• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I completely agree. I do not like these proportions, and if it was another tomahawk I woulda just shortened the bit by maybe an inch and a half, but because I had the damascus edge I didn't really wanna cut it off and loose that work. I also agree about having more swoop down of a beard, I just didn't have enough steel to do so. 

Littleblacksmith

Glenn, thanks for the comments. The towel bar is going over a sink where the is no possibility to run against it. There aren't any catch points and it's getting painted then an automotive clear coat. I like the vinyl tube idea but I'll see how the finish holds up first

15 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

Jennifer, those wbc guys make everything look so so easy!

As they should..  lets face it working full time at a job makes a world of difference as to proficiency.  I just checked and this is my 3rd year back forging part time.. 

I have noticed that I forge now about 3 times a week and during the summer.or  past 2 months I've averaged about 4-5 times a week for about 1-2hrs..  except on weekends demoing where i get in 8 or 10hrs per day.. 

What a difference spending all that time at the fire..  If I were forging professionally again and pulling 10-12hrs a day forging I'd be in great shape in a few weeks.. 

I am just now starting to get back to some semblance of a person who used to know about forging and how to swing a hammer.. Another year at this pace I should be in pretty good shape.. 

littleblacksmith: that is a nice Hawk.. A little smaller and it would be a great traditional design..  did you base it off a vintage one? Picture perhaps? Very nice indeed.. 

You have a great eye.. Have you taken drawing lessons?  Do you draw now for fun? 

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

It would have to be a long, long way under 900. Remember, I have a daughter in college.

John, I get it..   While i work a bunch and I talk about money as if I have all the money in the world..   It is the exact opposite..   While the business does well.. Personally I made more money back in the 90's.. 

The only way I can do any of what I do is I am frugal and a saver.. A penny saved is a penny earned.. I don't stop for coffee or lunches out.. I bring water and if going on trips will stop at a store vs  pub or restaurant.. Luckily I don't have 2 many bad vices..  

This is how i save.. I also work on all my own cars/trucks,  and try to do as many household things I can..    The money adds up and as long as I have a goal in mind to keep saving for.. It does happen.. 

Thanks Das!

Thank you too Jlpservicesinc! No, not based on anything, I decided on forging it part way through the day as it had been about a year since I had forged one and I decided it had been a little too long since I've made one. 

If that comment about having a good eye was meant to me, than thank you! I am not a great drawer, never been taught. I have found though, that when laying out hammer billets where to punch, I can take my calipers and set them to the length that I think looks right and when I scribe the billet I am allwys no more than 1/8-3/16" it's crazy. I have found I am bad about being abstract. I have no imagination and have no interested in fiction books, and and find it hard to do abstract forgings like for sculptures etc. I guess I'm just to practical and narrow minded to be able to think up shapes and forms that would look nice, or maybe it's just cause I don't have any liking for abstract art. 

Littleblacksmith 

Ben,  Those are neat.. Well done..  I to was wondering if they are south paw.. only because of the bevel on the inside of the handles..  They are really neat.. 

LBS..  I when I was really young liked fantasy books..  When I was 8 is when I was first exposed to blacksmithing and when I started forging metal.. 

I gave up fantasy in favor of blacksmithing books and manuals..  I thus completely switched over to technical books and never looked back.. 

I did end up taking up drawing as I was told by someone that it would expand my ability as a smith nearly as much as just forging.. 

This drawing started out very crude and I eventually got to a point where the drawings of items I wanted to forge became pretty precise..   I later found this to be an important skill set and it did add to the ability in forging and forming metal as it created the ability to see lines and shading and forms more consistently..  

Just because I wasn't good at drawing or forging of metal for that matter was no reason for me not to or try to..  eventually I got them both.. 

Again you have a pretty good eye so you might surprise yourself.. :)   all it takes is a little practice.. :) LOL.. 

Ok, I swear, last scorpion before freaky fair. Unfortunately thats only 3 and the two sold well last time with some interest in more. Also a cross from a rr spike. I've made better but I feel it works. Also the start to a cork screw inspired by the latest talk of them. Made from coil spring. 

IMG_03102018_000149_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

IMG_03102018_000209_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

IMG_03102018_000237_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg

IMG_03102018_000807_(800_x_500_pixel).jpg

That is folks, Jennifer and Al, they’re not not lefties. I built them like I thought scissors handles were built but without the small thumb hole. It’s been a long while since I’ve seen a pair of scissors that weren’t utility shears. One side mighty be beveled opposite of you might think normal but they’re very comfortable in this format and can be used the same from either direction. I had a buddy use them tonight and he refused to give them up after using them.