• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My favorite pizza place in NYC had a coal-fired oven. It was blistering hot, and heated the whole place in wintertime. You’d sit in the old plywood booth and trace the layered and obliterated names of generations of lovers and idlers until your pie arrived, scorched on the bottom and bubbling on top. Culinary transcendence, quotidian nirvana. 

Had an old friend stop by; due to high winds he decided to take me up on my offer of crash space rather than tent camping at an SCA event.  He had handed out his large tent stakes to folks that were camping but only had the little wire nail stakes; so we got up this morning and hammered out another 16 of them from 1/2" sq stock 22 inches long. (I have a pile of that length bought as scrap from a large remodelling project at an apartment complex---they had to meet the 4" code on all their stairs and second story walkways and each 20' stick had a 22" piece left over...)  *AFTER* we went to the fleamarket this morning...of course.

Rough-forged a knife, based on an African dagger in the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Once this is finished, I think I might give it to my friend Charles, who just got tenure as a Professor of Africana Studies. 

433DB82A-B003-4157-8F02-9A53F171BE20.jpeg

(Coil spring, total length = about 8”)

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

JHCC, you did a really nice job.

Thank you!

I started with about 18” of freshly straightened coil spring. I split and drifted about 2-1/2”, starting about 3” from the end (the treadle hammer came in really handy for this part). I left the knife attached to the rest of the coil, which made a convenient handle. There was some upsetting at this stage, as I rounded out the ends of the slit by hammering them on the tip of the horn. Then I drew out the sides of the handle to increase the circumference. 

The next step was to preform and bevel the blade, deliberately leaving plenty of meat for filing/grinding to final shape. 

Next, I cut off the excess coil I’d been using for a handle, rough-shaped the butt end of the handle, tweaked the handle shape, heated to critical, and put in lime to anneal. Next steps: grind, harden, temper, finish.

Lessons learned:

1. Next time, cut a longer slit. Maybe use a slot punch at the ends. 

2. Shape the blade before drawing out the handle. The thin sections bent a lot as I was preforming the blade, and that led to some stress cracking (which I think/hope I got all ground out).

3. Upset more material into the ricasso. The original has some little prongs coming off the base of the blade, and I didn’t have enough material to attempt them. 

JLP; I didn't go to the SCA event having just done a 1000 mile car trip and getting back to find a lot of work waiting for me at the Factory (and having read the weather report---gusts up to 55 mph sustained winds over 35...) It's a neat site though "City of Rocks State Park".

I probably wouldn't have forged but my apprentice stopped by needing more stakes.

Also this: my neighbor wanted a hori hori with a longer than usual blade, so I made this to his specs. Material is a John Deere lawnmower blade without any heat treatment beyond as-forged normalization.

AC183F63-ED64-41E4-AF54-BF62EC107239.jpeg

(The blade is about 9”. I personally think the tang is too short, but that’s how he wanted it.)

11 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Dylan Sawicki, way to go..  lookin good..

Quite agree. Really like the dividers.

11 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I do one project every few weeks and think i got it going on.

Yeah, but your one project is about a thousand times better than ten of mine put together.