I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I was able to spend some time is the shop yesterday and this morning. Made a few things the were new to me.

First, a pair of simple penannular fibulae (for scale, they are 3" wide):

20240204_162145.thumb.jpg.1818e785dadc06cbee3cb43051ff80b4.jpg

Then this morning I practiced making reverse twists. Turned the first few experiments into two pendants and a hair pin. Then made another fibula:

20240204_163825.thumb.jpg.a8343d6080f1d7f063ef8f139fbf166e.jpg

Very satisfied with them. Learned a lot and nice results.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arthur, those are fantastic. Good clean work!

I got the cross peen sledge door prize done:

IMG_0837.jpeg.9e47633ae178b5c6ba3d76f005a3d0dc.jpegIMG_0838.jpeg.a797e6851c7564957aaf9009160a5f29.jpegIMG_0839.jpeg.8e6130d18fca8be235e909e0334fa181.jpeg

Of course, I mess up the simple stuff:

IMG_0840.jpeg.bca43e9de503954391e97ac04f4d9278.jpeg

It will make for good conversation at the hammer-in on Saturday! (Final weight was only 6-1/2lbs.)

Then I started work on the motorcycle chain clever commission:

IMG_0831.jpeg.df120cdbb936243522ba21a3f42d9cb2.jpeg

I’m not sure I can make this first attempt work. I thought it was going good, then the struggle began:IMG_0835.jpeg.a6c67fbf3d81267fd05dbfc955275224.jpegIMG_0836.jpeg.818522b7ccef472a675e651e29a1ace7.jpeg

I’m stepping away from it for a while to decide the next step. I may be able to savage it.

I did have luck with the core for the blade. 8670 with 15N20 side Sanmai. (Beside the chain billet in the overall picture.) When I finally get the chain welded up to my liking, the plan is for a gomai final billet. I’m not sure I trust the chain for a good tough edge on a clever. Time will tell…

Keep it fun,

David

IMG_0834.jpeg

Chad, penannular brooches are not intended for the hair.  They are fasteners for things like capes, cloaks, shawls, scarves, etc..  They are an early form of a safety pin and were used in the same manner.  They generally date from the first centuries BC to the mid medieval period.  They are probably too heavy for use in holding hair but I won't say that they couldn't be used as such if the pin were light enough and the wearer had heavy, thick hair.

GNM 

7 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Chad, penannular brooches are not intended for the hair.  They are fasteners for things like capes, cloaks, shawls, scarves, etc..

I think he was referring to the hair pin at the bottom of the second picture. Of course, I called it a hair pin but it could also be used as a chopstick or a magical wand. :D

Arthur is correct I was looking at the bottom item.   I've had very good luck selling hair pins. I usually start with 1/8 inch stock.   When I started with quarter inch my gf felt it was too heavy though I do start with that size of I'm going to split the end and draw it down for something decorative.  Here's one I've done in the past. 

output95image1707140848574.jpg

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Pretty slick, thanks for the link John.

Frosty The Lucky.

Kim's videos are generally worth watching. He's got a series running right now showing the process of him restoring and 18th century spitjack, a clockwork mechanism for slowly turning a roasting spit by the fire.

Yes, you are correct.  The stick thing is the hair piece, not the penannular.  It was late and I think I was making an assumption based on people looking at penannulars on my goods table and asking if they are for the hair.  Sorry.

G

4 hours ago, Chad J. said:

I've had very good luck selling hair pins. I usually start with 1/8 inch stock.   When I started with quarter inch my gf felt it was too heavy though I do start with that size of I'm going to split the end and draw it down for something decorative.  Here's one I've done in the past.

Very nice!

Yes, I remember reading that forged hair pins are usually considered too heavy. The one I made is from 1/4" stock, so I don't expect it to really be useful as a hair pin. It was more of a test piece on reverse twists (those were the first I made and thus uneven) that I turned into something potentially useful, if only for display.

Got a bunch of work done compared to what I usually do. Almost done with the rose for glenns memorial, and ended up having to make a nail header to finish the stem. All in all, a productive day!

20240208_180602.jpg

20240208_180553.jpg

i enjoyed making the curl on the handle of the nail header, not very comfortable but i think if i inset it into the handle and made it flush with the side it could turn out very interesting

next time ;)

Nice work Ted, I like the wood handles. 

I spent the past couple hours putting together another "hot dog".   I made the insert thinner than the last one, so mabe I'll have better luck.  Here it is fitted up, wired up, brushed up, and fluxed up.  Tomorrow is welding day. anotherhotdog(Copy).jpg.8d2ee165f3faac9c0a75d8d6021c496b.jpg

For some reason I didn't "submit reply" yesterday. (I blame it on SWMBO flappin' her gums about politics)

Anyway, it is now tomorrow afternoon.  and welding day went pretty good. But first, Those roses look awesome, I wish I could do something like that. :D

So, today I started with a nice clean forge, and good clean fire, with coke from yesterday to start.  I started the welding process at the handle, then worked my way out to the end.  It took several heats, fluxing as I go.  I kept the HC outside fluxed an that helped to keep the scale loss down. (thanx Frosty)  It took several heats to welding temp over the length of the bar.  Got it welded, and no cracks on the edge. Then I stopped to clean out the clinker.  Why izzit that lately clinker has been fusing its self to the grate?  I pull on the clinker, and the grate comes with it, dumping the fire to the ash bucket.  So, I bust the clinker off the grate, put it back in, and restart the fire. I found that I can toss in a small piece of cardboard, then rake the coke back in, and slowly crank the blower.  The pot, and coke are still hot enough to ignite the cardboard.  I then started the drawing and shaping. 

nocracks..jpg.0ddf098ee7e279a38d8966bb57361c5f.jpg

It was looking good, untill I brushed it off, and turned it on edge. 

unwelded.jpg.48ac681e49309968fbed054f266979da.jpg

It appears to have some unwelded spots along the spine.  I'm hoping that it's only on the edge, but I'll see what I can do with it in the drawing, and shaping process.  I'm going to continue until I either finish, or the HC cracks.   

I have a demo coming up in a few weeks at the "Conneticut Blacksmiths Guild" which will be a the Mystic Seaport Museum.   The shop there is a wonderful place for a visit. 

I asked the person who reached out what they would like me to demo..   Interestingly she said "Forge welding". 

This falls in line with the last class I did at PV and a future class coming up in ME a week before the ABANA meet in PA which is it's 50yrs celebration. 

I will be there both competing in the group comp, but also demonstrating and teaching" Hinges".. 

So since I nearly lopped off my right hand I figured I'd better make up some samples of what I'll be teaching/demoing at the CBG meet.. (Since certain motions are extremely difficult/painful.)  This is kinda cool because it seems nearly all the demo/teaching events will revolve around the same basic skill of forge welding.. 

So yesterday I spent a few hours making a bolt, a welded socket, a leaf duo and a poker point. 

My hammer swing is funky because of how maimed the wrist is, but still able to forge..  Just not peen that well.  Will need more time with the hammer or choose a hammer with a larger/wider peen. 

While the overall shape of the leaves are decent, the spine running down the middle and the veins are not what they should be. 

I'll get in a few more practice sessions and try to dial it in more. 

20240210_180600[1].jpg