkering" time.  When I see all the projects and items here on IFI  and when I have the inclination to give one of those items a whirl , it would be nice to use the propane instead of the coal for smaller items.  I'm not in production just a  heat and beat kind of guy.  Not into demos or events, have to try and stay non-commented .  I never know how the ol' body will feel from day to day. 

Stelie ,,,your blades have me intrigued.  The handles first twisted then ground flat ?

I’m tempted to try gas for two main reasons: consistent temperature (especially for knifemaking), and ease of startup. 

Considering that it took me an hour and a half to get a coal fire going this afternoon, the latter is looking particularly appealing right now....

25 minutes ago, Mudman said:

Nice Tongs jhcc!

Thanks, Mudman!

23 minutes ago, Mudman said:

Sfeile, looking good! What size wheel are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Mudman. I'm using a 3.3 inch wheel. Not ideal for this type of grinding, but it's what I have. An 8 inch would be better.

4 minutes ago, Reeltree said:

Stelie ,,,your blades have me intrigued.  The handles first twisted then ground flat ?

I twisted them and then hammered them flat. Then a little cleanup on the grinder while evening my thickness. The top one isn't going to get scales on it. It is going to be a kamisori style, or non folding. It was decided afterwards and then thought of doing a full twist. It didn't work out too well trying to match the original twist with a second try, so I am going to forge another to replace it.

It's actually a little bit thin for that width to have the proper bevel angle also, so I'll just practice my "smiling" grind on it. Or maybe narrow it a bit to change the ratio and salvage it. Not sure yet.

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

John,  Nice tongs..   While I appreciate the work put into the fuller I just have never liked rodded handles.. 

3 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

That’s a nice looking set of tongs John. 

I’ve gotten to where I like a rod handle for use with the power hammer but I like a bigger grip of some sort. 

Thanks to you both. I haven’t developed a strong preference for wooden handles vs. rodded. In this case, though, being able to use the preform without any modification (beyond notching it for the rod) was a big plus. 

6B87BF86-8B2E-4995-AB0A-52E77B8CC74F.jpeg

BECAUSE I'D GET TO MAKE ANOTHER PAIR!!!

Seriously, though, I'll have to see how it works out. They may be perfectly adequate; I just have to see how deep the crack goes and how much metal is left after filing. This was my first pair with this type of nib, and I'd be happy to give it another try.

One thing I did not immediately realize I had done in the shop yesterday was to get a sliver of metal in my eye. That tiny dot = PAIN. Even if it’s just a quick knocking off a burr, wear your safety glasses, people!

1FCAE710-D64A-413B-B956-6E52BF5B2CE0.jpeg

Big thanks to my eye doctor for getting it out.

No luck on the eyepatch, alas. Arrrgh, me harrrties!

"Miserable John" will be my blues guitarist name.

If it had been worse, I might even have been "Blind Miserable John". Dodged that bullet, though.

I learned that I will never take a torch to the spine of a knife to temper a little more. I did that today and I was going slow and low with the torch and saw a straw color coming from the spine and all of the sudden it turned purple and rushed to the edge. I put the blade in water to try to stop this madness but I file tested and it is extremely soft so I gotta heat treat again. :angry: